Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Its Almost Grixis Season!
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 5:19 am 

Why don't we have people make a list of 3 cards:

1 card for the 2-5 dollar range for the poorer gift givers (or some lesser cards adding up to a few bucks)
1 card in the 6-8 dollar range for the not so poorer gift givers
1 card in the 8-20 range for the people that want to give what they can.

A list for example, my list would be:
an copy of Rayne or Azusa signed and doodled by the members of the RC
decree of pain (most likely to receive)
Adun Oakenshield (most unlikely to receive)

Or people could say "Standard stuff" or "legacy" or "EDH hard-to-find (Legends legends, gauntlets of power, etc..)

Then, individuals read other peoples list, and message whomever is in charge of the secret gift giver program, whom they will be gifting, then at a certain point,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 6:30 am 

@Joz, I totally understand where you're coming from and think that you have a good idea.

But my guidelines would be for EDH cards, I guarantee everyone here plays EDH (cause its an EDH forum) so I would suggest EDH staples.

I don't want to classify that anymore than it already is because I don't want someone who is going to send a Crystal Ball that they altered with a Sharpie to feel that they can't participate in this. I want everyone to be involved no matter how little they can put forth. I think that if people want to write a list of what they would like, that is totally cool and all but I don't want people to be upset when they don't get something that they wanted. I'm just trying to keep expectations low and simplicity high.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 6:36 am 

I'd be a bit...pieved, if I got a sharpied on Crystal Ball...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 6:45 am 

Joz wrote:

I understand, but if that is what someone can put forth then I'd rather have them participate with that then not participate. I think of events like this like an EDH game, I'd rather someone with a precon or most horrible tribal ever to play a game rather than not because they know they can't really compete. Now if someone does that just because they are a dick, then that is a whole different issue. But if someone is 13 and their mom won't let them buy Magic cards and all they can afford to send is a .25 cent card then I'd be okay with receiving that.

I already have set aside what I'm sending to whoever I'm assigned to and I value it quite high (over $50) but again this isn't about making this a pissing contest it's about community, socializing, and eating peoples faces with big dragons (its about fun).

They got their little Grixis hats and bags full of Cruel ultimatiums for people, I'm sending 4 because most people have more than 1 EDH deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 6:58 am 

Joz wrote:
Christmas. Joz don't geddit :P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 7:30 am 

Viperion wrote:
Joz wrote:
Christmas. Joz don't geddit :P

Im not christian, that's probably why.

What if you had some sort of system, that people could be paired up to send similar value gifts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:05 am 

Joz wrote:

This tells me you dont really want to do this, so dont participate if you dont like the idea. Getting a gift shouldnt be about value, it;s about effort and thoughfulness. In this kind of a deal, people do what they can to send an entertaining card (usually altered or something else to make it custom) to bring joy to a fellow MTG/EDH player.

I wouldn't be opposed to maybe a restriction that a Legendary creature had to be included (since this is EDH) but otherwise, be happy that you are for sure getting a MTG related gift.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:19 am 

Shoe wrote:
Joz wrote:

This tells me you dont really want to do this, so dont participate if you dont like the idea. Getting a gift shouldnt be about value, it;s about effort and thoughfulness. In this kind of a deal, people do what they can to send an entertaining card (usually altered or something else to make it custom) to bring joy to a fellow MTG/EDH player.

I wouldn't be opposed to maybe a restriction that a Legendary creature had to be included (since this is EDH) but otherwise, be happy that you are for sure getting a MTG related gift.

Well then, I guess I'll hold onto the gifts I was going to give. The almighty Shoe has decreed that my selfish, immoral, ungrateful, self is apparently not worthy of receiving so mighty a gift as a sharpied on 10c card that quite literally cost less then what it would take to ship it. In that case, why should poorer players even both sending anything at all, shouldn't the richer players be the only one giving gifts and then the poorer players should just express there gratitude, in a system known as charity?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:29 am 

Joz wrote:
my selfish, immoral, ungrateful, self is apparently

What Grixis is all about (this isn't Christmas). Grixis is about receiving not giving, but when no one gives no one receives so its a balancing act. This argument over the proper attitude isn't doing anything, people will send what they send and people will get what they get.

This isn't a trade scenario (things may not be even), but I cannot control what people send out or what gets lost or damaged in the mail (although in all my time trading online I have never had an item lost or damaged in the mail). I cannot control whether you send a mint condition alpha black lotus and someone forgets to send at all. All I can do is randomly assign people to send a gift to someone, and since everyone who is sending a gift should be getting a gift then it should equal out with a gift for a gift. To try and put a value equation into the mix would make things overly complex on my part (something that I don't want to do) and then also make it like its a random trade. All I can and will do is urge people to send something that will make someone want to play with it during their next game.

All I'm trying to do is have a fun gift exchange and help build the community a little. Joz if you want to send out something that you think is cool and valuable then by all means do it, don't let someone stop you. But I would say that rather than worry about the money value of it you should focus on the fun value of it.

BTW if you guys want to post your requests, let me know and I'll with edit them to the 1st post so that they are easy to find. But I'm not going to deliberately pair anyone up with anyone (not even myself) because that would just make this a convoluted mess.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:50 am 

Perhaps it would be easier to say it like this: send something you'd like to get, but not something you're attached to.

'Something cool/neat' seems like the right guideline for an EDH game, and for the sending of trinkets.

I'm also planning on researching the member who I pull and seeing what I might have that would at least be potentially useful.

I've got a Commander blog: http://wordofcommander.blogspot.com/ and it includes my custom-foil generals and how to make them!

If you're into the finance side of things, look me up in the Casual Fridays column on the MTGPrice Blog.

Enjoy!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:51 am 

TheEvilCliff wrote:
Perhaps it would be easier to say it like this: send something you'd like to get, but not something you're attached to.

'Something cool/neat' seems like the right guideline for an EDH game, and for the sending of trinkets.

I'm also planning on researching the member who I pull and seeing what I might have that would at least be potentially useful.

I was going to suggest that people do that, but you beat me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Its Almost Grixis Season! - Gift Excahnge
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 9:12 am 

So I updated it so that there will be a request section on the front page so people can put down (in a sentence or two) what they are looking for. Please remember to be reasonable with it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Its Almost Grixis Season! - Gift Exchange
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 5:51 pm 

I like the idea, but I wouldn't want people to have to pay for international shipping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 6:33 pm 

Something tells me Joz will be receiving two cards from his secret Santa.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 8:54 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
I like the idea, but I wouldn't want people to have to pay for international shipping.
You can send a single card (or even a playset of cards) as a normal letter. It's not expensive at all.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next