All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:07 am

Post subject: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Horror
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 3:31 am 

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition
Round Four

BLUF:
Judge Volunteer PMs:........................... 20 Oct
Submission PM deadline:.......................21 Oct 23:59 EDT (22 Oct 04:00 GMT)
Decks Posted for judging and disputes:......22 Oct
Final Score tally and Reveal:..................31 Oct

Welcome Contestants, Judges, and Visitors to what should be one the of the most awesome Commander/EDH experiences ever (only to actually playing the game?). Inspired by the TV show Iron Chef and a spin on it from Dungeons and Dragons the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition is designed to elicit fun, freedom from boredom, expansion of EDH powers, and online friends (don’t call me if stuck on the side of the road).

Judging will comprise of an evaluation of each deck based on four factors, Originality, Power, Elegance, and Usage of the Theme. The maximum score for a factor is 5 and the minimum factor 0, a 0 would be the equivalent to a Refusal to Judge (someone submitted buffalo wings to a risotto contest).

Originality – This category revolves around the usage of cards on decklists/guides online, expected by the judges, used by other contestants, new and interesting combinations of cards, thematics not normally used, etc. This is highly up to the Judge’s ‘opinion’, just like that of players at a local game store or kitchen table.

Power – This category revolves around the ability to win the game, through attrition, sheer beats, combo, alternative win cons, etc. The ability to stop aggro, control, combo, attrition, etc. style decks. The ability to curve out when needed, and to cast its spells. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Elegance – This category revolves around the prices of cards used, rules manipulations (i.e. stack shenanigans) that confuse or hinder new players, using cards that represent an oppressive or unfavorable game-state, etc. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Use of the Secret Ingredient/Theme – This category revolves around building a deck around the theme, using a General for more than its color identity, running with the theme from a storyline segment, as well as running with the theme from a mechanics segment. Guess what, this is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

The Challenge revolves around a minimum of three and probably maximum of 15 contestants and 3 to 5 judges, in a simulation that the contestants build a deck revolving around a secret ingredient and the contestants are designing the deck to be the most original, powerful, elegant, and thematic as possible. In short to build a deck that (almost) everyone would say… nice deck!

Entries will comprise of summary of what the deck does, how it synergizes with concepts and themes, the combos, the power, the play style, etc. Please keep it to 1,500 words or less, while there is no minimum please note that if you don’t tell the Judges what your deck does they may not be able to magically figure it out (pun intended). Followed by a decklist comprised of 99-EDH legal cards separated by card super-type (don’t worry about legendary). Each section Summary and Decklist will be covered in Spoiler tags clearly identified with Summary and Decklist. Entries will be submitted via PM to the Chairman (poster of this post) who will reveal them at the end of the submission timeline to the Judges.

The Chairman will receive entrants (via PM) and post their entries (removing their name) upon the scheduled time, and the Judges will give their scorings once they have completed all of the scores. Everyone is encouraged to refrain from speculations, clues, guiding during the cooking period (before the reveal). After the reveal, feel free to post as much as you want.

Judges will have until the completion time to post their scores, if an entrant disagrees with a Judge’s ruling they have the right to dispute (PM the chairman identifying their deck) and respond to the scorings. Please note that opinion is highly a matter of an opinion and a mechanic is a fact of the game, while it’s okay to correct a judge (nicely) about a mechanical discrepancy it isn’t okay to call them a retard because you disagree with them. Since this is anonymous, people shouldn’t take it personally and it should be reflective of the game style differences.

After completion time, the Chairman will reveal the final scores and the builders. Winners will receive an oversized card Image in Gold, Silver or Bronze etch-style (can be printed to make a sticker for a proxy oversize general) and a 100 Pixel banner, suitable for including in your signature on this site.

Chefs, your Theme for this Battle is:

Cinema Horror

In honor of tricksy scary horror holiday forthcoming, I would like you to pay an homage to Cinema Horror. Whether you draw inspiration from classic films like Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Lon Cheney's Wolf Man; or B-horror like The Raven and the Blob (Original 1958 of course); or even newer "Slasher" films like Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream your task is to pick a film (or series) and pay homage to that specific inspiration through your deck.

Be sure to mention in your narrative what film you are paying homage to and how your deck represetns the characters, themes and monsters of that film. While the result doesn't have to be clubbed-over-the-head obvious (Mimeoplasm as the Blob - didn't see that coming), Judges should be able to recognize the film's influence in your deck decisions. Choice of General and colors are in your hands, as long as they make sense with you choice of film and the contest Horror guidelines.

So grab some popcorn, watch some screen (for the cause) and dazzle us with your Cinema Horror inspired creations.

Prizes will be a Gold, Silver or Bronze image of your general and a Battle Horror Sig Banner!

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Oct-19 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Horror
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 3:58 am 

Ooh... nice. A little tricky to plan for, but I think it's doable.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 7:40 am 

Sounds fun. Time to start watching horror movies...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 7:45 am 

I think there's going to be a lot of support for this one comparative to the last one. The secret ingredient is definitely a little wide open, but the subject matter is interesting enough to hook in a lot of people. I expect there will be a lot of personal stories about favorite horror movies, first experiences watching horror movies, and more.

I'm really into horror movies, so I'm excited to see what people come up with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 12:57 pm 

IRL I have a Horror tribal deck, it's awesome.

Can we define horror? Like is Spice World horror, or the Justin Beiber movie? What about books, or an Edgar Allen Poe poem?

This also seems right up Sheldon's alley, he loves movies and magic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-22 1:43 pm 

MrCool wrote:
Sounds fun. Time to start watching horror movies...

Which was one of the reasons driving the decision to announce early. Let people have time to rent/stream and watch multiple selections to find some inspiration (assuming they didn't already have a favorite in mind)

Tim Proctor wrote:
Can we define horror?

I would say it is safe to say that if multiple Horror Genre sites all categorize the movie as horror, then it counts. Example, Kiss the Girls and Bone Collector might be about serial killers, but they are more commonly categorized as Thriller or Suspense, not Horror. Probably easiest to start at IMDB and/or Wikipedia to make sure your selection is classified as horror.

Tim Proctor wrote:
Like is Spice World horror, or the Justin Beiber movie?

Not everything that is scary is horror.

Tim Proctor wrote:
What about books, or an Edgar Allen Poe poem?

If there was a film version you find adequate for your needs... maybe poems, books or other inspirational sources will find their way into a future contest.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-23 5:59 am 

Treamayne wrote:

Also, not everything that is horror is scary. Going through the list of top rated horror movies I see a lot that are comedy horror. Were you going for primarily scary movies or are non-scary horror movies alright as well?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-23 6:50 am 

MrCool wrote:
Treamayne wrote:

Also, not everything that is horror is scary. Going through the list of top rated horror movies I see a lot that are comedy horror. Were you going for primarily scary movies or are non-scary horror movies alright as well?

I am not one of the judges (and only one volunteer so far). The requirements I set is to pay homage to a Horror film through your EDH Brew. If you can make comedy Horror work... go for it.

If you go there, make sure you cast Dr. Frank-n-further correctly.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-01 7:03 am 

Wow, there's still a long time until this thread becomes relevant again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-01 6:12 pm 

True, we can only hope the extra time helps the entrants.

Also, still have two judges spots remaining.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-02 1:00 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
True, we can only hope the extra time helps the entrants.

Also, still have two judges spots remaining.

I asked Sheldon (think he's busy with school) and asked him to try and get BDM to do it too. I'll ask again cause I didn't hear back, which is odd for Sheldon (who normally is super good about responding).

I want to compete, but I can throw my hat in the judge ring if needed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 12:17 am 

So...did this just completely die, or what?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 6:20 am 

I think so. We only have 1 volunteer for judging. The only entry so far is:

Willard (1971)

Willard is a meek social misfit who later develops a strange affinity for rats. He lives in a large Victorian home, with only his cranky and decrepit mother for company. On his 27th birthday, he is humiliated to come home to a birthday party thrown by his mother, where all of the attendees are her own aging friends. After having left the party in embarrassment, he notices a rat in his backyard and tosses it pieces of his birthday cake. Later, his mother gets upset with him for leaving the party and she scolds him later while also discussing how badly the house is falling apart. The next morning he goes out and feeds another rat (this one has babies with it) while imitating their squeaks. His mother starts telling him that he needs to kill the rats that have been running around their yard, to which Willard refuses.

When Willard goes to work he is promptly scolded by his boss Al Martin. Later he returns home and sets about killing the rats as his mother ordered. He puts food on a center rock in a large well, placing a wooden plank to act as a bridge for the rats. When the rats have gathered on the rock, he removes the plank, trapping the rats. He then turns on the water, letting the well fill up thereby drowning the animals. Willard soon feels guilty and returns the plank before turning off the water. When his mother asks if he killed the rats he lies and tells her he did.

That afternoon he begins playing with a rat he names Queenie, and begins teaching the rats words like "food" and "empty". He sees a white rat and immediately takes a liking to it. The white rat becomes his best companion and he names it Socrates for his wisdom. Numerous other rats quickly emerge, one of which is a bigger black specimen whom he names Ben.

At work, Mr. Martin continues to antagonize Willard, telling him he will not give him a raise and then urging him to sell his mother's house. Willard sneaks up to a party Mr. Martin is throwing, opens his suitcase which has rats in it, and then urges them to go get the food and ruin the party. The guests begin screaming and Willard laughs behind the bushes where he is hiding.

The next day Willard's mother dies. He discovers that the house is heavily mortgaged. After this Willard is further pressured by the banks to give up the house.

Willard decides to bring Socrates and Ben to the office with him. He sets them on some shelves and tells them to be good. One of his friends at work gives him a cat named Chloe. Chloe constantly claws at the suitcase where Ben and Socrates are residing. Willard hands her off to a complete stranger and drives away.

The rat population is getting too big, and Willard can not afford to feed them much longer. He decides to steal money from his boss, using his now-trained rats. He orders the rats to "tear it up" and puts them in front of the office door.

Later, at home, Willard gets mad at Ben and starts putting him outside the bedroom, but Ben persists in sleeping in his room.

The next day he again takes Ben and Socrates to work. One of the workers spots the rats and Mr. Martin bludgeons Socrates to death, leaving Willard devastated. After Mr. Martin confronts Willard over the theft, Willard instructs the rats, led by Ben, to kill Mr. Martin. Slightly unnerved by Martin's gruesome death, Willard then abandons Ben, goes home and begins sealing up any holes through which the rats could gain entry. He also puts as many rats as he can into cages and drowns them in the small pool outside.

Willard has dinner with Joan, a co-worker he likes, but is startled to look up and see Ben back in the house staring at him from a corner shelf. He gets up and notices hordes of rats running up the stairs from the basement. He orders Joan to leave and locks the door before confronting Ben. Willard stalls and begins mixing rat poison, but Ben reads the box and squeals loudly, alerting the others, some of whom attack Willard. In an act of desperation, Willard tries to hit the rats with a broom, but misses. He runs upstairs but the other rats come after him. Shutting the door, he stands there terrified. The rats begin to gnaw at the door and eventually break in and devour him, and he says to Ben, "I was good to you". The camera zooms into a close-up of Ben and the credits roll

I went with Marrow-Gnawer because giving Rats fear seems to double fit the horror theme, as fear and horror are fairly close.

I also went with rat tribal cause it's fun, no one complains that rats are unfun, and with cards like 'rat'chet bomb and ulce'rat'e I knew it would be fun.

General: Marrow-Gnawer

Creature (41)
1x Adaptive Automaton
1x Cairn Wanderer
1x Crypt Rats
1x Gnat Miser
1x Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1x Locust Miser
1x Nezumi Graverobber
1x Ogre Slumlord
1x Pack Rat
1x Patron of the Nezumi
1x Pestilence Rats
1x Ratcatcher
26x Relentless Rats
1x Swarm of Rats
1x Throat Slitter
1x Typhoid Rats

Instant (2)
1x Nameless Inversion
1x Ulcerate

Land (40)
1x Barren Moor
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Crypt of Agadeem
1x Lake of the Dead
1x Leechridden Swamp
1x Polluted Mire
1x Shizo, Death's Storehouse
30x Swamp
1x Urborg
1x Volrath's Stronghold

Artifact (5)
1x Door of Destinies
1x Geth's Grimoire
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Ratchet Bomb
1x Urza's Incubator

Enchantment (1)
1x Words of Waste

Sorcery (10)
1x Ambition's Cost
1x Ancient Craving
1x Desperate Research
1x Dregs of Sorrow
1x Hoarder's Greed
1x Lab Rats
1x Patriarch's Bidding
1x Plague of Vermin
1x Rats' Feast
1x Read the Bones

My guess is either the extra time backfired and people forgot about it, or I am no good at choosing competition themes since this is the second miss in a row. Should we extend the submissison deadline? Are there any others that are interested in submitting if we do?

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 6:10 pm 

Lets extend until 21 Oct 14 for deck submissions and Judge volunteers. We need 2 more judges and at least 3 more submissions. If we can't meet that criteria by the 21st, we can all discuss if we want this game to continue or not.

If we continue, maybe we should wait for Jan (after the holidays) before making the next round of battle.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 7:22 pm 

I wanted to submit but I lost my job and subsequently found another, and started it, that plus starting Personal Training as well as personal gym time, and being busy literally every weekend for the past and next month, means I just had no time to submit. This Saturday however, I can get a list together as my lady is away for most of day/night at a gig (Ed Sheeran, not my cup of tea), that ties in with a list I wanted to try IRL anyway, so I can morph the list to suit both purposes and keep playing this fun game :-). Sorry its so late though

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile