Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-19 9:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Guild Wars
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 3:07 pm 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
On the other hand, if judges are now answering questions posed by the chairman about their judging style, I would like to be able to resubmit my decklist to pander to what the judges want. I'd be pretty pissed if I was punished for sending in a decklist early because additional "soft" judging criteria were given after I'd done so.
This is exactly why I'm not answering these questions yet :)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 3:26 pm 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
I'm of two minds on the multiple entries thing. On the one hand, submitting a plethora of guild decks and hoping to get lucky seems like it creates a bunch more work for the judges for little benefit. Why not just submit the guild deck you think is best?

On the other hand, if judges are now answering questions posed by the chairman about their judging style, I would like to be able to resubmit my decklist to pander to what the judges want. I'd be pretty pissed if I was punished for sending in a decklist early because additional "soft" judging criteria were given after I'd done so.

That attitude is more point-costing than not pandering to us!

Also, just throwing it out there, but as the defending champion of the last round, I would say that my "judging criteria" statements are more of general advice.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-06 12:23 am 

Honestly, if I manage to finish building the decklist I've started, I'm not going to be looking at whatever judges put up on here (about their particular judging style and preferences, that is). It's definitely the wrong attitude to have if I want to potentially increase my chances for winning, except seeing as the prize is only bragging rights this potential deck is one I'll probably end up building and fine tuning anyway.

It's a nice challenge, and further encourages me to try building around a legend I've been struggling to find a place for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-09 7:38 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Tim Proctor wrote:
Mr. Chairman how do you feel about contestants entering more than one dish?

Good question. I have some fairly strong views on the subject, but lets get a day or two of community input ion the idea, then I'll answer.

My personal opinion is that each entrant should only enter 1 submission. This is because:

- Deckbuilding frenzy is not hampered with one submission, make a number of decks, playtest or goldfish them, tweak them, then submit your best. Go crazy.
- I'm not sure why people would want to submit anything less than what they feel is their best deck of multiple options.
- For those entrants that do not want to add multiples, it adds the feeling that people who are submitting more than one have a great chance at winning (Like Lazlo in Real Genius)
- Having judged the PureMTGO Custom card Contest at least a score of times, and helping manage it for the last 2-3 years it was running (hence why I volunteered to help organize on this project - and I would love to resurrect that one) I know how much work is in store for our volunteer judges. It seems unfair to ask them to suddenly add to their workload in the limited time they have to work. Each entrant undertakes the amount of work their time and inclination can afford, but each judge must spend time on every entry, score and provide feedback on each category for each deck. Judging is rewarding, but creating additional entries by allowing multiples could quickly make it a time sink the judges can't afford or will require a much longer judging period which would make the entrants wait for results.

That said, the way I intend to work with this and future challenges is that the last one received before the deadline is the one submitted. So if anyone wants to tweak, change or otherwise alter what has already been sent.... just let me know.

Thanks to Viperion for providing feedback on repercussions to the questions I hadn't though of. I tried to make them as "Battle Neutral" as I could, but next time I'll probably leave those questions for after the submission deadline. Just wanted to try bringing more elements of Iron Chef into the contest with a little Judge Q&A.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-09 10:13 am 

Also, a reminder that less than 2 days remain for entries to be submitted. End of Sunday, 10 Aug, is the cutoff. I'll do my best to have the entries posted on Monday for the judges (should not be a problem unless there is a deluge of last minute submissions).

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-09 11:04 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Also, a reminder that less than 2 days remain for entries to be submitted. End of Sunday, 10 Aug, is the cutoff. I'll do my best to have the entries posted on Monday for the judges (should not be a problem unless there is a deluge of last minute submissions).

Make that a toxic deluge. :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 7:27 am 

I have sent my entry, but it still says its in my outbox, I don't want to miss the deadline in a few hours :cry:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 7:31 am 

It'll stay there until Treamayne is on next and then it'll get delivered. Don't worry about it :)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 7:47 am 

Oh, huh, apparently I misunderstood what the challenge was supposed to be. I'll have to withdraw my entry, then. :(

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 8:52 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Oh, huh, apparently I misunderstood what the challenge was supposed to be. I'll have to withdraw my entry, then. :(

: ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 9:47 am 

maiden77 wrote:
I have sent my entry, but it still says its in my outbox, I don't want to miss the deadline in a few hours

Received and you should have already received a response from me.

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Oh, huh, apparently I misunderstood what the challenge was supposed to be. I'll have to withdraw my entry, then.

Your fine - all set up now.

If anyone is seeing delays in the PM process, my email is treamayne@yahoo.com.

Submissions are now closed.

All entries are in, and I have complete the QC on conforming to the challenge required rarity counts and verified no reserve list cards are used. I'm putting a placeholder (teaser) for entries now, and will post all entries this evening. Once the entries are posted feel free to start your discussions, speculations and other fun chatter while awaiting the Judges results.

Maybe the judges will answer some more Q&A if they have time.

*Note: All decks edited to standardize formatting (increase Anonymity). Narratives may have slight editing for clarity and/or anonymity

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-11 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 11:44 pm 

Golgari vs Boros

Ludmilla meets with Vraska and finds their goals coincide. Vraska doesn't want to be involved in guild politics so Ludmilla will do that in her stead. Together they find other gorgons to help in their task, and they train their assassins and minions. After a short internal struggle Ludmilla rises in power again. She's not guild leader, but she can focus the attention of her part of the Golgari on the lawabiding Boros. She will not kill them all, just the ones once close to Feather. Revenge will be sweet indeed, no matter who she must go through to get it.

Ludmilla, the last of the Sisters of Stone Death, has been banished to the undercity by Feather. Having been the Golgari guild leader before, she plots her return. Ludmilla gathers minions from the undercity to kill her opponents. Other beings capable of killing by touch, gaze and poison are drawn to her army. The Golgari have always known what hunting and assassination means and Ludmilla plans to exploit that knowledge.

Mechanical description

This deck is built with the abilities and creature type of Sisters of Stone Death in mind. Most creatures are capable of killing any creature with their deathtouch (or similar) ability. Enhanced with trample the Sisters are capable of doing 21 commander damage by exiling all possible blockers. In general, Trample and deathtouch are always a nice combination allowing you to not only kill creatures but also the planeswalkers (players) summoning the opposing creatures.

I tried to keep the amount of staples to a minimum, but with a commander of 8 mana, ramp is necessary.

General: Sisters of Stone Death

Land (39)
Forest x 14
Swamp x 13

Arena
Bojuka Bog
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Golgari Guildgate
Golgari Rot Farm
Rogue's Passage
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
Tainted Wood
Tectonic Edge
Terramorphic Expanse
Treetop Village[/quote]

Creatures (29)
Acidic Slime
Brawn
Deadly Recluse
Deathrite Shaman
Grave Titan
Harvester of Souls
Hornet Queen
Hythonia the Cruel
Infernal Medusa
Keepsake Gorgon
Kessig Recluse
Liliana's Reaver
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Nirkana Cutthroat
Ogre Slumlord
Ohran Viper
Pharika's Mender
Reaper of the Wilds
Sluiceway Scorpion
Stinkweed Imp
Turntimber Basilisk
Ulvenwald Tracker
Vampire Nighthawk
Vengeful Pharaoh
Visara the Dreadful
Wasteland Viper
Xathrid Gorgon
Xathrid Slyblade
Yavimaya Elder

Enchantment (5)
Deadbridge Chant
Grave Betrayal
Rancor
Spidersilk Armor
Underworld Connections

Planeswalker (2)
Garruk, Apex Predator
Vraska the Unseen

Artifact (8)
Chariot of Victory
Darksteel Ingot
Golgari Cluestone
Golgari Keyrune
Golgari Signet
Power Matrix
Sol Ring
Sword of Vengeance

Instant (7)
Back to Nature
Berserk
Consume Strength
Golgari Charm
Putrefy
Sylvan Might
Tragic Slip

Sorcery (9)
Cultivate
Disturbed Burial
Enlarge
Gaze of Granite
Hunter's Prowess
Kodama's Reach
Life // Death
Overrun
Vigor Mortis

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-11 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Boros vs Golgari

For performing unspeakable acts on the honored dead, The Boros Legion marches upon the Golgari scum. Necromancers are blight upon the planet, and stand against all things holy and just. They must be pacified, maybe even eradicated. For the good of Ravnica!
--Agrus Kos

Hi there. I chose Boros for my duel deck as Boros was my first ever deck so it holds a special place for me.

I have gone with the legions type boros deck, full of Roman style soldiers, with a sprinkling of combat tricks and spells specific to the Boros theme of law, order and piety to the gods in their own specific way. I wanted the deck to be able to play out in a variety of ways. Hence the inclusion of some equipment and instants and sorceries that can target and increase the power of the legions of Boros.

Each creature picked is specifically chosen to be a human soldier, or a boros soldier specifically (like skyknight legionnaire for example). I excluded cats and kor creatures, keeping to theme of human and goblin soldiers as set precedants in both Ravnica blocks.

I specifically chose artwork with Roman-esque artwork, classic soldiers, shield and sword type art, to keep the theme of the deck strong and flavourful. I wanted the legion to look like a legion when in play, rather than a rag tag bunch of powerful cards that are synergistic but don't visually match on the battlefield. This led to the decision to include cards that could create solider tokens, and boost soldiers, further strengthening the legion vast.

Angels are included again, as a nod to the classic Boros legion, angels supporting in the air and leading the fray from on high. The Angels included are also very thematically Boros, with an element of lifegain in the background, and being combat orientated in each case of inclusion.

I picked Agrus Kos as general to be more in keeping with the legions theme deck I have chosen, but like all other Commander precons, he can easily be swapped with Tajic or Aurelia and the deck will still play as I intend, to be mainly combat based, and more creatures attacking than the opponent as often as possible.

I hope you enjoy the deck, I have also linked it to Tappedout, this will give you a chance to see it slightly differently than on here, if you so choose. It can also be playtested on the site and goldfished for a good feel for the deck.

I have chosen each card carefully to keep with the spells associated with Boros and also the types of equipment and enchantments they would use.

This deck is definitively Boros because it is pure, clean and righteous. The soldiers and angels leading and fighting for the legion all walk the same path of glory, magic is carefully chosen to be pure and honorable. All three included generals are equally suited to lead the glorious battles against the non-believers and unjust. The deck leans more to the pure and great white colour, the just, the righteous, the Godly. Red summons the power required to serve justice and helps deal justice to those who deserve it.

General: Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran

Land (36)
Mountain x 9
Plains x 16

Boros Garrison
Boros Guildgate
Command Tower
Daru Encampment
Forbidding Watchtower
Forgotten Cave
Mistveil Plains
Opal Palace
Secluded Steppe
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Creatures (35)
Akrasan Squire
Akroan Conscriptor
Akroan Crusader
Akroan Hoplite
Akroan Line Breaker
Akroan Phalanx
Archetype of Courage
Attended Knight
Aurelia, the Warleader
Balefire Liege
Boros Elite
Boros Guildmage
Boros Recruit
Boros Swiftblade
Captain of the Watch
Catapult Master
Dawnbringer Charioteers
Enlistment Officer
Field Marshal
Firemane Angel
Firemane Avenger
God-Favored General
Hero of Bladehold
Intrepid Hero
Odric, Master Tactician
Phalanx Leader
Seasoned Marshal
Skyknight Legionnaire
Sunhome Enforcer
Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Tethmos High Priest
Veteran Armorer
Veteran Armorsmith
Veteran Swordsmith
Wojek Halberdiers

Enchantment (4)
Assemble the Legion
Glory of Warfare
Marshal's Anthem
Mobilization

Planeswalker (1)
Elspeth Tirel

Artifact (3)
Chariot of Victory
Sunforger
Sword of the Paruns

Instant (14)
Bathe in Light
Boros Charm
Brute Force
Chastise
Disenchant
Double Cleave
Lightning Helix
Master Warcraft
Phalanx Formation
Raise the Alarm
Rally the Righteous
Return to Dust
Warleader's Helix
Wear // Tear

Sorcery (6)
Brightflame
Captain's Call
Decree of Justice
Desperate Stand
Marshaling Cry
Martial Coup

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-11 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Azorius vs Rakdos

“Greetings, citizens! The Azorius guild, led by its illustrious parun Isperia, is responsible for bringing law and order to Ravnica. With the Azorius Lawbringers deck, you’ll be in charge of a formidable bureaucratic apparatus. You’ll use a remarkable suite of flying creatures to punish the lawbreakers while your powerful control spells keep your opponents from causing any mischief. First, we will take the fight to the biggest mischief makers on Ravnica - the Rakdos.”

I had two goals when building this deck: make a deck that captures the feel of Azorius as policemen, bureaucrats, and overseers, and make a deck that feels sufficiently like a preconstructed deck that players would want to buy. To address the latter goal, I deliberately gave the deck two themes (both of which fit the Azorius): tempo flyers and UW Control. While splitting the deck like this will likely cause me to take a hit in the power level department, I feel like it plays into the challenge’s injunction to “make a precon”. Precons historically have not been very powerful and have been designed as entry points for newer players. As part of that, they typically present several different themes to help make the task of deck building and customization easier for people with less experience; players can choose the subtheme they like, swap cards around to support that, and end up with a much better deck than they had before – all without needing a mastery of deckbuilding fundamentals. Thus, in order to capture that feeling, I deliberately toned down the deck’s power level and included weaker cards in each theme to allow players to both streamline (choosing one or the other theme to support) and to power up (replacing weak cards like Shackles with better spells from their collections). Luckily, the two themes chosen here complement each other since the control spells buy time for the flying creatures to chip away at your opponents, and there’s considerable overlap between the two decks (Prognostic Sphinx, for example). Players can choose to double down on the control deck by removing some of the smaller tempo creatures and adding more Wraths, card drawing, and big finishers, or they can follow the tempo build by removing some of the weaker control spells in favor of mid-sized evasion creatures, more ways to blink creatures for value, and more countermagic. To further solidify this, each of these subthemes has its own legendary creature included in the deck: Lavinia will help as a tempo beast while Ith can passively beat down and still provide good defense.

However, the challenge was not simply to make a precon, but to make a precon that captures the fundamentals of a guild. When I think of the Azorius, I think of dispassionate do-gooders who fundamentally just want to make the world a better place and understand that the way to do that is to develop a process and stick to it. Granted, over the (many) years since the guild’s founding the process has become an end rather than a means, but for all their potential to oppress and stifle the Azorius are not, in their hearts, bad guys. They just wish people would behave themselves more. The key here, though, is regulation: laws, codes, processes, and paperwork all exist to make sure that only the things you want to happen, can happen.

However, giving players a dedicated WU Control deck out of the box would probably be too fun-wrecking, so I gave the deck another subtheme to temper the desire to make nothing happen. The targeted and mass removal spells allow the Azorius Lawbringers player to dictate the pace of the game by keeping unruly creatures in line, but there aren’t enough of them to consistently shut down the board; thus, your opponents can have your fun things as long as they use them responsibly. The tempo aspect of the deck allows it to go on the warpath without having to give up its ability to regulate broken things or needing to pull the trigger on a Wrath that ends up eating a ton of its own creatures. The size of the flying creatures (including Isperia) means you can kill opponents quite rapidly once you start attacking them, giving players the tools they need to bring the game to a swift close once they get a handle on it.

There were a few other thematic decisions worth mentioning. With few exceptions, I tried to avoid using creature types or cards that mentioned entities that don’t fit in the Azorius, and focus on once that do; hence, the heavy use of Sphinxes and near-absence of Angels, since the latter are Boros’s and Orzhov’s thing. Non-Ravnican creatures like the Soratami are mostly excluded, as good as something like Meloku or Uyo would be here. Rare reprints were also chosen based partly on excitement factor and partly on Constructed playability: Vedalken Shackles, for example, makes sense on multiple levels since it’s a control spell, mentions Vedalken (who are at home in the Azorius, see Fall of the Gavel among others), and sees some Constructed play without being something like True-Name Nemesis that would cause players to snap the decks off the shelves for non-EDH reasons.

General: Isperia, Supreme Judge

Land (38)
Plains x 14
Island x 12

Azorius Chancery
Azorius Guildgate
Calciform Pools
Command Tower
Drifting Meadow
Hallowed Fountain
Lonely Sandbar
Prahv, Spires of Order
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Secluded Steppe
Sejiri Refuge

Creatures (31)
AEther Adept
Archon of the Triumvirate
Auramancer
Azorius Arrester
Azorius Guildmage
Azorius Justiciar
Court Hussar
Dauntless River Marshal
Deputy of Acquittals
Flickerwisp
Grand Abolisher
Horizon Scholar
Isperia's Skywatch
Ith, High Arcanist
Jelenn Sphinx
Lavinia of the Tenth
Mistmeadow Witch
Mulldrifter
Nevermaker
New Prahv Guildmage
Ornitharch
Prognostic Sphinx
Reveillark
Silkbind Faerie
Sky Hussar
Skymark Roc
Solemn Simulacrum
Tower Geist
Vedalken Dismisser
Wall of Denial
Wall of Omens

Enchantment (9)
Act of Authority
Detainment Spell
Detention Sphere
Ghostly Prison
Journey to Nowhere
Martial Law
Plumes of Peace
Shackles
Sphere of Safety

Planeswalker (2)
Jace, Architect of Thought
Venser, the Sojourner

Artifact (5)
Armillary Sphere
Azorius Keyrune
Azorius Signet
Sol Ring
Vedalken Shackles

Instant (9)
Absorb
Azorius Charm
Counterspell
Dismantling Blow
Feeling of Dread
Hinder
Momentary Blink
Sphinx's Revelation
Statute of Denial

Sorcery (5)
Austere Command
Council's Judgment
Day of Judgment
Decree of Justice
Supreme Verdict

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-11 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-10 11:45 pm 

Izzet vs Izzet

The greatest battle of arcana ever seen on Ravnica spills forth through tin street, the guildpact has been killed by Vraska and total war is erupting. The old rules are no longer kept in abidance.

Melekchampion of Izzet and follower of the Dracogenius allied with Ral Zarek have established an army of elementals, weirds, and wizards. They stand united against a very unexpected foe.

With the destruction of Ravnica and total war errupting many forces have banded together against all planeswalkers. The two of the greatest wizards in Ravnica lead the charge against the interference of planeswalkers. Tibor and Lumia have fielded an army, and with spells at the ready, they step forward to eliminate any threat in Izzet vs. Izzet.

In Izzet vs. Izzet the greatest wizards have prepared themselves for fighting, this build is for the anti-planeswalker side and follows the clunky Izzet mechanics that somehow just seem to work.

Tibor and Lumia take great advantage from cards like Archetype of Imagination, or Wonder. Not to mention Charisma or anything that gives them deathtouch. With the Archetype in play it allows for them to wipe the board on command with any spell.

Another good thing that they have are with the Viashino who are cast, trigger the minor earthquake, enter the battlefield and can swing and get returned to hand so that it can happen the next turn. The red trigger isn't the only trigger that they have, the blue trigger is interesting with Floodgate.

There is enough recursion in the deck that it should run out of steam, flashback, retrace, etc. are all mechanics that should help it keep going and always have something to do... hope you enjoy.

BTW, Sol Ring is in here cause all precons have to have them, it's a tradition.

General: Tibor and Lumia

Land (39)
Island x 13
Mountain x 12

Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Grixis Panorama
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Lonely Sandbar
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Smoldering Crater
Soaring Seacliff
Terramorphic Expanse
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek

Creatures (24)
Archetype of Imagination
Ashen Firebeast
Charmbreaker Devils
Deep-Slumber Titan
Fire Ants
Floodgate
Frostwind Invoker
Grinning Ignus
Hammerfist Giant
Hunted Phantasm
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
Nucklavee
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Shard Phoenix
Shivan Phoenix
Stormtide Leviathan
Thunder Dragon
Vedalken AEthermage
Viashino Cutthroat
Viashino Sandscout
Viashino Sandstalker
Voidmage Husher
Wonder

Enchantment (5)
Charisma
Dizzying Gaze
Flood
Gravitational Shift
Tidal Flats

Artifact (8)
Basilisk Collar
Gorgon Flail
Gorgon's Head
Izzet Signet
Mizzium Transreliquat
Skyshaper
Sol Ring
Sword of Kaldra

Sorcery (11)
Breath of Darigaaz
Call the Skybreaker
Deep Analysis
Earthquake
Flame Jab
Molten Birth
Molten Disaster
Mystic Retrieval
Rekindled Flame
Rough // Tumble
Volcanic Spray

Instant (12)
Blue Sun's Zenith
Capsize
Death Spark
Deluge
Fault Line
Inflame
Jilt
Magmaquake
Punishing Fire
Release the Ants
Rock Slide
Shattering Pulse

HK

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-11 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next