Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 9:11 am

Post subject: 2nd EDH deck: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Equipment)
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-14 8:17 pm 

G-E-N-E-R-A-L:Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

EQUIPMENT: 15

Basilisk Collar
Skullclamp
Umezawa's Jitte
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Nim Deathmantle
Darksteel Plate
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Vengeance
Bonehoard
Argentum Armor

CREATURES: 26

Kor Duelist
Serra Ascendant
Mother of Runes
Figure of Destiny
Dragonmaster Outcast
Gorilla Shaman
War Priest of Thune
Stoneforge Mystic
Auriok Edgewright
Puresteel Paladin
Grand Abolisher
Bitterblossom
Mirran Crusader
Kemba, Kha Regent
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Ranger of Eos
Hero of Bladehold
Indomitable Archangel
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Guardian Beast
Stonehewer Giant
Baneslayer Angel
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
Sun Titan
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Inferno Titan

REMOVAL: 7

Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Terminate
Return to Dust
Phyrexian Rebirth
Austere Command
Karn Liberated

MANA ACCELERATION: 6

Mox Opal
Sol Ring
Orzhov Signet
Fellwar Stone
Darksteel Ingot
Thran Dynamo

AUXILIARY: 7

Nihil Spellbomb
Sensei's Divining Top
Demonic Tutor
Burning Wish
Phyrexian Arena
Crucible of Worlds
Waves of Aggression

MANA PRODUCING LANDS: 38

Colorless Lands- {4}

Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge
Homeward Path
Kher Keep

CIPT {comes into play tapped} Lands- {2}

Lavaclaw Reaches
Bojuka Bog

Normal Non-Basic Lands- {17}

Command Tower
Scrubland
Plateau
Badlands
Marsh Flats
Arid Mesa
Bloodstained Mire
Godless Shrine
Sacred Foundry
Sulfurous Springs
Fetid Heath
Rugged Prairie
Graven Cairns
Flagstones of Trokair
Ancient Den
Vault of Whispers
Great Furnace

Basic Lands- {15}

(9) Plains
(4) Swamp
(2) Mountain

SIDEBOARD: 10 (Intended for use with Burning Wish)

White- {3}

Solemn Offering
Wrath of God
Iona's Judgment

Black- {5}

Chainer's Edict
Exsanguinate
Perish
Gruesome Encore
Syphon Mind

Red- {2}

Epicenter
Insurrection

(Basic Theme or Central Idea of the Deck): The focus of this deck is designed around an equipment theme. Originally, I was going to go dual color white/red because of the obvious equipment synergy cards such as Kemba, Kha Regent, Godo, Bandit Warlord, etc. However, I was using the "gatherer.wizards" system looking for ideas for creatures with interesting artifact synergy and I noticed Guardian Beast from Arabian Nights. I always enjoy using old cards mixed with the newer ones (especially when it's an old creature that is still somewhat useable) for nastalgic purposes. I pictured an awesome scene where this Guardian Beast is swinging at opponents with 2 or 3 equipment attached to him with them being either unable to target my creature (Swiftfoot Boots, Sword of Body and Mind, etc.) or destroy him with mass removal (Darksteel Plate or Nim Deathmantle). And to top it off, the opponents would not be able to mass remove or destroy the equipments protecting the beast. Of course he will need some vigilance (Sword of Vengeance or Batterskull *I have not been able to find anyone willing to trade this one yet :| *). Other cards will work very similar to this idea, Leonin Abunas (*do not have yet*) and Indomitable Archangel.

(Metagame): This deck is designed for a small multiplayer game up to 4 players or a secret alliance game with 5 or 6 players. If the deck does not come out of the gate swinging or a massive board wipe or discard effect does not hurt the long-term strategy players (i.e. blue mages), then this deck will not achieve victory. But, it is a lot of fun to play and I enjoy choosing which equipments to tutor for, etc.

(Number Breakdowns): I will include this section once I acquire more of the cards that I need for this deck.

Wort, Boggart Auntie: Goblin Tribal

Last edited by Misago on 2011-Aug-14 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2nd EDH deck: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Equipment)
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-14 9:13 pm 

Since I have finished posting the basic list of what I have so far for the deck, I will go into more detail about what I am trying to add to the deck and why I did not add the infamous Sunforger to this deck.

1st things 1st, cards that I am trying to acquire...

Soltari Visionary <-----> I will replace War Priest of Thune with this card because they have similar applications. The only thing that I do not like about the priest is that I have to wait for someone to play an enchantment before I can fully utilize him. If I draw him in my opening hand and I only have him as a creature, I pretty much have to play him to get the early aggresion game moving. I can play the visionary at any time and not only is he a virutally unblockable striker, but he can kill mulitple enchantments.

Needle Specter <-----> Auriok Edgewright will be replaced by this specter that I have wanted to abuse since it came out in Eventide. It just seems like a lot of fun to equip one "Sword" onto the needle spectre and make someone discard 3 cards out of their hand on top of damage. Also, the spectre has "wither" which could come in handy in case I need to hurt an indestructible blocker or attacker. The Auriok is very brutal when I happen to have 3 artifacts out on the field, but many times he has just been a vanilla 2/2 after board wipes or before I can get enough equipment out on the battlefield.

Leonin Abunas <-----> I will drop Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer for the Abunas because it is a major part of my original deck construction idea, equipped creatures that are hard to get rid of along with equipment that is either untargetable or indestructible.

Desolation Angel <-----> It was hard to have to choose Inferno Titan for the cut for the land clearing angel, but my deck has a difficult to impossible time in the late game, so I need an answer against the 15 card hand blue/green player who has cast Kodama's reach, Cultivate, etc. mulitple times with Regrowth, and he is about to go off with Time Strecth and about 3 to 4 Counterspell type effects of backup. This is the finisher for that player if he has no early game threats out. Understood that he can counter this spell, but he will have to.

Batterskull <-----> Replacing Bonehoard with this for the vigilance for my Guardian Beast along with the 8,000 other obvious reasons that this equipment is really good.

-Other cards that I am thinking about trying out or including if I could ever acquire them are: Hammer of Ruin, Coalition Relic, Mana Crypt, Blood Crypt, Caves of Koilos, and Battlefield Forge.

And now for the discussion about not including Sunforger...

I have seen the brutal power of sunforger in many games, a card draw engine that equals a tutor for an answer to the threat that is on the board at that time. The only reason that I do not include in this deck is because there is no room for the 6 to 10 4 mana or less removal cards without drastically weakening my removal base as a whole (it is already extremely weak with only 7 cards and also a Burning Wish, not to mention this deck has almost no card draw). If this deck was a white/red/black non-equipment theme deck, then the sunforger would make it. Basically, I realized I could not include the card in the deck after deciding I would go heavy equipment theme, in other words, I would include 15 equipment, not like 5 or 6 with a Stoneforge Mystic to grab them. Now, if you run 15 equipment in an EDH deck, you need to run almost twice the number of creatures to even make the deck function. Even with the number of creatures I run in this deck at the moment, I still sometimes draw 3 equipment and nothing to equip them on. Now, if you run 15 equipment and 30 creatures, that only leaves you with only 16 non-land cards! (based off of 99 cards - 38 lands - 30 creatures - 15 equipment) Even after that, you still need to run 6 mana acceleration cards and few essentials, Demonic Tutor, Sensei's Divining Top, Nihil Spellbomb, etc. Essentially, there is very little room for anything else other than equipment and creatures. For the games that I do not draw Stoneforge Mystic, Stonehewer Giant *which would have to stay alive long enough to use the ability*, Demonic Tutor, or Sunforger, I want my removal section to be stronger than just 4 mana or less re/white instants (Karn Liberated, Phyrexian Rebirth, Austere Command, etc. Anyways, I thought I would attempt to defend the decision not to include the Sunforger before the incoming storm, just kidding :shock: !

Anyways, if you have any suggestions or comments regarding this post or the decklist, I would love to hear them. If you have an equipment theme decklist or you really like someone else's build, feel free to post a link to the decklist or even post it here. Let me know your thoughts!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-15 4:42 pm 

I will give this post a bump :?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-15 6:50 pm 

Don't know if you're interested in increasing the usefulness of your general, since most people seem to classify Tariel as garbage. I've been playing Tariel since the Commander decks came out and I'm still not sure if her ability is really worth it to build around too much. Some cards that I've found that work well with her are Withered Wretch and Nezumi Graverobber, which allow you to be little more selective with what you're getting from your opponents. And they're fine creatures on their own too if you need some graveyard hate.

If you can get your hands on one, Maze of Ith is also nice with Tariel, since you can attack, use her ability at the end of combat, untap her with maze and use the ability again... Or you can of course most of the time use it in the regular way and just protect yourself from nasty opposing creatures.

Got absolutely nothing to say about the equipment theme. Since I've never played an equipment deck, I can't really give any suggestions :)

Kaalia of the Vast
Karametra, God of Harvests
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Radha, Heir to Keld
Ruhan of the Fomori

Offline Profile