Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-19 1:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Guild Wars
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-27 10:01 am 

From Simic vs Rakdos to BKM
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Unfortunately, I have played a Kraj deck, and as much as it hurts me to say, you got a 1 in elegance from me as soon as you chose it. The kid buying this precon had better purchase a bucket of dice at the same time, or he's going to have an awkward time.

I interpret a score of 1 as being almost as bad as possible when it comes to a category. I don't think that because the deck uses +1/+1 counters that it is almost as unelegant as possible. I have a few reasons for why I should get a 2 instead.

1. Maybe you are projecting the elegance of your Kraj deck onto this deck. I think this could be a possibility because there are not that many cards in this deck that have or give +1/+1 counters. There are 20 cards (excluding the general) that use counters, so only around one fifth of the cards drawn will run into this elegance issue. Since the general also uses counters, and you will always have access to it, counters will show up, but I do not think that "a bucket of dice" is necessary.

2. I think you are assuming the worst case scenario which is there is no way of representing the counters. In practice, I think that there should almost always be an easy way of representing the counters. All that would need to happen would be for you or any of your opponents to have an extra deck on them, so that face down cards could be used as counters.

3. Counters are only one aspect of the deck which influence elegance. I think this deck touches on some other things that might cancel out some of the negativity of the counters.
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
To me, elegance is a combination of a lot of things. It's the aesthetics and personality of the sum of your cards, how harmoniously they work together, how enjoyable it is to use the deck both intellectually and physically, as well as the price it took to put together. Ultimately, all those work together to affect the most important part, which is how fun it is to play against.

By giving a score of 1, I am interpreting you saying that this deck would be really unfun to play against, simply because of the +1/+1 counters. I can see how dealing with counters could detract from the fun of playing, but I can't see it making the fun be any more than below average (score of 2).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-27 5:41 pm 

I think with these decks being duel decks the elegance is also important to the player of the deck, not just the opponent, and counters, especially complicated decks and board states, would be a horrible thing for a newbie to grasp. And these duel decks are aimed at such new players IMO. Maybe this is why the elegance is voted down? Just my two cents on the matter. I personally like +1/+1 counters, Masked Thespian on here has a cool Selesnya deck that manipulates counters and it was hella fun to play against and would be to play. My Planeswalker deck however, is time consuming and not that elegant, its slightly different from your normal 5 colour PW deck and makes use of creatures with graft and counter manipulation, so I think its slightly more original, maybe. But its definitely not elegant in any way really.

Hope this helps slightly (i know this has nothing to do with me, just trying to spread some light on the subject)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 8:49 am 

Congratulations to:

Reighndragon
mattfox12
Masked Thespian

Since I was not able to receive Viperion's comments in time, I have asked that he answer questions about his scoring in this thread over the next couple weeks. I hope everyone enjoyed the contest and welcome any additional feedback on how to improve in the future.

Your next Secret Ingredient Battle will commence on 1 Sep.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 8:52 am 

Damn you MrCool stop tying with me! :D

Congrats to everyone, I think I would enjoy playing with/against most of the decks.

Even though it's after the deadline if Viperion can post comments I would love to read them.

Prizes:

Image - mattfox

Image - Masked Thespian

Last edited by Tim Proctor on 2015-Apr-21 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 9:59 am 

Yeah sorry guys about the lack of comments. RL is and has been a bit... intrusive. I will try and post some comments in the next few days.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 11:17 am 

Sweet round. Had a ton of fun judging all the decks.

Next time I'm back in. See if I can hold my undefeated streak.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 2:20 pm 

Good showing, everyone :D

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 7:21 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
Damn you MrCool stop tying with me! :D

Congrats to everyone, I think I would enjoy playing with/against most of the decks.

Even though it's after the deadline if Viperion can post comments I would love to read them.

It was my plan all along. 8)

Also, is anyone up for playing their decks against each other in the game thread?

edit: I forgot to include non-basics.... :S

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-30 8:19 pm 

Thanks to all the entrants and judges. My apologies to those I had to back and forth with a few times because of the more-rigorous-than-intended guidelines (and the questions I failed to consider when making the initial post).

Feedback welcomed on format, method of posting decks and judges comments, method of revealing the decks (including my pet excel, to make sure I don't bungle the math) or any other BGCs you all may have.

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-31 10:12 am 

Thanks for running this Treamayne. I wish I had done a little better, but that's what I get for waiting until the very last minute while on vacation to turn out a sub-par narrative.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8