Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 7:34 pm

Post subject: Erayo (Awful isn't it?)
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-12 11:36 am 

I know that a deck like this typically draws a lot of hate, and I know I will probably get some flak for even posting this deck, but my goal is to see if there's anything else I can squeeze in here to maximize its efficiency and see if I've made any errors in my card choices.

My goal when making this build was not to wholly rely on always having to flip Erayo early. I wanted to make an Erayo build where even if I don't flip her, I can still hang with the best of 'em. As it stands right now, the deck will flip early quite often (around 80% of the time). As I stated prior, I am really just curious if there are any bad card choices I've made when constructing this.

Last edited by crstisalie on 2011-Jul-12 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Erayo (Awful isn't it?)
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-12 4:09 pm 

mana maze is awful and you are missingnoble benefactor

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-12 4:20 pm 

SPARTACVS wrote:
mana maze is awful and you are missingnoble benefactor

Thanks for the suggestion(s), however I find Mana Maze to be quite the contrary in this deck. It creates a soft lock in most situations, but I probably would take it out for a Noble Benefactor

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-12 5:05 pm 

The fewer colours available to a deck, the more Mana Maze becomes a second Arcane Laboratory. That said, it could hurt you the most, unless you can duck between artifacts and blue cards, which is entirely possible. Mana-maze is really telling in the blue-family control mirror, as blue spells basically can't be countered by blue spells (though, Erayo still hurts them bad).

More advice to come later.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-12 6:03 pm 

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far.

I took out Mana Maze for a Voltaic Key. I still need a Noble Benefactor though... I'll just have to find room

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-13 4:39 am 

I've always been a fan of Stormtide Leviathan in blue decks. It's a nice way to slow down attackers coming your way as well. If you decide to try out High Tide for some extra mana, leviathan helps out there too.

A specific suggestion for your deck, though, is Caged Sun. Only you benefit from the extra mana, and it will buff your creatures to boot. A great target for Phyrexian Metamorph as well!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 9:54 am 

Why Spell Crumple and no Hinder? Ornithopter and no Memnite or Cloud of Faeries? Aether Spellbomb and no Seal of Removal?

Grim Monolith is not quite as good as Mana Vault for flipping Erayo, but you still have a lot of giant mans like Guile and Tidespout Tyrant to turbo out.

As a previous poster mentioned, Caged Sun or even Gauntlet of Power or Extraplanar Lens could be very good, but I understand that tapping out is not exactly what you want to do with this deck. Still, I like the Lens for speed, and the card disadvatage you can pretty quickly gain back with the draw and Erayo and whatnot.

Edit: Treachery is pretty spicy too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 10:12 am 

Man, I forgot that I had some to add. Here are some 'staples' you might be missing:
Urza's Bauble & Mishra's Bauble — These cards appear pretty useless and innocuous, and they are exactly that with two key features: they are free, and they draw a card. Rather than get stuck with 0 cost chaff in your hand in the post-flip world, these buggers draw you a replacement card once they've done their job (which is to flip Erayo).
Tormod's Crypt — All decks should have some modicum of Graveyard hate. This card is exactly that, while also being a free spell for Erayo's count.
Cloud of Faeries — Free spells are free. This guy cycles if you don't need it, which is good as you could hope for.

What you might want to cut:
War Tax — This card isn't as good as Propganda. It probably wont really affect your opponents because there is already a bottleneck on the number of creatures they'll have in play. Granted, they'll be paying a lot for every creature they cast, but the point is that you have to pay into it also, which is pretty weak.
Mox Opal — As cute as this beasty is, you're probably not hitting Metalcraft most of the time you need this. In the early game, it will often be a completely dead draw. In the late game, it's just another land.
Ornithopter — This is exactly the '0' cost chaff that you probably shouldn't run. It's one thing to run freebies because you want to flip Erayo in a hurry, it's another thing to be playing with crap that doesn't even replace itself with a draw.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile