Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Dec-22 10:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gatecrash spoilers
AgePosted: 2012-Nov-19 6:28 am 

Niv-Mizzet_Rules! wrote:
I also am loving Aurelia, the Warleader. I know she's going to be received with groans in most play groups, but i've had a fun idea for a r/w commander deck but couldn't pick the commander.

fixed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-19 9:08 am 

Borborygmos Enraged + Scroll Rack +3 lands = Ancestral Recall for 1 colorless mana

Most Mayael decks already include Scroll Rack and have tons of land so Borborygmos 2.0 should fit right in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 3:05 am 

Malekoda wrote:

I've realised what irritates me about the Dragon: All of reds control abilities are "until end of turn" or "until ~this~ becomes untapped/leaves play." This gives Red permanent control of a specific card type and one that's not really all that difficult to manipulate other permanent types into. I think it's great for red to start getting effects like this however the addition of the "You win" clause is just not cricket. People are going to want to do stupid things to maximise the first ability's effect just so they can potentially profit from the second.

It's hard not to say thumbs up to the first as it's a real positive in a colour that needs diversity, but at the same time say thumbs down to the second ability that's not only not necessary but also pandering to the "competitive" commander player. How many are going to eak out well won victories with the second ability against the annoying few that will just roll a Lattice onto the table and send the defending player into limbo until someone puts them out of their misery. Even killing the Dragon won't bring back all of their permanents so they are essentially a bystander.

Current stable of Generals:
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden Weenie Goodstuff
Athreos, God of Passage WB, but mostly B
Keranos, God of Storms RU Artifacts, but mostly artifacts
Damia, Sage of Stone BUG Goodstuff
Bear's Companion Peasant!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 4:44 am 

zimagic wrote:
... good points ...

Totally agree, but I have to ask;
zimagic wrote:
is just not cricket.

What? Is this a British expression or something? I'm assuming it means "not cool", but I've never seen this before.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 6:09 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I have to ask;
zimagic wrote:
is just not cricket.

What? Is this a British expression or something? I'm assuming it means "not cool", but I've never seen this before.

Indicates you find something not right or fair from the pov of a gentleman, so a pretty conservative standpoint. Imagine the Hon. Rev. Sir John Smith Esq. OBE sitting in his personal lounger in the mens club wearing his house coat* and twiddling his handlebar moustache saying it before turning his attention back to the fine whiskey that Jeeves has just brought him.

*Monacle optional.

Current stable of Generals:
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden Weenie Goodstuff
Athreos, God of Passage WB, but mostly B
Keranos, God of Storms RU Artifacts, but mostly artifacts
Damia, Sage of Stone BUG Goodstuff
Bear's Companion Peasant!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 7:53 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
I'd definitely agree that even now, with Kaervek and soon Borborygmos in the picture, that changing commander damage from only combat to any type wouldn't break anything. There's no legend that can dish out 21 damage in a hurry that can't easily go for the full 40.

*cough* Heartless Hidetsugu *cough*

I see him easily taking out an entire table in a suicide red deck, if the rule is changed to non-combat.

Also, I foresee Ashling the Pilgrim getting there in the 99 mountain deck.

However, something smiles when I think of someone casting Collective Voyage and the whole table dying to a Zo-Zu the Punisher, or at the very least, Zo-Zu being the only player benefitting.

Though, other than that, my Niv-Mizzet deck could take out twice as many players if he only has to do 10 cards (Using furnace of rath and friends) instead of 20 cards per player.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 9:08 pm 

moraff wrote:
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
I'd definitely agree that even now, with Kaervek and soon Borborygmos in the picture, that changing commander damage from only combat to any type wouldn't break anything. There's no legend that can dish out 21 damage in a hurry that can't easily go for the full 40.

*cough* Heartless Hidetsugu *cough*

Shhhhhhhh! Quiet, you! Christmas comes early to the the Hidetsugu clan!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-22 11:34 pm 

also the generalised 'isn't cricket' British saying is now more popularly just 'tinner cricket' :-) as we Brits (especially Stokies) enjoy to shorten alot of words down into one or two so my missus says (who even though she only lives 35 miles away its like a different country between us lol)

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-23 3:23 am 

zimagic wrote:
I've realised what irritates me about the Dragon: All of reds control abilities are "until end of turn" or "until ~this~ becomes untapped/leaves play."

That's not quite true, as Red's portion of the color pie also gives it permanent change of control; but only with an element of Chaos (Illicit Auction, Thieves' Auction, Scrambleverse, etc). Red also have "give away control" (Starke of Rath, Crag Saurian, Drooling Ogre, etc)but that doesn't really apply here.

zimagic wrote:
It's hard not to say thumbs up to the first as it's a real positive in a colour that needs diversity, but at the same time say thumbs down to the second ability that's not only not necessary but also pandering to the "competitive" commander player. How many are going to eak out well won victories with the second ability against the annoying few that will just roll a Lattice onto the table and send the defending player into limbo until someone puts them out of their misery. Even killing the Dragon won't bring back all of their permanents so they are essentially a bystander.

I concur that the alt win condition seems wrong and a bit too combolicious (I generally dislike alt win conditions) but I am not sure that an unrestricted gain contreol effect is really good for the color balance. Thinks like Aladdin, Orcish Squatters and Hivis of the Scale work "as long as you control <this>" and I think that would have been a good improvement to allow answers to "steal everything" strategies. Hopefully we also get new versions of Brooding Sauarian so there are more than 3 cards for getting your stuff back (Brand and Homeward Path being the other 2 I can think of off the top of my head - Dimensional Breach and Warp World being long shot answers to this kind of thing).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-23 3:03 pm 

zimagic wrote:
How many are going to eak out well won victories with the second ability against the annoying few that will just roll a Lattice onto the table and send the defending player into limbo until someone puts them out of their misery. Even killing the Dragon won't bring back all of their permanents so they are essentially a bystander.
You have good points (with which I happen to disagree but I digress), but I have a problem with this statement.

Everyone and their mother knows that unless your general's name is Sen Triplets, Lattice is a dick card with almost no legit use. One more toy that makes it meaner isn't anything to hate. I'd rather lose to this then any other mainstream win like Mike and Trike. This combo is a non instant win that doesn't include any generals, can't be T&N'd, and requires a near 100% bad intent.

Remember Zealous Conscripts? It was the most powerful Kiki piece yet, since it both enabled a combo in mono red and made it so you won if your opponent had a Kiki, and happened to be a good card by itself to boot. However, complaints were few and most understood it was just a good card that happened to combo with an already known havoc raiser. I think the only reason this card is hated any more is because it actually says he words "win the game".

1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-07 4:49 am 

I am extremely excited about Aurelia! I used to have a Brion Stoutarm deck that I loved but eventually got retired. She really renewed my interest in a red/white deck. I can't wait to put my Sunforger package back together. I've been throwing around some ideas for a decklist since I saw her. The best part is that when I put a list together, it usually ends up having way too many cards in it, and cutting cards is the hardest part for me, usually taking a month or two to completely decide. So I should have my deck idea completed by the time she is actually released.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-08 10:19 am 

zimagic wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
I have to ask;
zimagic wrote:
is just not cricket.

Indicates you find something not right or fair from the pov of a gentleman, so a pretty conservative standpoint. Imagine the Hon. Rev. Sir John Smith Esq. OBE sitting in his personal lounger in the mens club wearing his house coat* and twiddling his handlebar moustache saying it before turning his attention back to the fine whiskey that Jeeves has just brought him.

*Monacle optional.

I have seen your handsome mug, sir, but I cannot picture you with a handlebar mustache and a monacle and house coat. I'll allow you the fine whiskey, and assuming you have a buddy that happens to be named "Jeeves", that he might have brought it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-13 2:51 pm 

Man, I hate the large gulf with no spoilers. We should start seeing spoiler season just after the new year, tho.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-13 4:14 pm 

Maro said on his twitter that we'd see spoilers on Dec. 31.

This means I'll be hitting F5 repeatedly on my laptop during our annual drunken New Year's party, but ... priorities. (And the party is AT the game shop, so everyone else should be as excited as I am when the spoilers hit.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-13 5:13 pm 

pookel wrote:
Maro said on his twitter that we'd see spoilers on Dec. 31.

This means I'll be hitting F5 repeatedly on my laptop during our annual drunken New Year's party, but ... priorities. (And the party is AT the game shop, so everyone else should be as excited as I am when the spoilers hit.)

lol.

Quote:
The name calling on Joz is in good fun; he is self-labeled as a horrible troll but is actually the kind of person you want on a forum that you frequent.

EDH Deck List

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 60  Next