Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 6:37 am

Post subject: God Hand Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 8:21 am 

Earlier today I was playing my competive Daretti deck and the hand I pulled was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in EDH. It was Mana Crypt, Simian Spirit Guide, Seething Song, Treasonous Ogre, Trinisphere, Wheel of Fortune, and Ward of Bones. How the hand worked:

1. Play Crypt, Ape, and Song into Ogre.

2. Pay 27 life with Ogre to play Daretti, Sphere, and Wheel (in that order).

3. Sad Crypt to bring Ward back from the yard.

4. Sit back and laugh as you hold a full grip of cards while your opponents can't do anything.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: God Hand Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 8:59 am 

That is brutal...

Pretty much any hand that can quickly dump and then windfall/wheel back to full is a great start.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 9:12 am 

No land hand? I woulda mull'd

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 9:54 am 

Unless I'm reading Ward of Bones wrong, they can play their first land, but then of course if you don't play a land that's as much as they can do. Brutal is right!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 3:06 pm 

It's not quite the god hand as that, but Llanowar Elves turn one into Varolz turn two into Buried Alive turn three for Brawn and Death's Shadow for 15 trample Commander damage is rather rough on people.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-29 5:42 am 

I've opened some mix of Mishra's Workshop, Crypt/Ring/Vault, Grim Monolith, Thran Dynamo and Ugin, the Spirirt Dragon. On turn 2 i filtered my artifact-mana only from Workshop into casting the Dynamo to cast Ugin and ult on turn 4. It was so satisfying.

It was Mishra, which basically seeks to cast Karn by t3 or start locking lands with Land Equilibrium/Overburden (and then Strip Mine/Crucible of Worlds). Plus other normal artifact combos you can probably just guess.

Another fun Mishra one was like Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Sculpting Steel, Clock of Omens, Mycosynth Lattice and some type of tutor. I accel and by turn 4 i had already made the Lattice and used Daretti to bring back Darksteel Forge and then found Nevinyrral's Disk. More or less was lucky not to run into cheap removal early but it counts as god hand i guess.

In an older version of Mimeoplasm, i opened up with Forbidden Orchard, Defense of the Heart, Sol Ring, Craterhoof Behemoth, some clone guy and some other randoms. Turn 2 Defense, turn 3 triggers and get Palinchron/Deadeye, infinite mana, Craterhoof, Clone, infinite blink Craterhoof, booped the other two players.

During a tournament once, we had weird numbers for pods so we did a round for grand finals as 1v1 (which is in insane while using multiplayer ban list). I opened mana accel like Birds, Ring, Crypt, Skyshroud Claim along with an Acidic Slime. I don't recall the exact cards i used, but i blew up a land with Slime on turn 3, countered his Sol Ring next turn (he fetched up with Trinket Mage), baited him into blocking with his Trinket Mage against slime before playing my Volrath's Stronghold for turn, and then recycling Slime to top for turn 5 and blew up another land. Then, i found a clone and shot down another land and he conceded after his Sylvan Library was also countered by me. He wasn't drawing any new lands and his whole hand was Thran Dynamo/Gilded Lotus type of stuff. Somewhere along that line i had drawn some cards, and i think it was Rhystic Study maybe. Or there was more clones, i can't recall exactly.

I don't usually get god hands with anything else because most of my decks are rather casual (that is, sometimes kind of bad). A god hand for some of my decks is like Sol Ring + Skyshroud Claim + 2 fetchlands, then i just have the luxury of continually casting fatness.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-29 6:21 am 

I've recently realized with my Karlov deck that any hand that has Serra Ascendant, Necropotence and the right lands to cast those two cards + Karlov, that's pretty much a godhand, regardless of what the other 3 or 4 cards are. Thing I love about Karlov is, it's deck where I'm still very happy to have Sol Ring, but it rarely enables any stupid things super early. If I have a Sol Ring and a Soul Warden variant, I'm dropping the Cleric instead of the Ring first 99% of the time.

One exception is if I have a Signet, too - then I go Sol Ring, Signet, into T2 Karlov with three more mana to do whatever. Probably a Soul Warden/Attendant and a Stoneforge Mystic.

Kalemne had some gross starts, too. T1 Sol Ring, T2 Kalemne, T3, any 5-drop creature OR relevant equipment was basically the nuts.

Best hand I've had with Feldon, I only remember 3 cards in the original 7 - one Mountain, Gamble, Faithless Looting. No other lands, the other 4 cards were random high-cost stuff. Kept it. Hit two more lands off the T1 Looting, discarding fat. Gambled for a Sol Ring, discarded another piece of fat, dropped Sol Ring. T3, went Land, Lightning Greaves, Feldon, Equip. Pretty sure the game was over by T7.

Best hand of my entire EDH career, though, was with a Mayael deck: T1 Land, Sol Ring, Signet. T2, Land, Guilded Lotus, T3 Land, Tooth and Nail with Entwine. Pretty sure my hand was exactly 3 lands, the 3 mana rocks, and Tooth.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-29 3:45 pm 

I've been trying to remember the exact play of my Edric deck, when I managed to cast Emrakul after grabbing it with Living Wish on my turn four, with counter spell backup...but it has been too long. I hated that deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 1:01 pm 

I can't remember the specifics of this game as this was way back in September but I will do my best...

So this was when i was a new freshman at my college's MTG club, unaware that, while very friendly, most of the club members were not exactly spikes but had no issue with running combo or control decks. So we sat down to play in what I think was either my first or second game with them, and I was lucky enough to go first. I was playing Sharuum, and the guy to my right named Sho (who I since have become good friends with) was playing an Azami deck he has since gotten bored of and taken apart. So I open my hand, and find I have (if I am right) a Sol Ring, an Azorius Signet and a Tezzeret the Seeker. This is the best hand I have ever gotten, and after the rest of the table goes around, everyone just playing lands, I get to cast Tezzeret.

...And then, Sho bounces his only land to his hand to cast Daze. The salt coming from my eyes could make the Dead Sea envious.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 5:18 pm 

Mimeoplasm:

Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Lotus Petal, Lions Eye Diamond, Buried Alive, Fetchland, Insist.

Vault into Crypt, into petal, sac petal, buried alive for:
Deaths Shadow
Gaea's Revenge
Wonder/Brawn

Crack Fetchland for G/U dual type land, cast insist, draw arbitrary card, play LED, crack Led, cast Mimeoplasm for a 21/18, Haste, flying/trample monstrosity.

Deck is stupid when it happens... planning on rebuilding it to make it more fun for everyone.

Bonus:
Not exactly a god hand, but turn 1 crop rotation into Urborg ToY, then using entomb to get Riftstone Portal has always made me happy with Karador.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-06 10:52 am 

Almost all of these plays involve Mana Crypt because, well, Mana Crypt.

On my Thalia deck, turn one Plains, Crypt, Aether Vial, Thalia.
On my friend Robert's Tasigur deck: Fetch, Trop, Mana Crypt, Windfall, turn two Tasigur then Frozen Aether and it just got bad after that. I did LOSE that game because the Zedruu player kept killing Tasigur, poor Tasigur. :(

On my Krenko deck, turn one Lackey into Siege-Gang, turn two Mountain, Crypt, Krenko and it got ugly after that.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-07 12:39 pm 

This deck is not meant for 1v1.... but... Played my Mayael the Anima deck vs a friend with I think Jazal Goldmane, unfortunately his deck didn't matter.

Turn 1 - drop Rugged Prairie, Sol Ring into Mana Vault
Turn 2 - Plains, Yosei
Turn 3 - Sunhome, ruin his hopes and dreams.

By the time he took care of Yosei, it just didn't matter anymore.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-07 7:08 pm 

Not sure of the exact plays leading up to it. This was the combo/lock version of my Glissa deck, picture here.

Turn 3: Thran Dynamo, probably had some other artifact mana, though don't remember a Crypt, Ring or Vault, tap to drop Winter Orb
Turn 4: Death Cloud for 4, most players concede, may have used a Ritual to power it
Turn 5: Smokestack, the others try to convince the remaining player to concede but fail
Turn 7: Hermit Druid, explain my combo plans, remaining player concedes

(After this demonstration I made the deck more friendly, just wanted to show the group how brutal things can get and the deck definitely delivered).

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-09 3:28 am 

Flagstones of Trokair, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Smallpox, Life From the Loam, 3 other unimportant cards. On the play.

To boot, that casting of Smallpox picked up an Isamaru (general), a Fyndhorn Elves, and left someone with no lands to bounce to their hand with 2 RAV Karoos.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-09 7:55 am 

Not quite godhand, per se, for this deck, but any hand with a T1 Hardened Scales is always fun wtih Marath. Had a game this weekend go: T1 Hardened Scales, T2 Signet, T3 Marath with Path to Exile in hand and a White open. T4 Tempt With Discovery, getting Cradle and something to fix my White so I could play a Glare of Subdual and still leave Path up just in case. Cradle + Scales + Marath + Glare basically ended the game right there. Glare got hit with a Krosan Grip immediately, but I already had the E. Witness in hand. By T6 or T7 everyone scooped to my board of like 10 tokens, Marath and Glare.

Offline Profile