Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Nov-19 5:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Battle Guild Wars
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-21 9:31 pm 

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition
Round Two

BLUF:
Judge Volunteer PMs:.............4 Aug - Completed
Submission PM deadline:........10 Aug 23:59 EDT (11 Aug 04:00 GMT) - Completed
Decks Posted for judging:.......11 Aug - Completed
Final Score tally and Reveal:...30 Aug

Welcome Contestants, Judges, and Visitors to what should be one the of the most awesome Commander/EDH experiences ever (only to actually playing the game?). Inspired by the TV show Iron Chef and a spin on it from Dungeons and Dragons the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge – EDH edition is designed to elicit fun, freedom from boredom, expansion of EDH powers, and online friends (don’t call me if stuck on the side of the road).

Judging will comprise of an evaluation of each deck based on four factors, Originality, Power, Elegance, and Usage of the Theme. The maximum score for a factor is 5 and the minimum factor 0, a 0 would be the equivalent to a Refusal to Judge (someone submitted buffalo wings to a risotto contest).

Originality – This category revolves around the usage of cards on decklists/guides online, expected by the judges, used by other contestants, new and interesting combinations of cards, thematics not normally used, etc. This is highly up to the Judge’s ‘opinion’, just like that of players at a local game store or kitchen table.

Power – This category revolves around the ability to win the game, through attrition, sheer beats, combo, alternative win cons, etc. The ability to stop aggro, control, combo, attrition, etc. style decks. The ability to curve out when needed, and to cast its spells. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Elegance – This category revolves around the prices of cards used, rules manipulations (i.e. stack shenanigans) that confuse or hinder new players, using cards that represent an oppressive or unfavorable game-state, etc. This is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

Use of the Secret Ingredient/Theme – This category revolves around building a deck around the theme, using a General for more than its color identity, running with the theme from a storyline segment, as well as running with the theme from a mechanics segment. Guess what, this is also highly up to the Judge’s opinion.

The Challenge revolves around an unlimited number (we’ll see but 25 seems to be the max) of contestants and 3 to 5 judges, in a simulation that the contestants build a deck revolving around a secret ingredient and the contestants are designing the deck to be the most original, powerful, elegant, and thematic as possible. In short to build a deck that (almost) everyone would say… nice deck!

Entries will comprise of summary of what the deck does, how it synergizes with concepts and themes, the combos, the power, the play style, etc. Please keep it to 1,500 words or less, while there is no minimum please note that if you don’t tell the Judges what your deck does they may not be able to magically figure it out (pun intended). Followed by a decklist comprised of 99-EDH legal cards separated by card super-type (don’t worry about legendary). Each section Summary and Decklist will be covered in Spoiler tags clearly identified with Summary and Decklist. Entries will be submitted via PM to the Chairman (poster of this post) who will reveal them at the end of the submission timeline to the Judges.

The Chairman will receive entrants (via PM) and post their entries (removing their name) upon the scheduled time, and the Judges will give their scorings once they have completed all of the scores. Everyone is encouraged to refrain from speculations, clues, guiding during the cooking period (before the reveal). After the reveal, feel free to post as much as you want.

Judges will have until the completion time to post their scores, if an entrant disagrees with a Judge’s ruling they have the right to dispute (PM the chairman identifying their deck) and respond to the scorings. Please note that opinion is highly a matter of an opinion and a mechanic is a fact of the game, while it’s okay to correct a judge (nicely) about a mechanical discrepancy it isn’t okay to call them a retard because you disagree with them. Since this is anonymous, people shouldn’t take it personally and it should be reflective of the game style differences.

After completion time, the Chairman will reveal the final scores and the builders, awarding a golden card (an image of the card changed via GIMP or Photoshop to be flaunted in the signature) to the 1st place winner, a silver card to the 2nd place winner, and a bronze card to the 3rd place winner.

Chefs, the theme of this challenge is:

GUILD WARS

All Pre-Con EDH decks so far have been 3 color. The theme for this challenge is to brew decks based on the Guilds of Ravnica as if they were to be a new round of decks, paired as Dual Decks for EDH (like Izzet vs Golgari). To this end, Chefs will chose a Guild to represent and a Rav Legend for that guild (from RAV or RTR Block as shown in the picture). To represent the Pre-con side of the challenge, chefs are limited the way Pre-cons are limited:

No more than:*
5 Mythic Rares
20 Rares
30 Uncommons
Must have at least 25 Basic Land
Reserved list is a factor

*Note: Rarity can be exchanged downward. For example, 3 Mythics and 22 Rares would be acceptable. FTV and other "all cards of a single rarity" (like Timeshifted) sets and specials are excluded, but otherwise the highest printed rarity prevails. Exception is Sol Ring from Vintage Masters was Mythic due to drafting concerns, and remains uncommon for this challenge since that is how it was printed in all Pre-con Commander decks.

Don't forget to tell us in your narrative why your deck is representative of your guild.

Prizes will be a Gold, Silver or Bronze image of your chosen General!

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2014-Aug-29 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Iron Chef: EDH Edition - Round 2
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-21 9:57 pm 

awesome! Totally entering this one, especially with such a huge choice of generals and colour combinations to pick from!! :-) WOOHOO!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-21 11:06 pm 

For clarification, Chefs are brewing a single deck for the purposes of this competition and not a pair of decks, correct?

Although, honestly, if two Chefs had to pair up so each makes a Precon Deck based on the Ravnican guilds, AND had to balance monetary cost, power levels, rarity, etc. between the two decks while also presenting a convincing argument why those two guilds should be paired...THAT would be a challenge. :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-21 11:10 pm 

Segrus wrote:
For clarification, Chefs are brewing a single deck for the purposes of this competition and not a pair of decks, correct?

Although, honestly, if two Chefs had to pair up so each makes a Precon Deck based on the Ravnican guilds, AND had to balance monetary cost, power levels, rarity, etc. between the two decks while also presenting a convincing argument why those two guilds should be paired...THAT would be a challenge. :wink:

ssshhhhhh they might change the challenge to a more challenging challenge!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 12:02 am 

maiden77 wrote:
Segrus wrote:

I see your challenge, and raise you double. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 12:04 am 

Segrus wrote:
maiden77 wrote:
Segrus wrote:

I see your challenge, and raise you double. :D

TIME STOP

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 12:49 am 

I'm in like Flinn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 3:43 am 

Ooh boy.... I've wanted to do something like this for a while....

EDIT:
Does the general count toward the rare/mythic count?

Treamayne wrote:
Deck DR Kong

1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

3rd Place in the Zedruu Iron Chef EDH Competition

Last edited by Uktabi_Kong on 2014-Jul-22 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 4:04 am 

Two decklists, different guilds ea, correct?

Bobo 2. vs. Aurelia

Smash Everything vs. Smash Most the Things

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 4:15 am 

Sorry, another clarification: what about cards with multiple rarities? For instance, Kokusho has been printed at Rare in Kamigawa, but Mythic Rare in Modern Masters. Are we going with the latest printed rarity?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 4:30 am 

Segrus wrote:

I believe you are correct (see below, emphasis mine) but the honorable chairman should answer that.

Quote:
Chefs will chose a Guild to represent and a Rav Legend for that guild (from RAV or RTR Block as shown in the picture).

Segrus wrote:
Sorry, another clarification: what about cards with multiple rarities? For instance, Kokusho has been printed at Rare in Kamigawa, but Mythic Rare in Modern Masters. Are we going with the latest printed rarity?

Yes, IMO it should be the latest but again the Chairman will have to weigh in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 4:48 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
Segrus wrote:

I believe you are correct (see below, emphasis mine) but the honorable chairman should answer that.

Quote:
Chefs will chose a Guild to represent and a Rav Legend for that guild (from RAV or RTR Block as shown in the picture).

I felt only making a single deck seemed intuitive, due to the nature of the competition; however...
Joz wrote:
Two decklists, different guilds ea, correct?

Either Joz is confused or screwing with me/someone, and I'm not going to place a bet either way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 6:27 am 

First, my apologies to all. I planned to post this Monday night, but got called in to work a midnight shift. I had planned to address these issues, but since I posted this morning at hour 19 I was probably too tired and forgot.

Segrus wrote:

One deck, in a notional Pairing - explained in your narrative.

If I were entering, my narrative might begin something like this:
Citizens! I, Supreme Judge Isperia call the Azorius to battle. We will finally bring to heel the lawlessness and abandon of Clan Rakdos. They will not continue to flaunt the laws of the realm and harm our great society. Rakdos, I am coming for you.

<Something about how the deck functions and why it represents Azorius Guild>

<Azorius Decklist>

*Note: First person not required - that's just how I roll.

So tell us about your deck and mention what guild they would be warring with and why.

Segrus wrote:

Highest printed Rarity, not including FTV and other "all mythic" sets

Mythic in this competition:
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Rare in CHK, Mythic in FTV:L and Modern Masters
Mirari's Wake, Rare in Jud and Commander's Arsenal, Mythic in Conspiracy

Rare in this competition:
Ink-eyes, Servant of Oni is Rare in BOK and Planechase 12, , Mythic in FTV:20
Berserk Uncommon in ABU, Rare in Master's Edition and Vintage Masters, Mythic in FTV: E

Uncommon in this competition:
Fact or Fiction, Mythic in FTV: 20, Uncommon in all other sets - Uncommon
Sensei's Divining Top, Mythic in FTV:E, Uncommon in CHK
[/card]

I'll be doing the rarity check before decks are posted for judging, so if there is a desicrepancy Chefs have time to make any changes before judging (and judges don't have to slog through 1000+ cards checking rarity). So please PM me if you need further clarification.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 6:32 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Highest printed Rarity, not including FTV and other "all mythic" sets

What about cards promoted for Duel Decks? Lord of the Pit and Akroma, Angel of Wrath, spring to mind; I don't know if they did that for any other Duel Decks. This is particularly relevant because of Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, in Izzet vs. Golgari.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-22 7:51 am 

Wait, maybe I missed something, but does the general count towards its rarity level? That is, if I choose Szadeck, does he eat up one of my 22 rare slots? Or is he independent? This is relevant if the chosen general is a mythic...

Also, count me in.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next