Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-18 12:11 pm

Post subject: All I wanted was a quarter...[mma2015 box opening]
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 2:32 am 

Well, I decided to splurge and reward my good college grades with a box of MMA2015 ($195 on ebay.)
I need a few things from it anyway; so I hope I open a Gruul Turf, or bust.

---------------------------

Box opening commentary - I was originally going to record it, and post it to my youtube channel - but I forgot to go to my parents house and borrow their camera and tripod. And I don't have a stand for my phone. And just sheer laziness is preventing that from happening as well....

To the box itself - seems terribly flimsy.... But I don't buy boxes for the cardboard on the outside. The plastic wrap appears to be legitimate, and intact - a quick swipe with my Buck 279 folding knife that I sharpened last week easily frees the plastic from its grasp on the box and I rip it off with a small amount of glee. I emphasize "small amount" because I'm fully prepared to be disappointed by the contents of this box.

With the box now fully open and its display in position, I tossed out the advert and cardboard insert, and prepare my wallet to have yet another reason to consider me mentally challenged; oh well - this is for the fun of gambling, and because I need a single copy of Gruul Turf. Its a shame that they didn't put any other non-basics into this set, like the L/S filters or something. WotC knew how to scam us this time for sure....anyway, on to the first pack - and may my luck return to me for this box. Because that one box of Journey I got, and of Gatecrash made me swear of boxes forever. Apparently, I can't even hold my self to my own word on gambling....*sigh.*

First pack, it is in my hands (or was, since I have to type this,) it's got a noble hierach on the front. Interesting to note, the three visible packs in the box all have the same art showing - and I don't know which card it is.

-foil Sylvan Bounty, Endrek, Smokebraider, Orzhov Basilica, and Azorius Chancery. I've already shot myself in the foot with my Glock and I'm thinking to myself, the rest of this box is terrible....isn't it?

Full box results, because I'm to lazy to narrate my feelings on this box crakin':

Now, I know I said I wasn't going to narrate anymore...but uh, pack two was rather delicious: Faerie Machinist, Thoughtcast, Muldrifter, Bitterblossom, foil Ulamog's Crusher. So, that's three cards I actually need. Not bad, and one good one is at least something I can sell/trade for other stuff I need.

Now, on to the results and no more commentary - for real this time:

Pack 3: Creakwood Liege, Pelakka Wurm, foil Plagued Rusalka

Pack 4: Ulamog's Crusher, Splinter Twin, foil Smokebraider, Insect token (surprisingly, I needed the token.)

Pack 5: Precursor Golem, foil Plaxcaster Frogling (eewww pack.)

Pack 6: Mirran Crusader, foil Vampire Lacerator (ewww pack.)

Pack 7: Selesyna Sanctuary, Scube Mob, foil Pelakka Wurm (very thin top border miscut)

Pack 8: Everflowing Chalice, Ant Queen, foil Water Servant (trash pack)

Pack 9: Endrek, foil Darksteel Axe ( why the put Endrek in this set, I have no idea. I wish I never bought this box; I should have just bought singles like a smart person.)

Pack 10: Golgari Rot Farm, Rampant Growth, Precursor Golem, foil Wolfbrair Elemental (my rare foil of the box, and its trash.)

Pack 11 (I'm sobbing now) : Izzet Boilerworks, Ant Queen, foil Skyhunter Skirmisher

Pack 12: Dimir Aqueduct, Expedition Map, Mirran Crusader, foil Commune with Nature (my tears are pooling on the floor, its about ankle deep now.)

Pack 13: Remand, Spellskite, foil Rusted Relic.

Pack 14: Ulamog's Crusher, Reassembling Skeleton, Splinter Twin, foil Kami of the Ancient Law.

Pack 15: Izzet Boilerworks, Lightning Bolt, Hurkyl's Recall, foil Thrumming Bird.

Pack 16: Necrogenesis, Everflowing Chalice, Profane Command, foil Stormblood Berserker

Pack 17: Dimir Aqueduct, Muldrifter, Shadowmage Infiltrator, foil Inner-Flame Igniter

Pack 18: Hikari, Goyf, foil Dread Drone. I should probably stop opening packs, and sell the rest now. My luck is gone for the next two years.

Pack 19: Spikeshot Elder, foil Skyreach Manta (worst pack, ever.)

Pack 20: Rampant Growth, Ulamog's Crusher, Golgari Rot Farm, Spectral Procession, Mystic Snake, foil Darksteel Citadel

Pack 21: Rampant Growth, Spitebellows, Creakwood Liege, foil Vapor Snag.

Pack 22: Rampant Growth, Electrolyze, Shadowmage Infiltrator, foil Bone Splinters

Pack 23: Artistan of Kozilek, Hurkyl's Recall, foil Azorius Chancery

Pack 24: Rakdos Carnaium, Surrakur Spellblade, foil Guile.

Well, **** this box, and everything WotC stands for. not a single goddamn Gruul Turf? HOW?

Box value : ?

Foil Guile: 2.00
Foil Azorius Chancery: 3.50
Foil Vapor Snag: 3.00
Foil Darksteel Citadel: 4.75
Foil Ulamog's Crusher: 1.75
Lightining Bolt - 2.00
Electrolyze - 2.00
Remand - 8.00
2 Mirran Crusader - 2 ea. (4.00)
Spellskite - 18.00
2 Splinter Twin - 16 ea. (32.00)
2 Hurkyl's Recall - 4 ea. (8.00)
2 Creakwood Liege - 3 ea. (6.00)
Mystic Snake - 2.00
Scute Mob - 1.00
Tarmagoyf - 160.00
Bitterblossom - 32.00
-----
Total of notables: ~290

So, what is the lesson: If you don't open a Goyf, or a foil good mythic or rare, prepare your anus for a hard-learned lesson in finance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: All I wanted was a quarter...[mma2015 box opening]
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 3:45 am 

I bought two boxes, and man did I regret it. That said, I did open a Goyf, and a couple of decent things, so I am having a friend eBay some things. If everything sells, I'll have made most of my money back, and I will at least have a Bitterblossom and a Karn to show for it, so not all bad...

Also, Joz, I am 90% sure I opened a foil Gruul Turf, if you're intereted. I'll have to double check when I get off work, but I know for certain I pulled two foil bouncelands and I do think one of 'em was Gruul.

(P.S. I'm highly interested in your Bitterblossom, if you don't want it.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 4:03 am 

I entered the sealed tournament here ($40) and opened a Mox Opal, so at least I made my money back. But yeah, basically, kind of underwhelming.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 4:28 am 

opened two packs, pulled emrakul and horde of notions. so meh i am above curve still lol

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 4:49 am 

I love opening me a box, or just cracking some packs, but I refuse to buy Modern Masters. The price per pack is just too high.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 4:53 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
I bought two boxes, and man did I regret it. That said, I did open a Goyf, and a couple of decent things, so I am having a friend eBay some things. If everything sells, I'll have made most of my money back, and I will at least have a Bitterblossom and a Karn to show for it, so not all bad...

Also, Joz, I am 90% sure I opened a foil Gruul Turf, if you're intereted. I'll have to double check when I get off work, but I know for certain I pulled two foil bouncelands and I do think one of 'em was Gruul.

(P.S. I'm highly interested in your Bitterblossom, if you don't want it.)

The Bitterblossom might be available, I'm waiting to finalize a few deals on another site before I can confirm a trade anywhere else; as for the Foil Gruul Turf.

Ew. Foil. :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 6:04 am 

Out of curiosity, why were you so eager to get a Gruul Turf Joz?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 6:17 am 

I did a draft the other day. Best card I got was a foil Darksteel Citadel. Most expensive, Remand.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 6:29 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Out of curiosity, why were you so eager to get a Gruul Turf Joz?

Need it for my Xira edh.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 6:43 am 

I payed 40 to draft it, and it was so not worth it. The limited environment was painfully slow, and I opened nothing but junk. I ended up winning a pack, but it had junk as well. And just to rub it in, the guy who won the draft, who had opened a Tezzeret, opened a Fulminator Mage in one of his prize packs.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 7:29 am 

Joz wrote:
LOL, fair enough. I'm pretty sure I have some extra non-foils laying around somewhere. PM me your addy and I'll send you one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 7:30 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Joz wrote:
LOL, fair enough. I'm pretty sure I have some extra non-foils laying around somewhere. PM me your addy and I'll send you one.

Thanks for the offer - but I'm just going to grab one when I go play EDH tonight. Unless of course, they don't have any...in which case, I will take you up on your offer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 7:36 am 

You own a Glock?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 7:43 am 

Joz wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Joz wrote:

Thanks for the offer - but I'm just going to grab one when I go play EDH tonight. Unless of course, they don't have any...in which case, I will take you up on your offer.

Aight

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-09 9:26 am 

You got a Goyf, lucky you Joz!

My box had a foil... Comet Storm! :cry:
Despite also opening Vendilion Clique and Cryptic Command, that box was a poor investment on my part. Not unexpected, still I badly wanted that Noble Hierarch that never came. Now I'm pondering whether to buy it as a single, but I couldn't find the resolve yet to face my credit card again after this little debacle.

[rant]
I think WotC somehow dropped the ball at rare/uncommon value. There are simply too many bulk rares. What about Comet Storm? why it took a mythic slot is beyond me...
One could argue it's always a bad financial decision to buy packs to open, however a bit of consistency doesn't hurt at this level of investment.
Therefore, considering the contents, my opinion is that packs shouldn't have been so expensive to begin with. What's sad is that they probably sold like hot cakes, so there's little chance WotC will change their model next time around.
[/rant]

Offline Profile