Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 3:18 pm

Post subject: Planeswalkers -- A who's who
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-26 7:08 pm 

Thinking of all the different planeswalkers that are out there, I figured I would practice typing and rambling about the differences and the various home worlds (if known). Feel free to ignore this or if you find it also interesting please add to it. For simplicity's sake I figured I would do it in alphabetical order. As there are many with unknown origins it is difficult have some consistency with the planeswalkers.

Also some have had as many as 5 cards where many have only had one. It is unlikely that we will get another Tibalt, and many feel that we have had enough of Jace etc. so it is nice that we have as diverse a group as we do considering they have only been printing them for less than 5 years.

one of the Lorwyn 5, i.e. one of the original five planeswalkers. He hails from Alara (more specifically Naya shard). He shows up in 3 colors (Wrg) as:
Ajani Goldmane
Ajani Steadfast
Ajani Vengeant
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

Not much is known about Ashiok, not even the gender.
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Another of the Lorwyn 5. Her home plane is unknown, but it was the deaths of her family that sparked her. She has only shown up as a R planeswalker even though she has four different cards.

Chandra Ablaze
Chandra Nalaar
Chandra, Pyromaster
Chandra, the Firebrand

Born on Drakeston, Fiora he is described as a reckless thief, I guess being able to leave if the pressure gets too hot is a useful attribute for a thief.
Dack Fayden

Also from Fiora, Daretti lost the use of his legs when he escaped death and became ascended to Planeswalker status.
Daretti, Scrap Savant

Hailing from The Rubblebelt, Ravnica. He was an orphan and clanless until he commanded a herd of Ragebeasts to drive out the Orzhov and became an honorary member of the Burning Tree clan.
Domri Rade

We do not know exactly where she comes from only that there were Phyrexians dominating the plane and Elspeth was tortured by them. She ascended when she was only 13.
Elspeth Tirel
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Hailing from Terisiare, Dominaria, this Half-Elf is revered as a goddess by the elves of Fyndhorn and Llanowar due to saving them from the Ice Age.
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury

The 3rd member of the Lorwyn 5. It is unknown where Garruk came from.
Garruk Relentless
Garruk Wildspeaker
Garruk, Apex Predator
Garruk, Caller of Beasts
Garruk, Primal Hunter

Not much is known except that he was a member of Order of Heliud. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Order_of_Heliud
Gideon Jura
Gideon, Champion of Justice

The 4th member of the Lorwyn 5, not much is known of his origins either except that he is from somewhere called Silmot's Crossing.
Jace Beleren
Jace, Architect of Thought
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, the Living Guildpact
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Built by Urza, Karn's story is very long and detailed.
Karn Liberated

Born on Zendikar, she is one of few (if any) Merfolk planeswalkers.
Kiora, the Crashing Wave

Born in Oxidda Range, Mirrodin, he ascended when the Phyrexians tried to take over.
Koth of the Hammer

Last of the Lorwyn 5. It is unknown where she came from but she got a lot of power from Demons. She was a temptress long before she became a planeswalker.
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Liliana of the Veil
Liliana Vess

Born on Zendikar, not much was known about her except her title "The Lithomancer" and her part in trapping the Eldrazi until recently.
Nahiri, the Lithomancer

Elder dragon, general bad guy... do not piss this guy off.
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Also from Zendikar, this Elven planeswalker is all about protecting the elves.
Nissa Revane
Nissa, Worldwaker

Again no known plane. He is known for hating Zendikar and making deals with devils and demons.
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath

Born on Ravnica, a member of the Izzet League.
Ral Zarek

Born on Tarkir, Sarkhan is especially getting the spotlight at this time.
Sarkhan the Mad
Sarkhan Vol
Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Born in Stensia, Innistrad. Evidently, he is the oldest planeswalker, except Nicol Bolas.
Sorin Markov
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Sorin, Solemn Visitor

From Oboro, Kamigawa she is the only Soratami (Moonfolk) planeswalker that we know of.
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Born Zhalfir, Jamuraa, Dominaria Teferi has a long documented history interwined with Urza.
Teferi, Temporal Archmage

Born Tidehollow, Esper, Alara.
Tezzeret the Seeker
Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Half devil born in Nephalia, Innistrad.
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

Until recently not much has been known. He is from Tarkir and was killed by Bolas, but Sarkhan went back into the past to save him.
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Born in Urborg, Dominaria he played a part in the Mending.
Venser, the Sojourner

Born in Old Rav, Undercity, Ravnica. One of the few Gorgon planeswalkers (the only one we know of)
Vraska the Unseen

Born in Setessa ,Theros he ascended to planeswalker status then decided he wanted to join or replace the gods of Theros themselves. And he succeeded. Unfortunately for him, only days later Elspeth and Ajani came to Nyx and most likely killed him.
Xenagos, the Reveler

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Planeswalkers -- A who's who
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-26 11:55 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
so it is nice that we have as diverse a group as we do considering they have only been printing them for less than 5 years.
It's been over 7 years, actually. The first planeswalkers were printed in October 2007.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-27 8:00 pm 

Crazy that Lorwyn was really that long ago... serves me right for looking up oodles of info, and then typing... Where is that editor I asked for?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-27 10:19 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
(It's) Ccrazy that Lorwyn was really that long ago. ... (It) serves me right for looking up oodles of info (on the Planewalkers themselves), and then typing (without check other facts).

... Where is that editor I asked for?

Edited

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-27 11:55 pm 

Here's a backup in case Treamayne is busy:

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-28 12:45 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Since we're picking nits, I'll get controversial*.

Ashiok would like everyone to know their preferred singular genderless pronoun.

* - many style guides disagree on using the singular 'they' in this fashion, but it's perfectly cromulent as far as I'm concerned

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-28 3:38 am 

tarnar wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

* - many style guides disagree on using the singular 'they' in this fashion, but it's perfectly cromulent as far as I'm concerned

Ashiok is referenced as male a couple of times in the insert booklet for the Theros Fat Packs, but its hardly the most solid evidence and it's all we've got.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-28 4:06 am 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
tarnar wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Ashiok is referenced as male a couple of times in the insert booklet for the Theros Fat Packs, but its hardly the most solid evidence and it's all we've got.

Wizards have said that they did so because it was very difficult to write an entire page without using a single pronoun and that that particular page should not be taken as any kind of evidence. As far as Wizards are concerned, Ashiok has no defined gender.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-28 5:09 am 

Willbender wrote:
Here's a backup in case Treamayne is busy:

Anyone else think he looks like Dante from Clerks?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-28 3:31 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
(It's) Ccrazy that Lorwyn was really that long ago. ... (It) serves me right for looking up oodles of info (on the Planewalkers themselves), and then typing (without check other facts).

... Where is that editor I asked for?

Edited

Lol, thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 10:41 pm 

one of the Lorwyn 5, i.e. one of the original five planeswalkers. He hails from Alara (more specifically Naya shard). He shows up in 3 colors (Wrg) as:
Ajani Goldmane
Ajani Steadfast
Ajani Vengeant
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Got his spark when his brother was killed.

Hailing from The Rubblebelt, Ravnica. He was an orphan and clanless until he commanded a herd of Ragebeasts to drive out the Orzhov and became an honorary member of the Burning Tree clan.
Domri Rade
Got his spark during a Gruul clan rite of passage where he was buried alive, freaked out that he wouldn't be exhumed, developed his spark, 'walked to what was likely Naya before 'walking back to the Rubblebelt.

Hailing from Terisiare, Dominaria, this Half-Elf is revered as a goddess by the elves of Fyndhorn and Llanowar due to saving them from the Ice Age.
Died Saving Dominaria (or Rath, can't remember) from the Phyrexians, not the ice age.

Last of the Lorwyn 5. It is unknown where she came from but she got a lot of power from Demons. She was a temptress long before she became a planeswalker.
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Liliana of the Veil
Liliana Vess
Wasn't she a healer, lost her brother Josu, freaked out when he died she was tricked into healing him but at the cost of driving him insane? Born pre-mending, is centuries old, killed her shadowy follower (the Raven Man) who seems to enjoy putting her in picklous situations (turns out he was already dead, she necromanced him, he healed her and she "stabbed" him before walking so we're not even sure if she left him "alive"), made pacts with 4 demons which she's trying to destroy to get around the cost of her pacts (2 down, 2 to go!), got jiggy with Jace, worked for Bolas but was freed of her bond to him by Tezzeret, is haunted by the Onakke through the Veil.

Again no known plane. He is known for hating Zendikar and making deals with devils and demons.
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
There's an origins story on Uncharted Realms somewhere. Found it, doesn't say anything about a specific plane other than he summoned demons to destroy all life on it bar him, he freaked out, developed his spark and walked to a new plane. Our only other tidbit is that he was blocked and bound on Zendikar by Nahiri.

Born in Urborg, Dominaria he played a part in the Mending.
Venser, the Sojourner
Died/gave up spark to contain the Phyrexians on Mirrodin for a time.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Last edited by zimagic on 2015-Feb-19 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-19 12:58 am 

zimagic wrote:
Died Saving Dominaria (or Rath, can't remember) from the Phyrexians, not the ice age.

Inkeyes didn't say she died saving the elves during the Ice Age, just that she saved them. She is the one that cast the World Spell to end the Ice Age.

She died saving Dominaria (only in part, as many events took place to 'save' Dominaria) when she sacrificed herself and Skyshroud to seal one of the rifts during the events of the Time Spiral.

Last edited by Sovarius on 2015-Feb-19 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-19 1:13 am 

Sovarius wrote:
zimagic wrote:

Inkeyes didn't say she died saving the elves during the Ice Age, just that she saved them. She is the one that cast the World Spell to end the Ice Age.

She died saving Dominaria (only in part, as many events took place to 'save' Dominaria) when she sacrificed herself and Skyshroud to seal one of the rifts during the events of the Time Spiral.

Yep, I misread that. Added a bit to Liliana that I hadn't know before I went looking.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile