Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:49 am

Post subject: Little Deck of Horrors
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-24 12:54 am 

This is a personal favorite of mine as it revolves around my favorite creature tribe from the early days of magic: Fungi! Ever since I opened my first Fallen Empires pack to find a cute little Thallid staring back at me I've been making decks designed around it. Finally I've managed to make an EDH with it :lol:

The deck seeks to win by generating massive amounts of tokens and then either a) overrunning the board or b) controlling the board with forced sacrifice affects via the likes of Braids. The deck seeks to generate card advantage more through graveyard recursion than the usual card drawing affects which results in some nice synergies and feels "on theme" to me.

Note that the token generators I've chosen all produce their tokens for free with no upkeep or activation costs. After a lot of trial and error with "superior" creature generators I've found the deck runs most smoothly with this design.

The deck is pretty much "done" aside from copies of smokestack and the abyss which I'm still trying to track down but any suggestions you all can provide would be great!

LITTLE DECK OF HORRORS

GENERAL
Thelon of Havenwood

FUNGI (16)
Deathspore Thallid
Feral Thallid
Mycoloth
Psychotrope Thallid
Savage Thallid
Spore Flower
Sporesower Thallid
Sporoloth Ancient
Thallid
Thallid Devourer
Thallid Germinator
Thallid Shell-Dweller
Thorn Thallid
Tukatongue Thallid
Utopia Mycon
Vitaspore Thallid

PROLIFERATE (5)
Contagion Clasp
Contagion Engine
Fungal Bloom
Plaguemaw Beast
Spread the Sickness

TOKENS (12)
Awakening Zone
Bitterblossom
Elvish Farmer
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Golgari Germination
Honden of Life's Web
Master of the Wild Hunt
Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
Necrogenesis
Night Soil
Saproling Symbiosis
Verdant Force

I WIN (7)
Beastmaster Ascension
Eldrazi Monument
Epic Struggle
Garruk Wildspeaker
Overrun
Overwhelming Stampede
Vitalizing Wind

SACRIFICE (7)
Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Braids, Cabal Minion
Butcher of Malakir
Call to the Grave
Grave Pact
Magus of the Abyss
Sheoldred, Whispering One

CARD ADVANTAGE (7)
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Hell's Caretaker
Hibernation's End
Nezumi Graverobber
Phyrexian Arena
Phyrexian Reclamation

REMOVAL (5)
Beast Within
Desert Twister
Living Death
Maelstrom Pulse
Putrefy

LANDS (x40)
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Bayou
Command Tower
Gilt-Leaf Palace
Golgari Rot Farm
Llanowar Wastes
Overgrown Tomb
Pine Barrens
Tainted Wood
Twilight Mire
Verdant Catacombs
Vivid Grove
Vivid Marsh
Barren Moor
Polluted Mire
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket
Dryad Arbor
Khalni Garden
Mutavault
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
Mosswort Bridge
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Pendelhaven
Contested War Zone
Volrath's Stronghold
Yavimaya Hollow
Swamp (x6)
Forest (x6)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Little Deck of Horrors
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 12:51 pm 

Doubling Season called, it wants to know why it isn't invited to the party :cry:. Gaea's Cradle also removed you from his friend's list.

Your fungus department is missing Mold Shambler
Your saproling department is missing Sprout Swarm and Thelonite Hermit

Since you're attacking with swarms of saprolings, might as well add Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Verdoloth the Ancient and Nemata, Grove Guardian (!).

Rings of Brighthearth was another addition in my deck that worked pretty well. Sac one saproling through Attrition, kill 2 creatures and let everyone sac because of Grave Pact. That being said, where is Attrition?

That being said, i found my Fungus deck (including all the goodies like Abyss, Contamination, Braids, Smokestack) very underpowered compared to alternatives. Maybe it's because my previous token deck was Rhys the Redeemed, which could literally explode and vomit elves all over people. However playing cute, yet crappy, fungus.. err fungi and having to wait 2-3 turns to make a 1/1 is not exactly stellar. In addition, you need quite a bit of board presence outside of your tokens to get going, which makes you very vulnerable to sweepers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 2:33 am 

Quote:
Doubling Season called, it wants to know why it isn't invited to the party :cry:. Gaea's Cradle also removed you from his friend's list.

You're right of course. I'm embarrassed :oops: that I forgot to mention this in my previous post as these two cards are obviously the first thing that anyone would bring up: my local shop maintains its own ban list which includes doubling season and Gaea's cradle. :roll:
Quote:
Your fungus department is missing Mold Shambler

Mold Shambler is one of the best Fungi but it doesn't get spore counters or produce tokens and as a removal piece it's only so-so. Tukatongue Thallid isn't as good and I should probably swap the two but Tuka made the cut simply because it has the name "thallid" and I consider it a Thallid deck.
Quote:

Since you're attacking with swarms of saprolings, might as well add Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Verdoloth the Ancient and Nemata, Grove Guardian (!).

Until very recently I had Kamahl, Fist of Krosa in my deck and I finally took him out as a dead card. I've come to see it as a giant target on my head. Either a) I don't have the creature presence for him to matter or b) I do have the creatures and everyone at the table instantly turns on me after seeing that my next turn will wipe the table. Overrun effects seem to work best from my hand as a surprise. Of course, Garruk Wildspeaker might be seen the same way be he also gives me tokens and mana.
My earliest iteration of this deck used Nemata, Verdoloth and the Hermit but I've since come to see focusing on Saprolings to be a sub-par theme and I took all of their support out- increasing the power of half my creatures just doesn't cut it.
Quote:
Rings of Brighthearth was another addition in my deck that worked pretty well. Sac one saproling through Attrition, kill 2 creatures and let everyone sac because of Grave Pact. That being said, where is Attrition?

Rings of Brighthearth is genius!!!! :lol: I don't know why that didn't occur to me before- it's totally going in! Attrition is also a great idea, I'm going to try this one out as well.
Quote:
That being said, i found my Fungus deck (including all the goodies like Abyss, Contamination, Braids, Smokestack) very underpowered compared to alternatives. Maybe it's because my previous token deck was Rhys the Redeemed, which could literally explode and vomit elves all over people. However playing cute, yet crappy, fungus.. err fungi and having to wait 2-3 turns to make a 1/1 is not exactly stellar. In addition, you need quite a bit of board presence outside of your tokens to get going, which makes you very vulnerable to sweepers.

This is all true, but I didn't build the deck in order to be my best deck- I built it to play my favorite creature. :P That being said, non-token decks that I come up against have a lot of trouble dealing with the likes of Braids, Cabal Minion and her ilk turn after turn. Also, although the thallids are an underwhelming source of tokens in modern magic, they do pair extremely well with my general. I always leave the spore counters on my Fungi until I need them and often I catch opponents (even those who should know better) off guard when I cast Thelon and send a bunch of 10/10+ thallids coming their way. :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 2:41 am 

If cradle and doubling season are banned at your place, i don't wanna know what else is banned (or allowed to run free since i can think of much worse :P)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 3:50 am 

lol don't get me started :roll:
I only just recently convinced him that lightning greaves wasn't ban worthy..
Although, to be fair, having an extra ban list does help remind everyone about the "social contract" we hear so much about- nobody around hear plays decks that are completely degenerate anymore. Overall it does lead to a better play experience even if I often question the particular cards chosen- I mean, doubling season? really? :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 4:24 am 

Lightning Greaves...
Jeez, i think some people of your playgroup would cry if they sit at a more competitive table, no offense. Isn't part of the fun to find a way to keep your group in balance instead of banning everything that looks remotely dangerous?

Our group has people that plop down turn 2 Wort, the Raidmother to go turn 3 double natural order and sweep the table. Then again, those are also the people where you can whip out a beatdown deck and smash em into a pulp (demonic tutor -> berserk -> ding. dead). So yeah you can sweep the table in a few minutes with no interaction, but it probably means you're the first one to go in the next game (and if the first game was really evil, you're the first one to go in the game after that :P).
No deck is ever allowed to run rampant for more than a few weeks. Either people start gunning for that person or the deck is truly degenerate and thus boring (and gets discarded).

To compare, our group uses the regular ban list with only one added rule. Consecrated Sphinx suffers from the legend rule. This to prevent 2 people drawing their deck while the rest sits on the sidelines.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 4:26 am 

Ps. mold shambler kills any non-creature permanent, is a 3/3 recurrable/saccable body and is a fungus (sporesower thallid!). It doesn't get much better than that ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 4:39 am 

Have you considered picking up the Commander precon with Ghave, Guru of Spores in it? Or even just picking up a copy of him?

He'd make a great general for a shroom tribal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 4:51 am 

This is true, and you can add Thelon as a backup. White has a lot of sweet additions :)

Offline Profile