Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 9:30 pm

Post subject: Re: Nath of the Gilt-Leaf (BG Enchantress)
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-30 3:17 am 

Death Pits of Rath might actually just bring all the hate your way. Even though you can make some 1/1 token babies from Nath, people will still want to take you out fast to get rid of the enchantment (unless they draw removal for it). Perhaps Grave Pact would be a better deterent.

Ratchet Bomb could be a good replacement for your Powder Keg. Essentially a board-sweeper for tokens for only 2 mana. Even better if you use Grave Pact and had your own tokens out :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-30 3:50 am 

Superstrength79 - Indeed, people do freak out when they see Death Pits of Rath. Same goes for Grave Pact, The Abyss, Spreading Plague that are all in the list already. The beauty is - if they want to kill you, they have to deal with these enchantments first. Once they use their disenchant on them.... then there is no reason to go after me, right? :lol: At least that is my reasoning.

For tokens... Maybe I should put in a good old Pestilence. Muehehehe :twisted: .

Sadly, my decks tend to draw an unnatural amount of hate, because:
1. I like playing obscure cards from older sets and use not-so-obvious interactions.
2. I have played lots of different decks in the past and create a new one every now and then.

When people don't know what to expect from me, they tend to target me as a safety measure against the unknown. This deck does not win much actually, but the games with it are quite interesting and entertaining (and long). By the standards I have put on this piece, it really works!

Now I reeeeeally like the Pestilence idea... It even comboes with Death Pits of Rath :twisted:. It would also make some of the cards I had taken out before (Bloodchief Ascension, Wound Reflection a bit better. Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-30 5:32 am 

As a player of a token deck, the card that gets me scared shitless is Massacre Wurm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-30 6:13 am 

I bet! There is something eerie about the "Laughing wurm". Too bad he will never make it in this deck - he is not an enchantment :cry: .

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-30 6:25 am 

If you are going to put Pestilence in there to combo with Death Pits of Rath, you might want some kind of way to give a creature indestructible... like Darksteel Plate. Otherwise you just made a two-card combo of Damnation.

EDIT:
Death Pits of Rath = I need to get taken out first because I'm messing up everyone's combat

Grave Pact = deal with me later (unless I'm saccing a bunch of creatures)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 2:15 am 

Pestilence should not be a problem to keep on the table with one of the token generators. Just wipe the table, then drop another token / Bloodghast / Reassembling Skeleton, so long as there is a creature in play by the end of the turn trigger resolution. I like it because it also seems to deal with the tokens menace. Now I have to find me a Pestilence from Beta edition...

Death Pits of Rath should indeed be dropped with caution. If I manage to get some tokens, it should be hard to gang up on me with creatures. If I find this card is more pain than fun, I will take it out for something else. Maybe Death Match will go back in

Yesterday, I played a fun game! Lifegift, Grim Feast and No Mercy were MVP, keeping me alive and kicking (was high in the 60's at one point). Saved many players from a horde of flying dragons thanks to Ensnaring Bridge. Many laughs and curses (and a facepalm from a friend who knows the card too well already) ensued from playing Endless Whispers, since we had Eternal Witness, Wurmcoil Engine and Rune-Scarred demon changing sides quite a few times.
Managed to get through two board wipes, dropping a new enchantress effect right after each. Then I managed to stick Mana Reflection and Mind Slash and Nath, discarding everybody's hand next turn. I think it was a mistake, I s hould have let others play the cards that did not interfere with my game plan, instead of discarding them. It would give me more breathing room to assemble a win. Game ended with Scion of the Ur-Dragon player killing us all out of the blue thanks to Wild Pair, reviving Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund with wild-paired Bladewing the Risen and attacking for the win. Now I realised it was not a legal play to activate Wild Pair by casting general... but oh well, too late for that :) . Overall, we had great fun (attested by all players involved)!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 9:11 am 

Rowen is better if you run Sensei's Divining Top, but Mirri's Guile is actually better here. Cream of the Crop can help a little there, too.

Dowsing Shaman provides some more recursion, and isn't as bad as it looks, especially in a deck like this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-09 6:45 am 

Can I suggest a Creeping Renaissance over a Dowsing Shaman?

You look quite vulnerable to mass enchantment sweep and renaissance will really help you recover.

I built a Nath deck a while ago, it's a very different strategy though. Mine is kinda like Discard + a variant of the One with Nature Nettle Sentinel combo that dogged Extended for a while. Link below.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3994

One of the suggestions somebody posted was Fecundity + Sac + Words of Wilding.

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Last edited by DAAAN on 2011-Dec-09 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-09 7:09 am 

No love for yawgmoth?

Yawgmoth's Will
Yawgmoth's Agenda

Offline Profile