All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 10:21 am

Post subject: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle RDW
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-31 8:39 pm 

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition
Round Three

BLUF:
Judge Volunteer PMs:...............................7 Sep
Submission PM deadline:.........................14 Sep 23:59 EDT (15 Sep 04:00 GMT)
Decks Posted for judging and disputes:.....15 Sep
Final Score tally and Reveal:....................30 Sep

Welcome Contestants, Judges, and Visitors to what should be one the of the most awesome Commander/EDH experiences ever (only to actually playing the game?). Inspired by the TV show Iron Chef and a spin on it from Dungeons and Dragons the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition is designed to elicit fun, freedom from boredom, expansion of EDH powers, and online friends (don’t call me if stuck on the side of the road).

Judging will comprise of an evaluation of each deck based on four factors, Originality, Power, Elegance, and Usage of the Theme. The maximum score for a factor is 5 and the minimum factor 0, a 0 would be the equivalent to a Refusal to Judge (someone submitted buffalo wings to a risotto contest).

Originality – This category revolves around the usage of cards on decklists/guides online, expected by the judges, used by other contestants, new and interesting combinations of cards, thematics not normally used, etc. This is highly up to the Judge’s ‘opinion’, just like that of players at a local game store or kitchen table.

Power – This category revolves around the ability to win the game, through attrition, sheer beats, combo, alternative win cons, etc. The ability to stop aggro, control, combo, attrition, etc. style decks. The ability to curve out when needed, and to cast its spells. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Elegance – This category revolves around the prices of cards used, rules manipulations (i.e. stack shenanigans) that confuse or hinder new players, using cards that represent an oppressive or unfavorable game-state, etc. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Use of the Secret Ingredient/Theme – This category revolves around building a deck around the theme, using a General for more than its color identity, running with the theme from a storyline segment, as well as running with the theme from a mechanics segment. Guess what, this is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

The Challenge revolves around an unlimited number (we’ll see but 25 seems to be the max) of contestants and 3 to 5 judges, in a simulation that the contestants build a deck revolving around a secret ingredient and the contestants are designing the deck to be the most original, powerful, elegant, and thematic as possible. In short to build a deck that (almost) everyone would say… nice deck!

Entries will comprise of summary of what the deck does, how it synergizes with concepts and themes, the combos, the power, the play style, etc. Please keep it to 1,500 words or less, while there is no minimum please note that if you don’t tell the Judges what your deck does they may not be able to magically figure it out (pun intended). Followed by a decklist comprised of 99-EDH legal cards separated by card super-type (don’t worry about legendary). Each section Summary and Decklist will be covered in Spoiler tags clearly identified with Summary and Decklist. Entries will be submitted via PM to the Chairman (poster of this post) who will reveal them at the end of the submission timeline to the Judges.

The Chairman will receive entrants (via PM) and post their entries (removing their name) upon the scheduled time, and the Judges will give their scorings once they have completed all of the scores. Everyone is encouraged to refrain from speculations, clues, guiding during the cooking period (before the reveal). After the reveal, feel free to post as much as you want.

Judges will have until the completion time to post their scores, if an entrant disagrees with a Judge’s ruling they have the right to dispute (PM the chairman identifying their deck) and respond to the scorings. Please note that opinion is highly a matter of an opinion and a mechanic is a fact of the game, while it’s okay to correct a judge (nicely) about a mechanical discrepancy it isn’t okay to call them a retard because you disagree with them. Since this is anonymous, people shouldn’t take it personally and it should be reflective of the game style differences.

After completion time, the Chairman will reveal the final scores and the builders. Winners will receive an oversized card Image in Gold, Silver or Bronze etch-style (can be printed to make a sticker for a proxy oversize general) and a 100 Pixel banner, suitable for including in your signature on this site.

Chefs, your Secret Ingredient for this Battle is:

RDW - Classic

Paraphrased from MTG Salvation Wiki:
Quote:
RDW decks are generally red-based aggressive decks that use small and cheap creatures on early turns to quickly diminish the opponent's life total. If the creatures are not enough, burn spells are used to finish the opponent off. The burn spells also double to remove blockers...These decks have more control elements than traditional Sligh, and it is debatable whether or not they deserve the title Red Deck Wins.

Welcome to Battle Red Deck Wins.

In this battle ...

... Marton Stromgald Will lead your army in a crushing rush and prove that Red is not dead in EDH. Give us your interpretation of EDH Multiplayer RDW. This is not your normal 60 card constructed, so nobody expects a reliable T3-4 win, but we do expect to see what Red does best - aggression and damage until only Red remains. RDW, as an archetype, combines an aggressive strategy with elements of direct damage, punishment and control. Making sure your army can swing in for the win. Don't forget to name your deck, because you surely don't want me to name it for you <insert ominous music here>.

This is possibly one of the hardest strategies to balance fun and power, politics and punishment and remain aggressive without oppression. Who will stand supreme?

Prizes will be a Gold, Silver or Bronze image of Marton and the Battle RDW Sig Banner!

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-31 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle RDW
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-31 9:11 pm 

I kind of want to see what names you would give decks....do you penalise for lack of deck name!? lol

I am glad you mentioned Martom at the end...I can't see the image! lol.

In relation to this, Martom needs a reprint!!!!! :mrgreen:

This one should be FUN!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-31 10:36 pm 

maiden77 wrote:

I added his name to the text, in case other's can't see the image.

Quote:
In relation to this, Marton needs a reprint!!!

Unfortunately, he's reserve listed, so no reprints. Shame, he was one of my favorite IA cards too (along with Wiitigo)

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 12:27 am 

Treamayne wrote:
maiden77 wrote:

Quote:

Unfortunately, he's reserve listed, so no reprints. Shame, he was one of my favorite IA cards too (along with Wiitigo)

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!....does this mean reserved list is accepted for this challenge?! I reread your post and it doesn't explicitly say no this time around, I am sure it said so before somewhere.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 1:21 am 

maiden77 wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
maiden77 wrote:

Quote:

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!....does this mean reserved list is accepted for this challenge?! I reread your post and it doesn't explicitly say no this time around, I am sure it said so before somewhere.

It specifically said no reserved list last time because it was intended to be a preconstructed deck. As in a deck that Wizards could theoretically build and put on the market. A deck like that can't have a reserved list card because that would require Wizards to reprint it.

Every other deck is just supposed to be your own personal deck that you made for you, so there's nothing that you can't use other than stuff that breaks this general's CI or stuff on the banned list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 4:28 am 

Cool, thank you! :-)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 8:10 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
maiden77 wrote:

It specifically said no reserved list last time because it was intended to be a preconstructed deck. As in a deck that Wizards could theoretically build and put on the market. A deck like that can't have a reserved list card because that would require Wizards to reprint it.

Every other deck is just supposed to be your own personal deck that you made for you, so there's nothing that you can't use other than stuff that breaks this general's CI or stuff on the banned list.

Precisely..... or another way to think of it is: There are three spoiler tags in the Battle Posts.... anything that appears in the third spoiler tag is specific to that battle only (but the first two, judging and rules, are common to every battle).

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 5:26 pm 

Any rarity restrictions? I either missed seeing it, or didn't see one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-01 7:12 pm 

maiden77 wrote:
...does this mean reserved list is accepted for this challenge?! I reread your post and it doesn't explicitly say no this time around, I am sure it said so before somewhere.

Ukkmaster wrote:
Any rarity restrictions? I either missed seeing it, or didn't see one.

I will try to be more explicit. If something is not listed as a restriction or guideline in the "Battle" section of the main post, it is not restricted in this or future events.

Specifically, for Battle Red Deck Wins, the guidelines are that Marton Stromgald is your General (and therefore the deck is mono-Red) and that the deck itself reminds the judges of the "Red Deck Wins" style of decks. However you want to interpret the RDW style and adapt that to Multi-player EDH is up to you.

Normal EDH color identity and ban lists also apply.

I apologize if the change from last contest is jarring - Last contest I allowed a freedom in choosing generals and colors, and more heavily restricted deck content. This contest allows more freedom of content, but restricts the color and general. I am hoping to keep each contest "fresh" by changing the dimensions of the restrictions and guidelines since there will always be battles that appeal to some deck chefs and not others. That way if there is a battle that just doesn't ring your bell (like Uktabi in the last contest, if he doesn't mind being made an example of) you feel no harm done in knowing that the next contest will be different and might inspire you more. It is also why I am alternating between "secret ingredient" and "theme" battles (though there is always an element of both).

Hope that helps

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-06 10:16 am 

Chefs,

Let me introduce this Battle's panel of Judges:

Tim Proctor, who has decided not to let Mr Cool tie him in this contest (by judging instead)

Ukkmaster, who joins our soirée to judge this battle

JJackson, who showed us last month with his Gruul deck how much he enjoys smashing face.

Chairman's Questions for the judges (with the usual disclaimer of answer only what you feel comfortable will not sway the chef's approach to this battle:

Please answer one or more of the following:

How/when did you first encounter EDH? How long had you been playing MtG when you "found" EDH?

What is your favorite non-EDH casual format? Why?

If you could change one mechanic in Red, what mechanic would you remove from Red's color pie and what mechanic would you replace it with (not limited to evergreen mechanics if you feel the best replacement would be making a new evergreen mechanic out of a block mechanic)?

What Secret Ingredient would you most look forward to cooking with in a future Battle?

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-07 3:17 am 

I started playing EDH in 2009ish. I started playing Magic in 94/95. Stopped right around when the 8th edition rules changes and then jumped onboard again late 2009 when I heard about EDH.

My favorite non-EDH format is Cube. I think games need to have a level playing field for the most part and that a cube has a neat way of balancing power.

I would love to remove the treasonous nature of red (stealing and giving creatures) and I would rather have more of the blow up stuff and hurt its owner (Detonate for creatures).

I would love to see so many different themes like unexpected tribal (Edric for rogues), crazy mechanics (phasing, defender), or politickerry.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-07 1:12 pm 

I first played EDH around late 2008 or early 2009...with Braids. I started to get the format a few months after that.

When it comes to non-EDH casual, I mostly cube (with a preference for not-quite-fully-powered cube without explicit combo support). I love being able to do powerful things, but also like to have games play out in a variety of ways where everybody has a chance.

I'm not sure what mechanic I would take from Red, but I know which one that I would love to see more. Destruction effects that come with some amount of backlash damage. Effects like Aftershock and such.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-07 1:29 pm 

Hey folks, glad to be with you!

I encountered it in January around the year of 2011 when a group of friends kept bugging me about my binders of...cards... and numerous boxes just sitting in my closet. I left the format just before Mirrodin showed up, after playing since somewhere around Alpha/Beta, to discover a format where casual fun and amusement mattered most.

I don't really have another casual format, apart from the odd Planechase or other variant of play, that I normally play. If it had to be a format I loved most outside of EDH, it would be sealed because I love seeing what people come up with, the ideas people have, and the chaos that can unfold when hope is having no cards in hand and being dead on table next turn.

I would give red more "at a cost" style of card advantage, where the more you're willing to dig in your heels and take it, the more power you could gain from holding that ground. Vengeance is a dish best served flaming hot. Currently, too much of it hurts you just as badly.

Originality and creativity are my key ingredients to anything I cook up, and I love nothing more than witnessing clever interactions, criminally unused bargain bin tools, and interactive zaniness; the crazier the better. There is always a cooler way to do something than spending 50$ on a proven powerhouse. I hope to see more of these things in the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-12 10:30 pm 

Chefs,

Just a friendly reminder, roughly 40 hours remain to submit your entries.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-13 6:53 am 

I've submitted scores for all the submitted decks.

Offline Profile