Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 3:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Round 2
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 8:35 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Wait, maybe I missed something, but does the general count towards its rarity level? That is, if I choose Szadeck, does he eat up one of my 22 rare slots? Or is he independent? This is relevant if the chosen general is a mythic...

Also, count me in.

Yes, the general counts - just as the Commander Precons average 5 mythics, three of which are legends that may be used as Generals

JJackson wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
Highest printed Rarity, not including FTV and other "all mythic" sets

What about cards promoted for Duel Decks? Lord of the Pit and Akroma, Angel of Wrath, spring to mind; I don't know if they did that for any other Duel Decks. This is particularly relevant because of Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, in Izzet vs. Golgari.

I looked at and made notes on all the cards in the FTV, Duel Decks, Premium Deck Series, Commander's Arsenal, etc.... I thought the rarity changes in the FTV "all-Mythic" were a more egregious problem (Kird Ape at mythic?) and the few cards like Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind that are relevant and changed probably would have been Mythic if they were printed after Alara anyway. I was more worried about some of the FTV cards that probably should be mythic, but that was their only printing at that rarity (Necropotence, Mirari, Captain Sisay, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmothet al)

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is the only General for this challenge that is affected, the other legends that are effected are (not including 3+ Color legends like Sliver Overlord):
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Kiki-jiki, Mirror Breaker
Vendalion Clique
Kokusho, the Evening Star and the other Kamigawa Dragons

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 10:33 am 

Treamayne wrote:
cards that probably should be mythic... Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
You know this is a regular Rare in M15, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 11:04 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
cards that probably should be mythic... Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
You know this is a regular Rare in M15, right?

I know, makes me wanna start running Kormus Bell in all my decks, that have a General that can take advantage of the situation. I was on MTGO the other day and a Karn artifact deck flashed in Kormus Bell inresponse to a decree of pain decking the player with the Tomb and Decree.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-23 4:08 pm 

So wait, we are given a theme and are being judged on how well we follow that theme? Is that like submitting a food to a cookie competition and being judged on how "cookie-like" your food is?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-23 4:11 pm 

MrCool wrote:
So wait, we are given a theme and are being judged on how well we follow that theme? Is that like submitting a food to a cookie competition and being judged on how "cookie-like" your food is?

More like Christmas Cookie.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-23 4:37 pm 

MrCool wrote:

I like my cookies white chocolate-chip, with a side of $100 bills ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-23 4:56 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
MrCool wrote:

But that's still a cookie. I guess I was thinking that the first round was like everyone has to cook something with ginger and this round is like everyone has to bake pies (from a list of pie types). Being judged on how well you use the ginger makes sense for the first round, but being judged on... how well you use the apples in your apple pie seems weird. It's like, "Wow, you can really taste the apple in this apple pie!" Well of course you should, that's the main ingredient that you have to use. I guess you ruin your pie with too much salt, but it still seems weird to me.

It's like we are being told to do one theme, and if we do a different theme, then there would still a theme for the deck but the wrong one. Like if I make a Razia, Boros Archangel angel deck, the deck would have a strong use of the general/theme, but it wouldn't be a Boros theme deck. Would that be an automatic 0 for theme since it's the wrong theme? What if it's sort of a Boros deck, but with lots of legendary creatures from other blocks? (I wouldn't say that Kamahl, Pit Fighter is in the Boros guild.) Would that be like baking an apple pie with both apples and raspberries?

I'm hungry now...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-23 11:45 pm 

MrCool wrote:
Like if I make a Razia, Boros Archangel angel deck, the deck would have a strong use of the general/theme, but it wouldn't be a Boros theme deck. Would that be an automatic 0 for theme since it's the wrong theme? What if it's sort of a Boros deck, but with lots of legendary creatures from other blocks? (I wouldn't say that Kamahl, Pit Fighter is in the Boros guild.) Would that be like baking an apple pie with both apples and raspberries?

All of this is going to be based on the judges' subjective opinions, but it seems to me that if you made an "Angels of the Legion" deck, choosing your angels based on how well they fit the Boros philosophy, you'd still be perfectly within theme. I assume that off-block legends are probably going to be judged based on how well they fit with the guild. Kamahl, for example, is probably better suited for Gruul than Boros. There is nothing wrong with an apple and raspberry pie as long as it still tastes good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-24 2:12 am 

Battle Christmas Cookie is about Christmas and Cookies, a regular cookie isn't very Christmasy while Christmas (itself) isn't cookie-ish, you combine the two and bamn you have a whole different issue.

Here it's a EDH Guild Precon challenge, so the way I interrupt (use of the theme) it is that the guild will be an aspect, the rarity counts will be an aspect, and the General being an aspect. I'm not judging but that is how I see a lot of it sorted out, and I don't see anyone getting a 0. I'd think if anything a small penalty or less of a reward for letting the sides of the theme get out of balance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-24 6:00 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
bamn

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-24 7:36 am 

MrCool wrote:
Tim Proctor wrote:
MrCool wrote:

But that's still a cookie. I guess I was thinking that the first round was like everyone has to cook something with ginger and this round is like everyone has to bake pies (from a list of pie types). Being judged on how well you use the ginger makes sense for the first round, but being judged on... how well you use the apples in your apple pie seems weird. It's like, "Wow, you can really taste the apple in this apple pie!" Well of course you should, that's the main ingredient that you have to use. I guess you ruin your pie with too much salt, but it still seems weird to me.

It's like we are being told to do one theme, and if we do a different theme, then there would still a theme for the deck but the wrong one. Like if I make a Razia, Boros Archangel angel deck, the deck would have a strong use of the general/theme, but it wouldn't be a Boros theme deck. Would that be an automatic 0 for theme since it's the wrong theme? What if it's sort of a Boros deck, but with lots of legendary creatures from other blocks? (I wouldn't say that Kamahl, Pit Fighter is in the Boros guild.) Would that be like baking an apple pie with both apples and raspberries?

Mr Cool,

If you did not see it, it may make ,more sense after you read my posts here.

That said, the elements of the challenge (in essence) are building in a constraint (rarity counts - power derived from interaction more than money spent on the deck). And interpretation of the theme. Just as in the last competition, Chefs had to sell their theme as why it fit the Secret Ingredient, here you have to sell why your (to continue an example) Razia deck represents Borors to you. If you believe you are representing Boros - and your narrative shows that - then the judges will believe you are representing Boros.

Now if you are purposefully going in a random direction and jusy hope to try to cover it with a guild (e.g. Here's 75 Poison cards, loosley hidden under Jared and Golgari - please ignore the fact that Golgari have nothing to do with poison counters. ) then yes, the deck will likely be penalized in the theme section of scoring.

Otherwise, the contest was designed to be as broad as possible since I am hoping to alternate broader concepts with narrower ideas to keep things fresh and interesting. And you can always volunteer to judge if you want.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-24 4:51 pm 

You got a mention on Bennie Smith's latest SCG Article Treamayne :mrgreen:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-24 11:54 pm 

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is Sol Ring considered a mythic or uncommon? In the majority of sets that it was printed it's an uncommon, but in vintage masters for MTGO it's at mythic. Since in almost all of its print runs in paper magic it has been an uncommon, will it count as such?

Last edited by wtt1913 on 2014-Jul-25 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-25 1:43 am 

I would say that Vintage Masters and MTGO would be separate as we aren't using that card pool either. But its a good question nontheless. Looking above, I would use its worst case rarity on paper as the rarity, like Tim suggested with Niv-Mizzet above (due to the Duel Deck printing)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-25 5:17 am 

I found another rarity corner case. Arena's only printings are as a promo and as a timeshifted card. Treat as rare? Mythic? Common?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next