Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 6:46 am

Post subject: If I Ran the Parade
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:26 am 

I have this deck. Progenitus Parade Floats: my intent, at some point in my life, is to make this deck actually Parade themed--this hasn't been going so well yet; however, I am attempting to finally dedicate this deck to the theme. My last, grand idea had been to match various cards with Macy's Day Parade floats from a previous year, but the creatures which seem to fit most aren't too good. I'd have a weird and terribly underpowered deck, with absolutely no cohesion whatsoever.

So I'd like your help: if you ran the Magic the Gathering EDH Parade, what ginormous creatures would you put as parade balloons? It can be your favorite creature; it can be your most ridiculous creature; it can be whatever you think would be the most popular: just give a small reason why you'd pick each one you'd pick. The most popular...err...20? 30?--something like that--creatures is what I'm going to put into this deck, and I'm going to try altering the art on each one to show a caricature/parade balloon version of themselves. It'll be a lot of work, but I'm really excited to try!

If you have any other suggestions about potential parade-themed cards to play, I'm happy to hear those too.

Colossus of Akros--it's big, it's cumbersome, and it's got awesome effects!
Sphinx of the Steel Wind--such a great card, the Sphinx creature type is a crowd favorite, and the flavor text is high on my list of the greatest ever.
Colossal Whale--so big, it swallows other balloons.
Worldspine Wurm--the fat end on this one covers the sky.
Hellkite Overlord--because dragons. No, seriously, dragons. Dragons are awesome.
Verdant Force--another crowd favorite, from the past.
Akroma, Angel of Wrath--gets points for being pretty, and being from Legions helps.
Artisan of Kozilek--I like how the picture looks like it might be raising a blimp up off the ground.
Hamletback Goliath--it's blubber would be recognizable anywhere.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: If I Ran the Parade
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:45 am 

Stormtide Leviathan
Inkwell Leviathan

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:14 am 

Lorthos, the Tidemaker - Like you need a reason to run Lorthos.
Phelddagrif - Giant pink hippo!
Simic Sky Swallower - Chinese new year!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:15 am 

Clearly you must have Coalition Honor Guard

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:26 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Clearly you must have Coalition Honor Guard

I actually had been meaning to at least find Standard Bearer. Either one, honestly. Or both. Maybe not. Probably should. Eh?

Definitely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:34 am 

I'd include the non-float stuff too. There's always lots of bands so things like musician and elvish piper work. There are also people in little cars. I'd have to include goblin war buggy.

If you're doing Macy's parade, you'll need to find a Santa Claus, and if you're doing Mardi Gras, you'll need a king and queen. Mardi Gras floats tend to be things that are long, like a boat or an alligator. Otherwise, they just have a big theme at the front, which can be anything, and a place for people to hang out behind it. It sounds like you're thinking more Macy's. In that case, vigor looks like a balloon to me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:44 am 

I nominate Horrible Hordes

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 9:54 am 

The OG fatty, Leviathan.

Greater Gargadon
Phyrexian Dreadnought

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 10:05 am 

Dale! wrote:
I'd include the non-float stuff too. There's always lots of bands so things like musician and elvish piper work. There are also people in little cars. I'd have to include goblin war buggy.

If you're doing Macy's parade, you'll need to find a Santa Claus, and if you're doing Mardi Gras, you'll need a king and queen. Mardi Gras floats tend to be things that are long, like a boat or an alligator. Otherwise, they just have a big theme at the front, which can be anything, and a place for people to hang out behind it. It sounds like you're thinking more Macy's. In that case, vigor looks like a balloon to me.

Cool. I need to find a way to make the little guys relevant to the big guys, because legitimately playing Goblin Balloon Brigade would also be a riot...but only if I can make the card mean anything in the game.

Also, I suppose I might not have been clear enough: I'm not going to try copying any other current parade. This is YOUR Magic parade. If you turned on the news one morning, and that news station was covering the Magic the Gathering EDH Parade, what would you want to see there? (Or, it might be useful to ask yourself what you'd expect to see there.)

I'm liking the ideas, keep 'em coming. I'll edit the original post once there's really enough responses to start sorting out any kind of favorite balloon/parade creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 10:20 am 

Cosmic Larva obv

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 10:42 am 

Ashen Rider

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 11:01 am 

So clearly we've got some jokers in the crowd.

You know what? I've already got a plan for the terrible cards like Cosmic Lava and Leviathan (terrible cards, but I do find the humor in attempting to run them). If they end up in the deck I'm going to also play Zedruu and Bazaar Trader.

Because hey, sometimes those parade people walk down the street and give you a bunch of candy you didn't ask for and didn't particularly want. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 11:52 am 

For some reason the first Creature that comes to mind is Rafiq of the Many; he's a ringleader who rides a lion, for goodness sake! (Not to mention that he combines with Progenitus quite nicely.) I see him leading such attractions as Sigiled Behemoth and Enlisted Wurm.

Outside of Bant, I can see Panglacial Wurm making a nice float--and maybe Marit Lage, while we're at it . . .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:35 pm 

Ulamog would be an excellent balloon monstrosity.

I'd also like to see a giant balloon Squee, towed by a Goblin War Wagon, with a troupe of dancing Goblin Diplomats riding the wagon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:49 pm 

Kemev wrote:
I'd also like to see a giant balloon Squee, towed by a Goblin War Wagon, with a troupe of dancing Goblin Diplomats riding the wagon.

NOW we're talking!

Offline Profile