Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-23 8:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Round 2
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-25 6:08 am 

JJackson wrote:
I found another rarity corner case. Arena's only printings are as a promo and as a timeshifted card. Treat as rare? Mythic? Common?

Likewise, for Mana Crypt.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-25 1:30 pm 

wtt1913 wrote:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is Sol Ring considered a mythic or uncommon? In the majority of sets that it was printed it's an uncommon, but in vintage masters for MTGO it's at mythic. Since in almost all of its print runs in paper magic it has been an uncommon, will it count as such?

It's been uncommon in all of the actual Commander precons so I see no reason to treat it any differently for this challenge. I'm including one in my list as an uncommon.

EDIT: I would want to call Crypt as mythic if only because that card seems pretty antithetical to the concept of a fun, mid- to low-powered entry point into the format.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-26 5:10 am 

JJackson wrote:
I found another rarity corner case. Arena's only printings are as a promo and as a timeshifted card. Treat as rare? Mythic? Common?

Timeshifted should be ignored like FTV - it's another example of "all one rarity" blanket changes (Prodigal Sorcerer wouldn't be rare or mythic just because it is timeshifted). That said, the Book/Con Promos seem to be thus:
Mana Crypt - Promo (Rare), Master's Edition - Rare, Vintage Masters - Mythic. Mythic it is.
Nalathni Dragon - Promo (Rare)
Sewers of Estark - Promo (Rare)
Arena - Promo (Rare)
Windseeker Centaur - Promo (Rare)
Giant Badger - 8ED - Common

Aggro_zombies wrote:
wtt1913 wrote:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is Sol Ring considered a mythic or uncommon? In the majority of sets that it was printed it's an uncommon, but in vintage masters for MTGO it's at mythic. Since in almost all of its print runs in paper magic it has been an uncommon, will it count as such?

It's been uncommon in all of the actual Commander precons so I see no reason to treat it any differently for this challenge. I'm including one in my list as an uncommon.

EDIT: I would want to call Crypt as mythic if only because that card seems pretty antithetical to the concept of a fun, mid- to low-powered entry point into the format.

Concur. While I considered Vintage Masters when looking at rarities, I missed Sol Ring as being an odd jump in rarity (due to Drafting, if I read the article right) and with the precedent that Sol Ring has been in every EDH Pre-Con so far at uncommon...So Uncommon it is.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-26 10:01 pm 

Do we have to obey the dreaded Reserve List, as making a deck with Reserve list cards would not make it legal for reprint?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-27 7:49 pm 

Ukkmaster wrote:
Do we have to obey the dreaded Reserve List, as making a deck with Reserve list cards would not make it legal for reprint?

Yes, the reserved list is a factor. I apologize for not adding that to the main post originally.

HK

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-29 5:30 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Ukkmaster wrote:

Yes, the reserved list is a factor. I apologize for not adding that to the main post originally.

wow my artifact deck is ruined now that i cant play metalworker nor tolarian academy stupid reserve list

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-01 6:57 am 

We still have room for one more judge if anyone wants to volunteer for the post.

HK

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-04 12:48 am 

I'll try to make a deck and write a submission in my best English. Is it possible to edit blatant errors in my deck description? Otherwise everyone will see it's a deck sent in by a non-native speaker.

For everyone not familiar with the reserved list here's a link:
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/products/reprintpolicy

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Guild Wars
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 9:53 am 

In true Kevin Brauch style, I would like to introduce the Judges for this Battle.

Viperion

Ban Ki-moon

Uktabi_Kong

I would like to invite the judges to take a moment and choose one or two of the following questions to answer for our contestants while we await the submission deadline.

What about the Iron Chef EDH Deckbuilding Challenge intrigues you most?

What aspect of Battle Guild Wars do you think will be most challenging for entrants? Most rewarding?

Choose one judging category and tell us what it means to you and how you rank that aspect.

What Guild do you think would be the final victor in a Ravnica Free-for-All?

What two-color Legend that was not from RAV or RTR do you think would most fit one the guilds and why?

HK

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 10:00 am 

Mr. Chairman how do you feel about contestants entering more than one dish?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 10:02 am 

I'll answer those questions closer to the deadline; I don't want the contestants altering their submissions based on what they think my preferences will be :)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 12:04 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
Mr. Chairman how do you feel about contestants entering more than one dish?

Good question. I have some fairly strong views on the subject, but lets get a day or two of community input ion the idea, then I'll answer.

(Not to mention I haven't had a day off from working midnights in two weeks and my next <knock on wood> day off will be Fri... When I can give this the time the discussion would deserve)

HK

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 1:15 pm 

I'm not sure if the Guild-Free-For-All question was referring to storyline or in-game, but since it has the least relevance to the actual competition, so I got no problem answering it now.

I would say storyline-wise Dimir would win, as they would most likely stay out of a lot of the actual fighting for a while, assassinating key figures or stealing/destroying valuable items in secret along the way, and then killing everyone else while they're weak. I could also see Simic or Izzet coming up with some kind of monster/machine that kicks everyone else's ass, but not as likely. I would say that the winner definitely would not be any of the guilds with white in their color except maybe Selesnya, if for no other reason than they would be the biggest targets.

Game-wise I would say the results are the same. Dimir and Simic definitely have the advantage in both card choices and how their colors interact with EDH, although Izzet combo could easily prove me wrong.
_________________________________________________________________________________
The other question I will answer is the one about the judging category. My central judging focus would be toward use of the secret ingredient. With the Gabriel deck I built (that ended up winning :mrgreen: ), I picked a theme that had several specific categories into which cards could fit, and a lot of the cards I picked happened to fit very well with more than one category. Everything else just blended into place after that.

However, I am not the only judge, and I will take off points if it's obvious you tried to tailor your deck to what I just said.

I do also have one small thing to say about each other category:

Originality: Each guild has roughly 20 cards that would automatically get points docked unless it is directly related to the secret ingredient.

Power: The decks will be facing off against each official precon, most of my decks (many on this forum if you want to look), and the others.

Elegance: This one is so broad and subjective that I really can't say anything about it other than I really prefer synergies.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 1:22 pm 

I'm of two minds on the multiple entries thing. On the one hand, submitting a plethora of guild decks and hoping to get lucky seems like it creates a bunch more work for the judges for little benefit. Why not just submit the guild deck you think is best?

On the other hand, if judges are now answering questions posed by the chairman about their judging style, I would like to be able to resubmit my decklist to pander to what the judges want. I'd be pretty pissed if I was punished for sending in a decklist early because additional "soft" judging criteria were given after I'd done so.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-05 2:00 pm 

Well my comment about multiple entries is more for people that get the deck-building bug, and I'm not meaning a plethora I think 2 or 3 is a reasonable maximum. Its a habit that I think while making one deck cause it's cool and is totally awesome doesn't detract from another deck that would be just as good, one of the reasons I have a lot of decks.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next