Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:15 pm

Post subject: Slivers or Elementals?
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 5:17 am 

Hi all. I have two very successful 60 card decks that are all creatures and land. They are Slivers and Elementals. If you had to play against one or the other in EDH where the deck is creatures-only, which would you prefer to play against because it would be more enjoyable. I'm considering converting one of them to EDH.

Please don't include whether you think one is more fragile than the other as an enemy, because that's not what I'm driving at here. Thanks!

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Slivers or Elementals?
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 5:25 am 

Elementals.

Slivers are almost never fun to play against. They either snowball and kill you, or you stop the snowball and they just do nothing.

Elementals have lots of interesting, interactive spell effects on EtB or death. They don't have such strong tribal synergy that they snowball out of control, and they also have the ability to make up a deficit by drawing a bunch of cards with Mulldrifter and Reveillark and other effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 5:49 am 

Slivers are miserable. Maybe some two or three color variants could be entertaining but five color is just dumb due to the insanely broken legends.

Elementals are underwhelming but far more interesting to play against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 8:26 am 

Elementals if you like doing cool stuff and like the people you play.

Slivers if you like to win boringly.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 1:59 pm 

Hahaha, the Sliver hate is already strong in this thread.

That being said, they're right. After having played many, many iterations of Slivers in a number of different color combinations--and also Elementals--Elementals are more fun to play and play against in general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 7:12 pm 

Played slivers, they are fun to play once, then after they are the same thing all the time and also really miserable for opponents to play against. Elementals are far more varied and far less broken IMO, and there are more options for generals so you don't have to play 5 colour too.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-01 8:48 pm 

Slivers draw a lot of irrational hate, in my experience. They're very strong if left unchecked. However, they take a lot of investment to set up and are fairly easily disrupted. They also tend to be far more linear than Elementals. I'd concur that Elementals make for a more interesting deck. I play against a pretty good Horde of Notions deck from time to time, and it's always a good game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-02 10:21 am 

Going all creature means you will be including a lot of sub-par slivers. Elementals maybe have more playables.
Asking what people prefer to play against is odd, you'll get a lot of conflicting answers. I feel my sliver deck offers less to the kind of opponent that wants to be leaning on bribery effects. So if those guys get more value from somewhere else I'm happy. What does happen a lot is I'm the only player without a Sliver Hivelord due to steal and copy effects. I added a bunch of clone effects in my deck so I can always have a Hivelord too :P
Personally I always have found slivers easy to disrupt unless they get the nut draw, so I don't fear them like some folk seem to do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-03 12:08 am 

Slivers are going to draw hate, and if you are going all-creature, you're going to have trouble keeping the critical mass of slivers you need out. More opponents means more Wrath of God type effects.

Paradoxically, all-creature Elementals is probably stronger, but draws less aggro when you reveal your commander.

Offline Profile