Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Guild Wars
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-11 4:07 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Again, sorry for lack of "attention to detail."

That's two screw-ups so far... wonder what number three will be. (First was found by the applicable entrant within 30min of posting the lists)

Don't worry about it. You're doing everyone in the community a service here by running this :wink:

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-11 11:29 pm 

Masked Thespian wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
Again, sorry for lack of "attention to detail."

That's two screw-ups so far... wonder what number three will be. (First was found by the applicable entrant within 30min of posting the lists)

Don't worry about it. You're doing everyone in the community a service here by running this :wink:

Seconded. Honestly, we should all do our level best to make the process easier for you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-12 1:41 am 

Yeah, if anyone should beat themselves up it's the builder for putting something like that in there. In round 1 we had a one person submit a TappedOut link only and another a deckbox decklist link only, I told them to fix it but they didn't and so I had to reformat them. While I build on tapped out you can't post a link to it. I don't think I would have caught the link in a narrative.

The point is that anonymity is a huge part of this game, and you can't reveal your identity, please don't make it harder on the Chairman.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-18 6:51 am 

I can't wait to see what the judges think of the decks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:33 am 

Results are starting to come in but, like I said, it is a lot of entries and with life to live it is taking the judges longer than expected since I think we would all prefer to have thoughtful critique and scores than rushed results.

The judges are working hard to get the remainder of the results to you, but the reveal is delayed until all results have been posted or 31 Aug. The next battle will commence 1 Sep to set us on a monthly schedule, regardless of when results and reveals finalize this battle. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-24 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:38 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Golgari vs Boros

Ludmilla meets with Vraska and finds their goals coincide. Vraska doesn't want to be involved in guild politics so Ludmilla will do that in her stead. Together they find other gorgons to help in their task, and they train their assassins and minions. After a short internal struggle Ludmilla rises in power again. She's not guild leader, but she can focus the attention of her part of the Golgari on the lawabiding Boros. She will not kill them all, just the ones once close to Feather. Revenge will be sweet indeed, no matter who she must go through to get it.

Ludmilla, the last of the Sisters of Stone Death, has been banished to the undercity by Feather. Having been the Golgari guild leader before, she plots her return. Ludmilla gathers minions from the undercity to kill her opponents. Other beings capable of killing by touch, gaze and poison are drawn to her army. The Golgari have always known what hunting and assassination means and Ludmilla plans to exploit that knowledge.

Mechanical description

This deck is built with the abilities and creature type of Sisters of Stone Death in mind. Most creatures are capable of killing any creature with their deathtouch (or similar) ability. Enhanced with trample the Sisters are capable of doing 21 commander damage by exiling all possible blockers. In general, Trample and deathtouch are always a nice combination allowing you to not only kill creatures but also the planeswalkers (players) summoning the opposing creatures.

I tried to keep the amount of staples to a minimum, but with a commander of 8 mana, ramp is necessary.

General: Sisters of Stone Death

Land (39)
Forest x 14
Swamp x 13

Arena
Bojuka Bog
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Golgari Guildgate
Golgari Rot Farm
Rogue's Passage
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
Tainted Wood
Tectonic Edge
Terramorphic Expanse
Treetop Village

Creatures (29)
Acidic Slime
Brawn
Deadly Recluse
Deathrite Shaman
Grave Titan
Harvester of Souls
Hornet Queen
Hythonia the Cruel
Infernal Medusa
Keepsake Gorgon
Kessig Recluse
Liliana's Reaver
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Nirkana Cutthroat
Ogre Slumlord
Ohran Viper
Pharika's Mender
Reaper of the Wilds
Sluiceway Scorpion
Stinkweed Imp
Turntimber Basilisk
Ulvenwald Tracker
Vampire Nighthawk
Vengeful Pharaoh
Visara the Dreadful
Wasteland Viper
Xathrid Gorgon
Xathrid Slyblade
Yavimaya Elder

Enchantment (5)
Deadbridge Chant
Grave Betrayal
Rancor
Spidersilk Armor
Underworld Connections

Planeswalker (2)
Garruk, Apex Predator
Vraska the Unseen

Artifact (8)
Chariot of Victory
Darksteel Ingot
Golgari Cluestone
Golgari Keyrune
Golgari Signet
Power Matrix
Sol Ring
Sword of Vengeance

Instant (7)
Back to Nature
Berserk
Consume Strength
Golgari Charm
Putrefy
Sylvan Might
Tragic Slip

Sorcery (9)
Cultivate
Disturbed Burial
Enlarge
Gaze of Granite
Hunter's Prowess
Kodama's Reach
Life // Death
Overrun
Vigor Mortis

Originality: 4

Power: 3

Elegance: 4

Usage of Theme/Secret Ingredient: 4

Total: 15

Originality: 3

Power: 2

Usage of Theme/Secret Ingredient: 5

Comments: While “deathtouch deck” isn't a very original concept (there was one in the last contest!), I like what it does to the flavour of the deck when combined with the gorgon thing. It's aesthetically tight (in more than one sense of the word), which is pretty awesome, and important for a good precon especially. Your power suffers, though, since most of your threats can be ignored for most of the game, letting your opponent save removal for your commander. It needs the lure and pinger stuff to actually take advantage of the deathtouch.

High marks for elegance and secret sauce, due to the clean and pure execution of the strategy, however. I could genuinely see this in a precon box, due to the low power and obvious areas for expansion, as well as a couple exciting chase cards for more experienced players (though Berserk might be a stretch!).

Total: 14

Originality: 5 out of 5
Comments: I liked the fact that you used the weakest and least popular general from my favorite of the guilds, and did so in a way that actually made a lot of sense. Heavy incorporation of characters from Ravnica itself and the fact that there are very few staples that aren't perfectly on theme are also extra points.

Power: 4 out of 5
Comments: I felt that the curve and a lot of cool synergies (my personal favorite was Harvester of Souls and Reaper of the Wilds, I am totally stealing that for my next Golgari deck) as well as a manageable amount of draw and ramp made the deck perform relatively well. I felt that there were certain cards that either didn't do enough (Xathrid Skyblade was almost always not very useful) or cards that sometimes had negative effects (I'm not sure all the dredge cards were exactly a great fit with the relatively small amount of reanimation).

Elegance: 4 out of 5
Comments: This deck has a lot of simple synergies that any new player could understand, has no cards that I would hate to play against, and for the most part is relatively inexpensive. A point was taken off for some super expensive cards that could have caused the Scavenging Ooze/True-Name Nemesis effect (Berserk in particular).

Use of Secret Ingredient: 4 out of 5
Comments: This deck reminds me a lot of the Gabriel Angelfire deck I built in that it includes pretty much every aspect of the card itself in the theme. It's got tons of abilities that mimic or synergize with those of the general, many cards are part of its tribe (tough tribe too), and several cards that reference its lore in Ravnica. However, the one thing this deck did far better than my Gabe deck was make it so that the vast majority of the time you want to cast your general. There is enough ramp, enough synergy, and the fact that it is the most expensive (mana-wise) card in the deck to ensure that it sees play quite often. However, it avoided a perfect score due to the fact that Sisters is literally the ONLY general in the deck, as opposed to the official precons and many of the other contestants' submissions, where there were multiple generals that could be switched and have the deck still function. Personally, I would have included Varolz and maybe some non-Ravnican BG general like Glissa.

Overall Rating: 17 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:42 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Boros vs Golgari

For performing unspeakable acts on the honored dead, The Boros Legion marches upon the Golgari scum. Necromancers are blight upon the planet, and stand against all things holy and just. They must be pacified, maybe even eradicated. For the good of Ravnica!
--Agrus Kos

Hi there. I chose Boros for my duel deck as Boros was my first ever deck so it holds a special place for me.

I have gone with the legions type boros deck, full of Roman style soldiers, with a sprinkling of combat tricks and spells specific to the Boros theme of law, order and piety to the gods in their own specific way. I wanted the deck to be able to play out in a variety of ways. Hence the inclusion of some equipment and instants and sorceries that can target and increase the power of the legions of Boros.

Each creature picked is specifically chosen to be a human soldier, or a boros soldier specifically (like skyknight legionnaire for example). I excluded cats and kor creatures, keeping to theme of human and goblin soldiers as set precedants in both Ravnica blocks.

I specifically chose artwork with Roman-esque artwork, classic soldiers, shield and sword type art, to keep the theme of the deck strong and flavourful. I wanted the legion to look like a legion when in play, rather than a rag tag bunch of powerful cards that are synergistic but don't visually match on the battlefield. This led to the decision to include cards that could create solider tokens, and boost soldiers, further strengthening the legion vast.

Angels are included again, as a nod to the classic Boros legion, angels supporting in the air and leading the fray from on high. The Angels included are also very thematically Boros, with an element of lifegain in the background, and being combat orientated in each case of inclusion.

I picked Agrus Kos as general to be more in keeping with the legions theme deck I have chosen, but like all other Commander precons, he can easily be swapped with Tajic or Aurelia and the deck will still play as I intend, to be mainly combat based, and more creatures attacking than the opponent as often as possible.

I hope you enjoy the deck, I have also linked it to Tappedout, this will give you a chance to see it slightly differently than on here, if you so choose. It can also be playtested on the site and goldfished for a good feel for the deck.

I have chosen each card carefully to keep with the spells associated with Boros and also the types of equipment and enchantments they would use.

This deck is definitively Boros because it is pure, clean and righteous. The soldiers and angels leading and fighting for the legion all walk the same path of glory, magic is carefully chosen to be pure and honorable. All three included generals are equally suited to lead the glorious battles against the non-believers and unjust. The deck leans more to the pure and great white colour, the just, the righteous, the Godly. Red summons the power required to serve justice and helps deal justice to those who deserve it.

General: Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran

Land (36)
Mountain x 9
Plains x 16

Boros Garrison
Boros Guildgate
Command Tower
Daru Encampment
Forbidding Watchtower
Forgotten Cave
Mistveil Plains
Opal Palace
Secluded Steppe
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Creatures (35)
Akrasan Squire
Akroan Conscriptor
Akroan Crusader
Akroan Hoplite
Akroan Line Breaker
Akroan Phalanx
Archetype of Courage
Attended Knight
Aurelia, the Warleader
Balefire Liege
Boros Elite
Boros Guildmage
Boros Recruit
Boros Swiftblade
Captain of the Watch
Catapult Master
Dawnbringer Charioteers
Enlistment Officer
Field Marshal
Firemane Angel
Firemane Avenger
God-Favored General
Hero of Bladehold
Intrepid Hero
Odric, Master Tactician
Phalanx Leader
Seasoned Marshal
Skyknight Legionnaire
Sunhome Enforcer
Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Tethmos High Priest
Veteran Armorer
Veteran Armorsmith
Veteran Swordsmith
Wojek Halberdiers

Enchantment (4)
Assemble the Legion
Glory of Warfare
Marshal's Anthem
Mobilization

Planeswalker (1)
Elspeth Tirel

Artifact (3)
Chariot of Victory
Sunforger
Sword of the Paruns

Instant (14)
Bathe in Light
Boros Charm
Brute Force
Chastise
Disenchant
Double Cleave
Lightning Helix
Master Warcraft
Phalanx Formation
Raise the Alarm
Rally the Righteous
Return to Dust
Warleader's Helix
Wear // Tear

Sorcery (6)
Brightflame
Captain's Call
Decree of Justice
Desperate Stand
Marshaling Cry
Martial Coup

Elegance: 3

Comments: Very nice work with card selection, strongly thematic through-and-through. The selected combat tricks are nice ones, and it looks like a fun aggro deck to pilot. The number of Heroic guys in the deck, though, really calls for more than the handful of targeted spells available, none of which were reusable. That fact did some damage in both the power and the elegance departments. This is a great example of a precon, though, so the sauce score is high.

Originality: 3 out of 5
Comments: While art-based themes are always cool, I'd argue that "Boros" and "Soldiers" are almost synonyms, making this a relatively easy and unoriginal deck to think of. There's also the fact that there really isn't an explanation as to why the rival is Golgari, other than the fact that Boros just hates Golgari.

Power: 2 out of 5
Comments: If the challenge was "pick a deck type and color combination and make all of its weaknesses really obvious", than this deck would win no contest. Boros Charm is its only anti-wrath tech, way too many creatures are just tiny and vanilla and useless after about turn 5, and the sources of card advantage can not only be counted on one hand, but are also mostly small-scale one-shot effects.

Elegance: 4 out of 5
Comments: Despite the deck's lack of power, it is elegant. It has good synergy between the cards in it and is really really easy to play, making it a great deck for a new player. It also has no cards that would lead to bad gamestates, which is something that is a challenge for RW.

Comments: This deck makes excellent use of the secret ingredient. Kros is a great general for this type of deck that synergizes with a lot of stuff in it, but the deck would still be functional if Aurelia or Tajic took the helm instead.

Overall Rating: 13 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:42 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Azorius vs Rakdos

“Greetings, citizens! The Azorius guild, led by its illustrious parun Isperia, is responsible for bringing law and order to Ravnica. With the Azorius Lawbringers deck, you’ll be in charge of a formidable bureaucratic apparatus. You’ll use a remarkable suite of flying creatures to punish the lawbreakers while your powerful control spells keep your opponents from causing any mischief. First, we will take the fight to the biggest mischief makers on Ravnica - the Rakdos.”

I had two goals when building this deck: make a deck that captures the feel of Azorius as policemen, bureaucrats, and overseers, and make a deck that feels sufficiently like a preconstructed deck that players would want to buy. To address the latter goal, I deliberately gave the deck two themes (both of which fit the Azorius): tempo flyers and UW Control. While splitting the deck like this will likely cause me to take a hit in the power level department, I feel like it plays into the challenge’s injunction to “make a precon”. Precons historically have not been very powerful and have been designed as entry points for newer players. As part of that, they typically present several different themes to help make the task of deck building and customization easier for people with less experience; players can choose the subtheme they like, swap cards around to support that, and end up with a much better deck than they had before – all without needing a mastery of deckbuilding fundamentals. Thus, in order to capture that feeling, I deliberately toned down the deck’s power level and included weaker cards in each theme to allow players to both streamline (choosing one or the other theme to support) and to power up (replacing weak cards like Shackles with better spells from their collections). Luckily, the two themes chosen here complement each other since the control spells buy time for the flying creatures to chip away at your opponents, and there’s considerable overlap between the two decks (Prognostic Sphinx, for example). Players can choose to double down on the control deck by removing some of the smaller tempo creatures and adding more Wraths, card drawing, and big finishers, or they can follow the tempo build by removing some of the weaker control spells in favor of mid-sized evasion creatures, more ways to blink creatures for value, and more countermagic. To further solidify this, each of these subthemes has its own legendary creature included in the deck: Lavinia will help as a tempo beast while Ith can passively beat down and still provide good defense.

However, the challenge was not simply to make a precon, but to make a precon that captures the fundamentals of a guild. When I think of the Azorius, I think of dispassionate do-gooders who fundamentally just want to make the world a better place and understand that the way to do that is to develop a process and stick to it. Granted, over the (many) years since the guild’s founding the process has become an end rather than a means, but for all their potential to oppress and stifle the Azorius are not, in their hearts, bad guys. They just wish people would behave themselves more. The key here, though, is regulation: laws, codes, processes, and paperwork all exist to make sure that only the things you want to happen, can happen.

However, giving players a dedicated WU Control deck out of the box would probably be too fun-wrecking, so I gave the deck another subtheme to temper the desire to make nothing happen. The targeted and mass removal spells allow the Azorius Lawbringers player to dictate the pace of the game by keeping unruly creatures in line, but there aren’t enough of them to consistently shut down the board; thus, your opponents can have your fun things as long as they use them responsibly. The tempo aspect of the deck allows it to go on the warpath without having to give up its ability to regulate broken things or needing to pull the trigger on a Wrath that ends up eating a ton of its own creatures. The size of the flying creatures (including Isperia) means you can kill opponents quite rapidly once you start attacking them, giving players the tools they need to bring the game to a swift close once they get a handle on it.

There were a few other thematic decisions worth mentioning. With few exceptions, I tried to avoid using creature types or cards that mentioned entities that don’t fit in the Azorius, and focus on once that do; hence, the heavy use of Sphinxes and near-absence of Angels, since the latter are Boros’s and Orzhov’s thing. Non-Ravnican creatures like the Soratami are mostly excluded, as good as something like Meloku or Uyo would be here. Rare reprints were also chosen based partly on excitement factor and partly on Constructed playability: Vedalken Shackles, for example, makes sense on multiple levels since it’s a control spell, mentions Vedalken (who are at home in the Azorius, see Fall of the Gavel among others), and sees some Constructed play without being something like True-Name Nemesis that would cause players to snap the decks off the shelves for non-EDH reasons.

General: Isperia, Supreme Judge

Land (38)
Plains x 14
Island x 12

Azorius Chancery
Azorius Guildgate
Calciform Pools
Command Tower
Drifting Meadow
Hallowed Fountain
Lonely Sandbar
Prahv, Spires of Order
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Secluded Steppe
Sejiri Refuge

Creatures (31)
AEther Adept
Archon of the Triumvirate
Auramancer
Azorius Arrester
Azorius Guildmage
Azorius Justiciar
Court Hussar
Dauntless River Marshal
Deputy of Acquittals
Flickerwisp
Grand Abolisher
Horizon Scholar
Isperia's Skywatch
Ith, High Arcanist
Jelenn Sphinx
Lavinia of the Tenth
Mistmeadow Witch
Mulldrifter
Nevermaker
New Prahv Guildmage
Ornitharch
Prognostic Sphinx
Reveillark
Silkbind Faerie
Sky Hussar
Skymark Roc
Solemn Simulacrum
Tower Geist
Vedalken Dismisser
Wall of Denial
Wall of Omens

Enchantment (9)
Act of Authority
Detainment Spell
Detention Sphere
Ghostly Prison
Journey to Nowhere
Martial Law
Plumes of Peace
Shackles
Sphere of Safety

Planeswalker (2)
Jace, Architect of Thought
Venser, the Sojourner

Artifact (5)
Armillary Sphere
Azorius Keyrune
Azorius Signet
Sol Ring
Vedalken Shackles

Instant (9)
Absorb
Azorius Charm
Counterspell
Dismantling Blow
Feeling of Dread
Hinder
Momentary Blink
Sphinx's Revelation
Statute of Denial

Sorcery (5)
Austere Command
Council's Judgment
Day of Judgment
Decree of Justice
Supreme Verdict

Total: 13

Originality: 2

Usage of Theme/Secret Ingredient: 3

Comments: Both the flavour and the mechanics of the deck were a bit too scattered to earn many originality points, unfortunately. I understand that was intentional, to try and capture that precon feeling of two decks mashed up, but there wasn't enough tying those two decks together. Middling points for power and elegance come from a too-heavy focus on cheap combat tricks, with a suite, though, that doesn't do quite enough and leaves the pilot with too much card disadvantage. The overabundance of wimpy bears, I think, would also leave new players with a bad taste in their mouths after a multiplayer game or two.

Total: 11

Comments: While Azorius control isn't exactly a new idea, the intense specificity as well as the addition of the flying subtheme seems to fit perfectly into the concept of the deck. However, there isn't much of an explanation as to why Rakdos is the enemy other than "rakdos is evil".

Comments: It functions as your typical UW control w/fliers deck, and like those decks, it has a nice blend of spot removal, mass removal, card advantage, and threats. Not much more I need to say.

Elegance: 3 out of 5
Comments: Not really anything good or bad regarding the elegance. It doesn't have any major flaws, but it also doesn't have anything that stands out to me as awesome.

Comments: This deck does use the secret ingredient well, with a fairly large overlap between the two themes and a general that supports both themes very well. I have pretty much the same comments here that I do with the elegance, not too much that's outstanding, but I don't see any problems with it either.

Overall Rating: 14 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:43 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Izzet vs Izzet

The greatest battle of arcana ever seen on Ravnica spills forth through tin street, the guildpact has been killed by Vraska and total war is erupting. The old rules are no longer kept in abidance.

Melekchampion of Izzet and follower of the Dracogenius allied with Ral Zarek have established an army of elementals, weirds, and wizards. They stand united against a very unexpected foe.

With the destruction of Ravnica and total war errupting many forces have banded together against all planeswalkers. The two of the greatest wizards in Ravnica lead the charge against the interference of planeswalkers. Tibor and Lumia have fielded an army, and with spells at the ready, they step forward to eliminate any threat in Izzet vs. Izzet.

In Izzet vs. Izzet the greatest wizards have prepared themselves for fighting, this build is for the anti-planeswalker side and follows the clunky Izzet mechanics that somehow just seem to work.

Tibor and Lumia take great advantage from cards like Archetype of Imagination, or Wonder. Not to mention Charisma or anything that gives them deathtouch. With the Archetype in play it allows for them to wipe the board on command with any spell.

Another good thing that they have are with the Viashino who are cast, trigger the minor earthquake, enter the battlefield and can swing and get returned to hand so that it can happen the next turn. The red trigger isn't the only trigger that they have, the blue trigger is interesting with Floodgate.

There is enough recursion in the deck that it should run out of steam, flashback, retrace, etc. are all mechanics that should help it keep going and always have something to do... hope you enjoy.

BTW, Sol Ring is in here cause all precons have to have them, it's a tradition.

General: Tibor and Lumia

Land (39)
Island x 13
Mountain x 12

Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Grixis Panorama
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Lonely Sandbar
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Smoldering Crater
Soaring Seacliff
Terramorphic Expanse
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek

Creatures (24)
Archetype of Imagination
Ashen Firebeast
Charmbreaker Devils
Deep-Slumber Titan
Fire Ants
Floodgate
Frostwind Invoker
Grinning Ignus
Hammerfist Giant
Hunted Phantasm
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
Nucklavee
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Shard Phoenix
Shivan Phoenix
Stormtide Leviathan
Thunder Dragon
Vedalken AEthermage
Viashino Cutthroat
Viashino Sandscout
Viashino Sandstalker
Voidmage Husher
Wonder

Enchantment (5)
Charisma
Dizzying Gaze
Flood
Gravitational Shift
Tidal Flats

Artifact (8)
Basilisk Collar
Gorgon Flail
Gorgon's Head
Izzet Signet
Mizzium Transreliquat
Skyshaper
Sol Ring
Sword of Kaldra

Sorcery (11)
Breath of Darigaaz
Call the Skybreaker
Deep Analysis
Earthquake
Flame Jab
Molten Birth
Molten Disaster
Mystic Retrieval
Rekindled Flame
Rough // Tumble
Volcanic Spray

Instant (12)
Blue Sun's Zenith
Capsize
Death Spark
Deluge
Fault Line
Inflame
Jilt
Magmaquake
Punishing Fire
Release the Ants
Rock Slide
Shattering Pulse

Elegance: 2

Total: 12

Power: 4

Comments: Izzet vs. Izzet is an amusing way to get around the “only build one deck” ruling while satisfying the urge to build for both sides! I also really like the theme of the deck, and you've put a lot of interesting choices that are perfect fits with Tibor and Lumia, but can fit into a wide range of other archetypes after the precon owner decides to scrap it for parts. This is exactly my style of deck, with a lot of complicated tricks to earn card advantage and board position, but unfortunately that hurts you in the elegance category, since it would probably be confusing and frustrating for a new player to watch their board inexplicably melt away.

I just have one question, though: What do you do if you play against fliers??

Comments: Picking a guild versus itself is a gamble... and one that has successfully paid off! There are also a lot of cards that would normally be considered unviable in EDH but work extremely well here. Awesome idea for a deck, definitely not the route any sane person would take when building Izzet. I love it!

Comments: This deck manages to make good use of some really bad cards and turn them into awesomeness. The lack of card advantage is made up for by the continual removal of T&L as well as the fact that the player gets to re-use a lot of the cards in the deck over and over. This deck did surprisingly well in practice.

Comments: Like the Azorius deck, this deck's elegance has nothing really of note positively or negatively.

Use of the Secret Ingredient: 5 out of 5
Comments: I can pretty much say the exact same thing about this deck that I did about the Sisters deck. The deck perfectly encapsulates everything that Tibor and Lumia do and makes it work really well. The one complaint I have is that Tibor and Lumia are all that this deck does, with no generals to switch into. However, after I just did a check on what other generals are available, I realized that none of them fit the theme very well (Jhoira and Nin in particular would be more likely to work for the "Pro Planeswalker" side of Izzet anyway and Keranos just doesn't make sense in this deck), so this deck is excused in that area.

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:44 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Gruul vs Orzhov

"Orzhov bad! Kill Gruul, take Gruul turf! CRUSH THEM! After crush, WE EAT!"
-Borborygmos, Leader of the Gruul clans

The Gruul are a ferocious, if ragtag, coaltion of tribes and clans who live unfettered by the shackles of civilization. Only two things can unite them: a threat large enough to endanger them all and the the unquestioned might of the ferocious cyclops, Borborygmos.

This deck is focused on creatures that embody the primal rage of the Gruul, their might-makes-right attitude, and their only real concern: filling their bellies.

General: Borborygmos

Land (38)
Forest x 11
Mountain x 14

Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Gruul Guildgate
Gruul Turf
Kazandu Refuge
Khalni Garden
Mountain Valley
Shivan Oasis
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Temple of the False God
Treetop Village
Zoetic Cavern

Creatures (38)
Anger
Brawn
Countryside Crusher
Dragon Broodmother
Farhaven Elf
Ghor-Clan Rampager
Gorger Wurm
Greenweaver Druid
Gristleback
Gruul Ragebeast
Hellkite Hatchling
Hungry Spriggan
Indrik Stomphowler
Mitotic Slime
Mycoloth
Polis Crusher
Polukranos, World Eater
Predator Dragon
Preyseizer Dragon
Pyreheart Wolf
Rapacious One
Rubblebelt Raiders
Rubblehulk
Rumbling Slum
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Skarrg Guildmage
Skullmulcher
Thromok the Insatiable
Ulamog's Crusher
Ulasht, the Hate Seed
Viridian Emissary
Voracious Cobra
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Wasteland Viper
Wildheart Invoker
Wood Elves
Wrecking Ogre
Zhur-Taa Druid

Enchantment (4)
Crusher Zendikon
Feed the Pack
Gruul War Chant
Gutter Grime

Planeswalker (1)
Garruk, Primal Hunter

Artifact (1)
Sol Ring

Instant (9)
Bramblecrush
Crushing Vines
Fissure
Fresh Meat
Hunger of the Howlpack
Pit Fight
Relic Crush
Smash to Smithereens
Wild Hunger

Sorcery (8)
Aftershock
Armed // Dangerous
Crush of Wurms
Explosive Vegetation
Hunting Wilds
Overwhelming Stampede
Time to Feed
Wild Swing

Originality: 2

Comments: Ahh, Gruul beats, pure as a fresh rain of gore. Honest, straightforward threats earn you marks, but a lack of any real way to interact with your opponents gives them back, unfortunately. Elegance is scratched by the abundant math-heavy X effects (particularly Ulasht and Thromok. Borbor doesn't like algebra). Secret sauce takes a small hit from the feel-bads of Vorinclex and annihilator. But these are just numbers on a screen. WE EAT.

Originality: 2 out of 5
Comments: As much as I love Gruul Smash, it's not really interesting or creative in any way. The narrative also doesn't give any real insights, and there's no real explanation as to why Orzhov is the badguy, when I'd argue that Boros, and Azorius also fit the description.

Power: 3 out of 5
Comments: The deck has a lot of good cards, but that's about it. There is some synergy between devourers and devourees but it's not very present. Most of the victories this deck achieves are due to nothing more than the sheer might of some of the big dudes and/or an occasional random alpha strike.

Elegance: 2 out of 5
Comments: Nothing really special regarding synergy or ease of use for a new player. However, there are some cards in this deck that easily lead to unfavorable gamestates. Vorinclex in particular is nasty, and Ulamog's Crusher doesn't exactly help matters.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 3 out of 5
Comments: This deck seems like mostly a hodgepodge of Gruul-flavored effects and cards, with a minor focus on devour and food. Most of the time there are better cards than the general to cast, keeping him from entering the field. The one thing I will say positive about this deck is that there are a large choice of alternative generals who all can fulfill nice roles in the deck.

Overall Rating: 10 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:45 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Orzhov vs Gruul

Listen to the message of our Grand Envoy, Teysa Karlov! She has deemed it necessary to finally quell the sad dream of freedom among the Gruul, and bring their power under our own. The will of the Orzhov is clear in this matter: the Gruul clans live without paying homage to our power and wealth; therefore, they must face the consequences of their lack of subjugation.

The Orzhov, as a guild, is defensive and simultaneously offensive. Their tools attempt to control the game and slowly bleed their opponents to death. This is obtained by utilizing cards which serve multiple purposes. The inspiration for this deck stems a lot from Jade Monolith. In the early part of a game, the small creatures in the deck can provide pressure or counter aggro creatures. The Monolith allows these same small creatures to block and then be turned into 1/1 flying Spirits in the late game, thus creating endless blockers. If indestructible is given to these same small creatures, then bingo! Big creatures can similarly either deal damage to opponents for an effect, or combine with Jade Monolith for effects while blocking.

In terms of flavor, the death of small creatures to Teysa's effect represents the Orzhov Syndicate's requirement of debts to be paid even in death. It is not enough for a knight or a cleric to serve the Orzhov their entire life; death is only the beginning. When indestructible is involved, this is the closest we can get to creating Thrulls (soulless bodies) from regular creatures--more or less.

The other non-creature cards are mostly used as support: ramping, drawing cards, removal, or negating the loss of life required for the deck to function. Some of these cards also work well with Jade Monolith. The Ring of Xathrid can regenerate a creature and still allow a Spirit to be created. Orzhov Charm returns a creature before it dies. Evangelize forces an opposing creature to bear the consequences of their debt to the Orzhov. Finally, Trinisphere is the Legacy/Vintage inclusion which all of these decks tend to have; however, this is not the only reason for its inclusion. An early Trinisphere can help prevent an early swarm and ramp from opposing decks, while a mid-to-late Trinisphere can suffocate combo decks. Furthermore, Trinisphere is close to the flavor of Orzhov decks: what better way to force opponents to pay the debts they were previously unaware of?

Finally, there needs to be an explanation of some of the card exclusions. Why is generic reanimation and Zombies not included in this deck? My answer is they don't fit the Orzhov theme: Zombies and reanimation aren't common in the Orzhov-controlled districts because the Orzhov use dead bodies to make Thrulls. This is a distinct divergence from traditional Black-based decks due to the inclusion of White. In this deck I have placed a Legendary Rat, an Avatar, and a couple Kor creatures, because these support the theme of the deck while allowing for exciting and powerful combinations with other cards.

The exclusion of any Planeswalkers is similarly simple: most of them would have nothing to do with the Orzhov flavor-wise. The only Orzhov planeswalker creates Vampire tokens, which is a creature type more suited to the Golgari or Dimir. While some of their abilities would be certainly useful in a deck such as this, it would be up to the buyer to find and make changes to include them.

Some powerful/interesting synergies: Kor creatures plus Souls of the Faultless or creatures with protection; Spirit Bonds with Teysa's ability; Celestial Mantle with Jade Monolith; and Teysa automatically turns on Angelic Overseer's ability.

General: Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts

Land (40)
Plains x 15
Swamp x 10

Barren Moor
Bojuka Bog
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Opal Palace
Orzhov Basilica
Orzhov Guildgate
Secluded Steppe
Sejiri Steppe
Tainted Field
Temple of the False God
Terrain Generator
Terramorphic Expanse
Vault of the Archangel
Vivid Meadow

Creatures (25)
Scion of Darkness
Angelic Overseer
Banisher Priest
Burnished Hart
Deathless Angel
Deathpact Angel
Defender of Law
Geist-Honored Monk
Guardian of the Guildpact
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Knight Exemplar
Knight of Dawn
Knight of Glory
Knight of Infamy
Knight of Obligation
Knight of the Holy Nimbus
Maw of the Obzedat
Scythe Specter
Selenia, Dark Angel
Shaman en-Kor
Silver Knight
Souls of the Faultless
Spirit en-Kor
Twilight Drover
Vizkopa Guildmage

Enchantment (9)
Celestial Mantle
Debtors' Knell
Field of Souls
Greed
Martyr's Bond
Oblivion Ring
Pillory of the Sleepless
Spirit Bonds
Spirit Loop

Artifact (9)
Armillary Sphere
Avarice Amulet
Jade Monolith
Orzhov Keyrune
Orzhov Signet
Ring of Xathrid
Sol Ring
Tainted Sigil
Trinisphere

Instant (7)
Condemn
Disenchant
Evangelize
Orzhov Charm
Return to Dust
Simulacrum
Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery (9)
Council's Judgment
Debt to the Deathless
Devouring Greed
Diabolic Tutor
Merciless Eviction
Minions' Murmurs
Sign in Blood
Syphon Mind
Victimize

Comments: The flavour is powerful in this deck. It practically tells you what it's all about, even if you don't know anything about Magic. I like its power level, too, which is right around where I think Commander precons should be. There are plenty of subthemes to latch onto as well, giving a new player quite a few immediate options for personalization. The only category without high marks is elegance, since the deck seems to promote overly-complicated board states, and probably often a feeling of grinding inevitability.

Originality: 4 out of 5
Comments: Orzhov is a very interesting concept (and was the deck I was toying around with before I decided to be a judge). This deck manages to bring most of the things that make Orzhov what it is together without being predictable or cookie-cutter. The one complaint I have is that the reason for Gruul being the enemy isn't completely clear.

Comments: This deck has the potential to win games, oftentimes while seeming like the underdog. The synergies in it are surprising and sometimes unexpected, which is always great. The one thing I don't like about the deck is that there aren't too many big hitters or closers and pretty much everything is draining everyone down slowly.

Elegance: 2 out of 5
Comments: The deck is mostly easily accessible, not too costly, and synergistic. The one problem is that it's not very fun to play with or against. Particularly playing against it is grinding and there isn't much actual close combat. Most of the time, the deck is either obviously going to win or its obviously going to lose. There is rarely a middle ground.

Comments:This deck's use of the secret ingredient is noticeable and relevant, especially with the usefulness of Teysa, but there isn't anything too special going on. There's also the fact that Selenia can kind of be a replacement general.... except nobody in the right mind would ever do that and expect the deck to perform as well or in the same way.

Overall Rating: 13 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:45 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Simic vs Rakdos

The Simic Combine has activated project Kraj, and it has absorbed all the cytoplast in Ravnica. Kraj's new target is the Cult of Rakdos, for this guild may be the only one strong enough to stop it from consuming all of Ravnica.

This deck is my take on an Experiment Kraj mutant deck. My interpretation of mutant includes cards relating to mutations, evolution, and growth.

My choice of creatures is representative of this as seen from cards with mutant creature type or by looking mutant-like in the art. I chose to include monsters from Theros as they are able to grow to incredible size and allow Kraj to become monstrous. There are also enchantments to further mutate my creatures and instants and sorceries to mutate Rakdos creatures into (relatively) harmless critters.

Inspiration:
The word "kraj" has three meanings; one in Czech and Slovak, one in Polish and one is Serbo-Croatian. One is "region" (in Polish and also in Czech and Slovak "country") the second is "edge" (Czech) and the third is "end" (Serbo-Croatian) (Russian word "kraj" has all the above meanings). Either the second option was used here, meaning "the edge of evolution", or the third meaning "the end of evolution."

General: Experiment Kraj

Land (38)
Forest x19
Island x19

Creatures (26)
Anthroplasm
Bane of Progress
Brontotherium
Canopy Crawler
Cryptic Annelid
Cytoplast Manipulator
Cytoplast Root-Kin
Draining Whelk
Fleetfeather Cockatrice
Helium Squirter
Heroes' Bane
Hydra Broodmaster
Master Biomancer
Moldgraf Monstrosity
Nantuko Vigilante
Nessian Asp
Novijen Sages
Phyrexian Ingester
Plaxcaster Frogling
Renegade Krasis
Riptide Shapeshifter
Shipbreaker Kraken
Sporeback Troll
Thornling
Trygon Predator
Vigean Graftmage

Enchantment (12)
Aqueous Form
Bred for the Hunt
Dragon Wings
Epic Proportions
Frog Tongue
Gigantiform
Krasis Incubation
Leaden Fists
Molting Skin
Overgrowth
Paralyzing Grasp
Shape of the Wiitigo

Artifact (2)
Birthing Pod
Evolution Vat

Instant (10)
Beast Within
Biomass Mutation
Essence Scatter
Evolution Charm
Mutant's Prey
Ovinize
Pongify
Rapid Hybridization
Reweave
Snakeform

Sorcery (11)
AEther Mutation
Biomantic Mastery
Curse of the Swine
Enlarge
Explosive Vegetation
Growth Spasm
Hunting Wilds
Polymorph
Rampant Growth
Recollect
Urban Evolution

Total: 16

Power: 5

Elegance: 1

Comments: Kraj has always been one of my favourites, and I really enjoyed going through this decklist, imagining all the crazy shenanigans your choices could offer. You have synergies going in all sorts of directions, both for Kraj and between the individual cards, and you've got a great mix of powerful stuff, goofy jank, and some boring jank for flavour (ironically). The power level is right on target for this project.

Unfortunately, I have played a Kraj deck, and as much as it hurts me to say, you got a 1 in elegance from me as soon as you chose it. The kid buying this precon had better purchase a bucket of dice at the same time, or he's going to have an awkward time.

Comments: This thing gets points from the start for being a Simic deck that isn't broken. Use of Kraj as opposed to all other Simic leaders is also novelty and interesting. Also does a good job of explaining the animosity toward Rakdos.

Comments: This deck has a remarkable amount of synergy with all of the counters being spread everywhere, although I would have suggested a couple other cards, particularly proliferaters and Cauldron of Souls. Regardless, the constant pressure on opponents and buildup of creatures simultaneously makes this deck pretty strong and usable.

Comments: This deck has nothing special going for it in this category, nor anything horrible going against it.

Comments: I was seriously considering giving this deck a 5.... until I saw the fact that there are ZERO nonbasic lands, something which just does not fly in a preconstructed deck. On closer inspection I also noticed the complete lack of mana rocks, another thing that preconstructed decks (especially EDH ones) don't do.

Overall Rating: 14 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-24 8:46 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Dimir vs Selesnya

Dimir spies report the Selesnya Enclave have been rapidly outgrowing their territory. Find out what their endgame is, and assign agents to dismantle their plan.

The deck is constructed around the three UB Legendary creatures, each able to command the deck to match the player's style: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, Dralnu, Lich Lord and Sygg, River Cutthroat. Lazav is the featured commander, with the deck having a mill theme as means for Lazav to copy creatures from your opponents’ graveyards. Dralnu allows for a different play style when leading the deck, being able to reuse the instants and sorceries that are used or milled into your own graveyard. As the third commander, Sygg pushes the strategy into card advantage territory.

Representing House Dimir, the creatures in this build include rogues, wizards and assassins. Merfolk are also well represented, as a possible direction for the deck to be modified with Sygg. A few cards in the deck care about these creature types, including Drowner of Secrets, Information Dealer, Sigil Tracer and Sage of Fables.

Bomb creatures include Massacre Wurm, Sphinx of Magosi, Overtaker and Havengul Lich. Overtaker (and to a lesser extent, Chamber of Manipulation) calls in Dimir’s sleeper agents by taking control of opponents creatures, making combat tricky, and worse yet when coupled with the deck’s sac outlets. Worst Fears is another bomb mythic, and what could be more Dimir than controlling another player's turn?

Removal is key to winning, and Dimir has plenty to go around. Board sweepers include Life's Finale (with bonus of looking through a library and putting more creatures down), Killing Wave to even the playing field, and Sudden Spoiling for a surprise blowout. Pinpoint removal is also strong with Assassin's Blade, Brittle Effigy (a nice rattlesnake), Grisly Spectacle (which adds to the milling) and Dismember. Creature based removal includes Nekrataal and Stalking Assassin, while Onyx Mage makes our army of relatively small creatures a definite combat threat. Onyx Mage also adds to our wizard count for Information Dealer and Sage of Fables.

Dimir values knowledge for planning and control. Information Dealer and Architects of Will allow you to manipulate the top of libraries, while Thoughtcutter Agent and Hired Torturer let you see what other players have in their hands. Lantern of Insight lets everyone see what cards are coming up, and the mill effects are a great way to abuse that knowledge.

Dakra Mystic doubles as mill and possible card draw, Lurking Informant mills or conversely leaves bad or useless cards on top of their library, Undercity Informer doubles as a sac outlet and Drowner of Secrets puts good use to all of our Merfolk. Non-creature mill cards include Duskmantle, House of Shadow, Dimir Charm, Trepanation Blade and Sands of Delirium (which puts extra mana to good use late game). Duskmantle Guildmage make all of these milling effects cause life loss to our opponents, making it a definite threat.

Discard effects include Unnerve, Blackmail, and Immobilizing Ink. Dinrova Horror and Recoil are great control with added discard effects, removal if the opponent's hand is empty. Dire Undercurrents works as both discard and draw effects depending on the spells played after. Draw effects are also plentiful with Sygg, River Cutthroat, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Disciple of Bolas and Compulsion to name a few. Sage of Fables is a particularly good draw engine (and power boost) with the number of wizards present in the deck. Both on-color cycle lands (Barren Moor and Lonely Sandbar) are included as well.

Some other good effects for the Dimir master plan include making your creatures unblockable with Rogue's Passage or Minamo Sightbender, and getting another use from cards in the graveyard with Dralnu, Lich Lord, Pit Keeper, Havengul Lich or Elixir of Immortality. Commander deck staples include Sol Ring, Swiftfoot Boots, Dimir Keyrune (mana rock) and an extra Legendary creature (of fewer colors) for players to brew with: Jalira, Master Polymorphist.

A few particular combos included: Lantern of Insight + any mill, Sigil Tracer + Worst Fears, Massacre Wurm and Sudden Spoiling. A group of combo cards include sacrifice outlets Jalira, Master Polymorphist, Safe Haven and Undercity Informer, for use with Overtaker or Chamber of Manipulation, to prevent giving the controlled creature back. Dralnu can also make use of the sac outlets to prevent him from taking damage. No infinite combos were included (I.e. Mindcrank) and the overall choices of cards were made to keep the power level of the deck within the power and price range of a precon.

General: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

Land (39)
Island x 13
Swamp x 13

Barren Moor
Cabal Pit
Cephalid Coliseum
Command Tower
Dimir Guildgate
Duskmantle, House of Shadow
Haunted Fengraf
Lonely Sandbar
Mystifying Maze
Opal Palace
Rogue's Passage
Safe Haven
Soaring Seacliff

Creatures (30)
Architects of Will
Dakra Mystic
Dimir Doppelganger
Dinrova Horror
Disciple of Bolas
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Drowner of Secrets
Duskmantle Guildmage
Havengul Lich
Hired Torturer
Information Dealer
Inkfathom Witch
Jalira, Master Polymorphist
Lurking Informant
Massacre Wurm
Maze Glider
Minamo Sightbender
Nekrataal
Onyx Mage
Overtaker
Pit Keeper
Psychosis Crawler
Sage of Fables
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Sigil Tracer
Sphinx of Magosi
Stalking Assassin
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Thoughtcutter Agent
Undercity Informer

Enchantment (6)
Chamber of Manipulation
Compulsion
Dire Undercurrents
Immobilizing Ink
Propaganda
Soul Ransom

Artifact (8)
Brittle Effigy
Dimir Keyrune
Elixir of Immortality
Lantern of Insight
Sands of Delirium
Sol Ring
Swiftfoot Boots
Trepanation Blade

Instant (8)
Assassin's Blade
Dimir Charm
Dismember
Grisly Spectacle
Into the Roil
Perplex
Recoil
Sudden Spoiling

Sorcery (8)
Blackmail
Breakthrough
Exsanguinate
Killing Wave
Life's Finale
Painful Memories
Unnerve
Worst Fears

Usage of Theme/Secret Ingredient: 5

Comments: As a straightforward millish, controlish deck, originality points are the lowest you earned. There's absolutely nothing wrong here, though, since it's well put together and the control and mill aspects are very well thought out, with multiple roles for most cards. Power and elegance each get high marks, since the deck would take quite a lot of ingenuity and forethought to pilot flawlessly, yet it doesn't require any of that from you as it would operate just fine in a draw-a-card-kill-your-guy style as well. Extra points for adding backup commanders to the maindeck!

Comments: Going the infiltration route of Dimir is always better than the popular options. Also great use of Selesnya, especially considering the cards in the deck that specifically combat it.

Power: 3 out of 5
Comments: Lots of synergy helps it out, but what I'd say the big problem is that too many of the cards have inefficient activated abilities, making the deck very clunky and taking a long time to get going. It also doesn't help that there isn't a lot of ramp to support these expensive abilities.

Comments: The price is kept in a solid range, the deck is just controlling and disrupting to be good but not enough to be overbearing, and it has no weird interactions that would confuse a new player. However, the abuse of a card like Worst Fears is enough to knock it down from what would have otherwise been a four.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 5 out of 5
Comments: I like the fact that I get to choose between three different generals to make the deck act in completely different ways. This deck encapsulates what Dimir is supposed to be, instead of the clone everything/reanimate everything/uber disruptor or whatever most UB decks run.

Overall Rating: 15 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Treamayne wrote:
Izzet vs Orzhov

We must not allow the establishment to stifle Izzet Innovation! I call all Izzet into battle against the Orzhov Syndicate for their attempts to undermine Izzet Progress across Ravnica.

Izzet Innovations focuses around the trial-and-error process of discovery and invention. There are lots of looters (including Dack) and lots of little cantrip artifacts. These work well with Niv-Mizzet mechanically, but they also represent of wading through a lot of chaff before you get to the really great ideas. Similarly, Goblin Welder is a strong card and helps this deck be able to win, but he also represents the idea of going back to the drawing board and trying and old idea to see it if will work better this time around.

The deck also has several cards that focus on "borrowing" another player's idea if it's a good one: Dack, Volition Reins, Thada Adel. (I didn't want to over-emphasize a generically powerful effect like Control Magic, but it was worth giving a nod and the effect is useful to have anyway.)

This deck intentionally avoids infinite combos, but I've included some strong synergies, such as Future Sight + Sensei’s Divining Top and Mirran Spy + Niv/Looters with a whole mess of very cheap artifacts. These obviously interact quite well with Niv and Psychosis Crawler. The other primary way to win is just to a have a REALLY big idea. I.E., a Monstrous Colossus of Akros. (Blightsteel is boring.)

Counters, Aftershock, and bounce spells are really just there to provide some extra interaction. Since this deck isn't trying to anything too inherently broken, it needs to be able to stop bad stuff from happening to it.

In general, this deck aims to capture the feel of an inventor just going through a whole mess of concepts to find the right idea. Relative to most Niv decks, it tries to play a very fair game with cards that work well together and reinforce the main theme, rather than going for pure power.

General: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Land (40)
Island x 18
Mountain x 11

Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Izzet Boilerworks
Lonely Sandbar
Remote Isle
Smoldering Crater
Terramorphic Expanse
Izzet Guildgate
Great Furnace
Seat of the Synod

Creatures (20)
Steel Hellkite
Colossus of Akros
Mycosynth Golem
Duplicant
Etherium Sculptor
Psychosis Crawler
Bosh, Iron Golem
Muzzio, Visionary Architect
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Cephalid Broker
Cephalid Looter
Goblin Welder
Thought Courier
Trinket Mage
Looter il-Kor
Merfolk Looter
Vedalken Engineer
Vedalken Archmage
Mirran Spy
Treasure Mage

Enchantment (3)
Future Sight
Narcolepsy
Volition Reins

Planeswalker (3)
Dack Fayden
Karn Liberated
Tezzeret the Seeker

Artifact (22)
Chromatic Star
Conjurer's Bauble
Darksteel Plate
Diviner's Wand
Elsewhere Flask
Everflowing Chalice
Ichor Wellspring
Illusionist's Bracers
Izzet Signet
Mind Stone
Mishra's Bauble
Mycosynth Wellspring
Oblivion Stone
Phyrexian Furnace
Prophetic Prism
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Spine of Ish Sah
Staff of Nin
Swiftfoot Boots
Terrarion
Urza's Bauble

Instant (6)
Counterspell
Stoic Rebuttal
Cyclonic Rift
Aetherize
Fact or Fiction
Hinder

Sorcery (5)
Aftershock
Reshape
Rush of Knowledge
Trash for Treasure
Fabricate

Power: 5

Usage of Theme/Secret Ingredient: 1

Comments: Niv-Mizzet artifacts is a pretty neat thing, since the artifact plans often include a lot of cantripping trinkets and Niv gives you a nice source of advantage for playing them. There's a lot of power in this deck. Almost too much for this challenge, but I decided to give you full marks for power anyway. I could see this thing competing with a lot of regular EDH decks. Elegance and secret sauce take big hits, though. You're going to be fiddling with your deck a lot of the time, shuffling, scrying, looting and drawing, and when Niv isn't in play that's a lot of actions for small optimization. Sensei's Top and Future Sight plus Etherium Sculptor or Mirran Spy and Vedalken Engineer are infinite, by the way, which is something I can't see Wizards ever adding to a precon.

Comments: On the plus side, the idea is original and interesting. On the down side, Niv is the most predictable general for this guild, there are tons of staples, and the exact reason for attacking Orzhov as opposed to some other controlling guilds is relatively unclear.

Power: 5 out of 5
Comments: This deck is by far the strongest one I've seen. With a steady stream of card advantage, one of the best generals in the game to support it, and a large amount of synergistic artifacts, this deck commands the attention of the whole table and does a good job of fighting off opponents.

Comments: The deck has a lot of expensive cards in it and is prone to relatively common nut draws. However, despite the second point, it is actually awesome to play and not even that bad to have to deal with.

Comments: This deck follows the secret ingredient extremely well. Like several others before it, the biggest problem is that Niv is the only general in the deck. It's especially disappointing considering Nin and Jhoira fit perfectly (well, Jhoira only fits storyline-wise, but still).

Overall Rating: 15 out of 20

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Treamayne wrote:
Izzet vs Simic

“Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?”

Squeak… Squeak…
BANG!

“Ah yes, there we are. We, the Magewrights of the Izzet League, do hereby challenge the Biomancers of the Simic Combine to a contest of SCIENCE! For many years now, rumours have been floating around the streets of Ravnica that the League has gone soft, dull, and malleable, as if the experiments that we perform for the good of all citizens and our genius has been surpassed by the Combine’s genetic manipulations. But I say, ‘NAY,’ to this!”

Fizz…

“The Simic Combine, whilst utterly inspired in their methodology, cannot compare to the sheer brilliance of the League’s designs, and for too long have the suggestions that their experiments are better than ours gone on. It is time to quash this gossip once and for all!”

Fizz-spark…

“The Izzet League therefore invites all of the fair citizens of Ravnica to come marvel at our combined fair of science, to be held in the Transguild Promenade on the morrow. It will truly be a momentous occasio…”

BOOM!

*Cough.* *Cough.*

“Hmm… I think that went rather well, didn’t it?”

The Izzet League marches to war! Or, more likely, to a battle of wits against the other scientific guild, the Simic Combine. And what better way to prove their intellectual superiority than with an experiment-off.

Despite the background of Izzet as experimenters supreme, their set mechanics (Replicate and Overload) do very little to replicate any sense of experimentation. But there is one area of Magic where there is a sense of excitement, wonder, and, "Izzet gonna work?" And that, my friends, would be with the "flip a coin" mechanic. There is truly a sense of the unknown with each and every flip of a coin and that, to me, is where the Izzet League should reside. There are also a few cards that have random outcomes; these fit in this same area.

There are three Commanders supplied with this deck, in the same way that all ten of the existing preconstructed decks have done so. The main Commander (who would be on the front of the packaging) is Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. I took care to stay away from his earlier, more combo-friendly counterpart because I feel the pre-cons are aimed more towards newer players and Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind can draw a lot of hatred sometimes (not to mention that the Firemind has already had a release in Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari). The two other Commanders in this deck both represent various aspects of the Izzet League and of the Blue-Red color combination; Melek, Izzet Paragon is all about copying spells for fun and profit whilst Keranos, God of Storms is more about the random aspect I discussed above. I did consider Nin, the Pain Artist as an alternative to Keranos, but she occupies a very similar space to Niv-Mizzet (spend mana to do damage and draw cards), and Jhoira of the Ghitu is clearly a very powerful card but I feel she doesn't really embody many of the experimental aspects of Izzet (not to mention is another card that does combo really well).

The key card to the coin flip strategy is Krark's Thumb, and there are a small number of tutors designed to see it come out earlier than not (hopefully). The coin flip cards, with the exception of Izzet's very own Ral Zarek, have all been chosen specifically that they require winning the coin flip so as to not confuse players with regard to the deck's alternative win condition, Chance Encounter.

The creatures are a mix of Izzet-related and those that work well with Instants and Sorceries. There are also a large amount of Izzet-related cards in other areas and specifically none dedicated to other Guilds; the exception is Hypervolt Grasp, which was printed incorrectly in its original incarnation and is included here so that the watermark can be updated appropriately.

General: Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Land (40)
13 x Island
15 x Mountain

Command Tower
Desolate Lighthouse
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Ghost Quarter
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Lonely Sandbar
Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
Rupture Spire
Terramorphic Expanse
Transguild Promenade

Creatures (21)
Charmbreaker Devils
Djinn Illuminatus
Frostburn Weird
Gelectrode
Goblin Bangchuckers
Goblin Electromancer
Goblin Kaboomist
Goblin Test Pilot
Guttersnipe
Hypersonic Dragon
Izzet Guildmage
Keranos, God of Storms
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Mercurial Chemister
Nivix Guildmage
Nucklavee
Skyclaw Thrash
Steamcore Weird
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Wee Dragonauts
Young Pyromancer

Enchantment (3)
Chance Encounter
Hypervolt Grasp
Planar Chaos

Planeswalker (1)
Ral Zarek

Artifact (4)
Izzet Signet
Krark's Thumb
Mizzium Transreliquat
Sorcerer's Strongbox

Instant (16)
Blustersquall
Brainstorm
Cyclonic Rift
Desperate Gambit
Electrolyze
Firemind's Foresight
Gigadrowse
Increasing Vengeance
Inspiration
Izzet Charm
Long-Term Plans
Street Spasm
Think Twice
Twincast
Unstable Footing
Weapon Surge

Sorcery (14)
Blast of Genius
Cone of Flame
Epic Experiment
Fabricate
Fiery Gambit
Game of Chaos
Library of Lat-Nam
Molten Birth
Pull from the Deep
Shattering Spree
Sleep
Squee's Revenge
Stitch in Time
Whims of the Fates

Comments: Points for Izzet trash talk. Too many coin flips, though. No matter how many thumbs you have, I just can't get behind playing Sorcerer's Strongbox in a deck that can play any number of blue sorceries that do the same thing. There aren't many directions to go with the 50/50 strategy, which makes for bad precon design. The other half of your deck I really enjoy, though, as it's full of all the powerful, interactive effects that make Izzet the best.

Comments: This deck is original in every way. The logic for choosing the opposing guild is amazing, there are few staples, and the concept behind the deck itself is great. Not much more to say, the deck speaks for itself.

Comments: Surprisingly enough, this deck's chance game pays off more often than expected. Might have something to do with the general perhaps? Joking aside, the deck often does perform very well.

Comments: Playing against a deck that's based on coin flips and adding even more luck into a game like Magic can sometimes be annoying. This deck could also be potentially a turn-off to new players, especially those who don't understand the importance of Krark's thumb or Chance Encounter in the deck.

Use of Secret Ingredient: 5 out of 5
Comments: The deck has a flawless use of the ingredient. The deck is heavily based around the theme and all three generals impact it in major and awesome ways. If I could give a 6 out of five to one category of one deck, it would be this one.

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-25 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next