Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-17 10:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What could I say for you to give Commander on MTGO a chance?
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 3:11 am 

Masked Thespian wrote:
Overall, it's a pretty fun experience. About the only thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that Commander damage dealt is listed.

Commander damage is listed in the game log every time said damage is dealt (after the action showing damage for the combat phase it will say "Masked Thespian has been deal 20 commander damage by Norin the Wary" (or appropriate user and legend)

if you always minimize the log because you chat on Skype, that may be why you don't notice it.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:13 am 

So a few replies to people's concerns.

If (and I say if...) I could organize a regular time and day for 4 to 8 people to sit down and play online with skype, would people be interested? I'm considering incentives and participation prizes to possibly help people along with their collections similar to Treamayne's offer.

To those concerned about the financial stress, you could easily build one 2 colour list for <=50 tickets I think as a start. In fact, I could start a sub 50 tix league initially, so everyone starts on the same page. The point wouldn't be to build and buy the most powerful list you could, but instead for us to get together as a community and play this awesome format. It's a chance to put voices (and possibly faces!) to names and build some more camaraderie around here. Think of the investment not as a loss to your physical collection, but a different extension to it. The league could continue for as long as interest was there or evolve as needed as well.

As Treamayne said, you can cash out your collection to some traders worse case if it doesn't work out for you.

My long term plan might be to stream the games live and/or record them on youtube to share here with everyone else.

Interface issues aside (which are bearable and workable, believe me!), I'd be super keen to organize but I need interest first and some commitment second.

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:31 am 

Might give it another go. It wasn't really any one thing put me off last time, more a combination of minor factors that ended up me getting low satisfaction. Mostly it was wasting time on failed games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:33 am 

OldVig wrote:
Might give it another go. It wasn't really any one thing put me off last time, more a combination of minor factors that ended up me getting low satisfaction. Mostly it was wasting time on failed games.

Ya, that's a community issue, which a dedicated league would solve.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:43 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
OldVig wrote:

I don't really want to make an exhaustive list of the factors, but community problems were no more than 50% of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:44 am 

OldVig wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
OldVig wrote:

I don't really want to make an exhaustive list of the factors, but community problems were no more than 50% of it.

Sad panda face then.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 7:51 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Sad panda face then.

LOL. I think with the bloodbath of formats still fresh in mind I will enjoy some relaxing edh.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 8:31 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
If (and I say if...) I could organize a regular time and day for 4 to 8 people to sit down and play online with skype, would people be interested? I'm considering incentives and participation prizes to possibly help people along with their collections similar to Treamayne's offer.
Are you saying play MTGO along with Skype or paper cards over Skype?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 8:45 am 

MRHblue wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Are you saying play MTGO along with Skype or paper cards over Skype?

MTGO + Skype.

I think playing without MTGO over Skype has proven succesful (game thread), but I prefer and I am more comfortable with games when I can see the people's board states etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 5:17 pm 

I don't like that I don't have my pet cards on MTGO. And finding a game woth properly matched deecks is a bit hard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-14 12:11 am 

I couldnt stand v4 after the "upgrade". Got frustrated with it and did like Pierre and cashed out completely. Haven't looked back since and can't make that financial investment again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-15 8:12 am 

Treamayne wrote:
I have plenty of stuff to give away for those that have an MTGO account and just want a few hundred cards or more to fill out a basic collection to start building from. If nothing else, PM me a decklist you might want online and I'll see how much I could fill out of my extras*.

That's very generous, and I may take you up on it, I'll have a look at which commanders I have already and what kind of deck I might build.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-17 3:58 am 

The kinds of decks that I like to play don't translate well online. I'm in love with triggers and activated abilities, I love decks that slowly accumulate mini combos until they're not so mini anymore.

This kind of deck is absolutely terrible to play online, and terrible to play against online. Click, click, wait, wait, click, click, wait, wait. Every click includes a little pause while you let the client decide if it agrees with that click. Then you misclick and there are basically no takebacks.

I'm not good at building decks with splashy Battlecruiser plays and a lot of F6 action. For those who don't know, F6 was/is 'pass priority for the rest of this turn' and is arguably the most important button on MTGO for multiplayer.

That leads me to my second point - there's this whole separate learning curve for MTGO, especially multiplayer MTGO, where it's not just a question of learning the client / playing online, it's a question of optimizing your decks and sequencing to allow you to F6 a lot, and hoping that the people you're playing with are doing the same.

The 'community' thing helps with the second point. Find some good people who know how the software works well enough that they have built decks that fit within the online model, and that play these decks in a way that helps everyone get through the game with that 'fun' feeling. I didn't spend enough time with the game to get to that point, unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-17 4:03 am 

I have a Daxos (uw) deck I built for literally 2 tix. I have won games with it. MTGO commander can be dirt cheap if you avoid the few expensive cards because cards that don't see constructed play cost basically nothing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-17 5:00 am 

I can only afford either paper or modo, not both.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next