Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 10:07 am

Post subject: (Top Ten) Overlooked/Unsung Heroes of EDH
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-02 11:53 pm 

So, in my attempts to play decks that include cards that people have never seen before, I've started to stumble across a few cards that I find particularly potent. I've started to compile a list of a few cards that I think are very powerful but uncommonly played. Please reply with your own ideas...

1.) Sudden Spoiling-Besides being an incredible utility card (can function as a 3 mana plague wind in the right situation or a quick answer to indestructible, unblockable, or protected creatures), this card is split second. Its always great to load your decks with answers, this one seems pretty perfect.

2.) Cultural Exchange-Not only does this one allow you to exchange your tokens and useless creatures for threats across the board, but it also allows you to screw things up for opponents who depend on a particular set up to make use of activated abilities and other "privileged positions". Also note that the only targets listed in the card are each of two players-Cultural Exchange does not target creatures, but instead approaches them just as a clone does.

3.) Fracturing Gust-This one doesn't need much explanation but the 2 life per enchantment and artifact on the board is often much more significant than you would expect.

4.) Samite Elder-Basically a Mother of Ruins on steroids. Put in a deck with a five color general for maximum abuse.

5.) Void-Most often, Void will hit at least two permanents. Since it doesn't target, its a great way to blast through shrouded creatures. The added value of seeing another players hand and possibly even making them discard something is a plus as well.

6.) Righteous Fury-When the time comes, you'll know it. And when you do, its a blow out.

7.) Ice Floe-Poor man's Maze of Ith. Works just as well.

8.) Burgeoning-Doesn't belong in every deck BUT will serve as some pretty excellent accell for one that draws a lot of cards.

9.) War Tax-Politics are the name of the game. Ask them if they are going to attack you. If they are lying, just don't trust them. It is a pretty useful turtle shell for a deck that just wants to wait around.

10.) Intervention Pact-Comes out of nowhere...turns a bad turn into a great one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: (Top Ten) Overlooked/Unsung Heroes of EDH
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-03 12:07 am 

Corx wrote:
8.) Burgeoning-Doesn't belong in every deck BUT will serve as some pretty excellent accell for one that draws a lot of cards.

Terrain Generator is a good replacement for non-green decks, especially mono-blue.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-03 2:01 am 

Malekoda wrote:
Corx wrote:

Terrain Generator is a good replacement for non-green decks, especially mono-blue.

I have a friend online that always seems to get a God Draw with this. In at least 6/10 games, by turn 3 he had Burgeoning and Amulet of Vigor in play and a Thawing Glaciers that he could activate on each player's turn.

Since I'm such a tribal EDH player, I give props to Harsh Mercy and Patriarch's Bidding. Since most people rarely play tribal decks, even when they do (like the very common Zombie and Vampire decks lately) they never seem to include these two rockers.

Well of Lost Dreams is another card I think gets overlooked alot. It doesn't take much in the deck to conisistant draw with it. Anything from Diamond Valley type effects to Venser's Journal can really give any color deck the nudge it needs.

Cream of the Crop is a card I'm surprised not to see in more Green decks. Green isn't top in card filtering, but the cards it has to do so are top notch. I think most Mono decks can benefit from this or Sylvan library. Unless you are gaining alot of life to double draw with library, I think this is usually better. And last I checked, this was rather cheap.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-03 2:49 am 

Corx wrote:
7.) Ice Floe-Poor man's Maze of Ith. Works just as well.

Except for the part where you still take combat damage...

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-03 10:30 am 

Corx wrote:
4.) Samite Elder-Basically a Mother of Ruins on steroids. Put in a deck with a five color general for maximum abuse.

I don't think Samite Elder is as good as you think. You can only give your creatures protection from a color(s) of a permanent you control. Unless your general is 5C or you're stealing permanents it is likely you won't be able to protect your creatures from a color your opponent(s) is playing. Mother of Runes however can give a creature pro any color, regardless of the permanents you control. Plus she can be searched for with Ranger of Eos and retrieved with Reveillark.

Agree with Fracturing Gust. I play it in my Mayael deck and I typically gain 10+ life with it.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 8:18 am 

My list:

1. Telepathy - So many blue mages overlook this card, when it is exactly the information they need in a multi-player format.

2. Absolute Grace / Absolute Law - The statistics on the number of decks/cards these two little cheap enchantments fuck over would be amazing.

3. Hunter's Insight - Unless you're a token deck, most green decks could get a shit-ton of cards with this.

4. Aura Shards - artifact/enchantment hate that you can deploy when and where you choose seems good

5. Descendant of Soramaro - Blue loves to draw, and this guy provides premium draw sculpting

6. Mystic Speculation - more deck sculpting!

7. The medallions (Ruby Medallion, etc) - particularly strong in mono-colored decks, but any deck with a good color focus can benefit

8. Citanul Flute - People say it's too expensive, but in EDH the recurrable tutoring effect is really strong

9. Hibernation's End - Just absurd in most games where this sticks around

10. Hall of Gemstone - slows down multi-color decks immensely, but without the total hobbling of LD

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 9:05 am 

My additions to the list:

Ashes to Ashes - Cheap way to exile two problem creatures, and 5 life isn't usually too much of a drawback.

Sigil of the New Dawn - Oh, you Terrored my General? How cute.

Protective Sphere - Say what you will about Samite Healer (I run it in my Oros, the Avenger deck to great effect), but I've run Protective Sphere in a few different tri-color decks to great success. True, you won't stop everything all the time, but the Sphere stops most general damage in my experience.

Shapesharer - A cheap, repeatable clone. Usually, I'm able to let him sit on the board quietly, and he'll become something good like Prime or Sun Titan, or take out a general if needed. The drawback of not taking advantage of ETB is minor.

Scrying Sheets - This card would be a lot worse if you had to reveal the card regardless, but if you can afford one more colorless land and have a fair number of basics, swap them out for snow lands and throw this in. Couple it with Terrain Generator for added tech when you have the mana laying around.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 12:19 am 

Here's 5 that I like. Note that only the first one is rare, and it's a dollar rare at that.

Temporal Aperture - I love this card in Commander, with its huge CMC cards. Even if you get a bad result (a land), all you've done is pay 2 extra for a Journeyer's Kite effect. (Just use this card before playing your land for the turn.)

Homarid Spawning Bed - Yeah, I know it's from Fallen Empires, which is a really bad set. But getting a bunch of tokens in response to your blue creature getting killed/stolen seems good.

Paradise Plume - Again, laugh at this card, but most games I play this I gain at least 10 life from it.

Unbender Tine - I'm always surprised when I play this card, as I find unexpected uses for it (beyond the obvious mana ramping).

Sunstone - Another reason to run Snow-Covereds (besides making Extraplanar Lens not affect as many opponents). Ridiculous with Thawing Glaciers / Crucible.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 7:42 am 

Corx wrote:
2.) Cultural Exchange-Not only does this one allow you to exchange your tokens and useless creatures for threats across the board, but it also allows you to screw things up for opponents who depend on a particular set up to make use of activated abilities and other "privileged positions". Also note that the only targets listed in the card are each of two players-Cultural Exchange does not target creatures, but instead approaches them just as a clone does.

Wait...Cultural Exchange doesn't target the creatures? Wow... That card is like, 100x better then I though it was. I need to start playing that ASAP.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 7:59 am 

kaldare wrote:
Wait...Cultural Exchange doesn't target the creatures? Wow... That card is like, 100x better then I though it was. I need to start playing that ASAP.
He speaks the truth. CE is pretty sweet against Uril and other shroud/hexproof generals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 11:14 am 

The_Dr_B wrote:
My list:

1. Telepathy - So many blue mages overlook this card, when it is exactly the information they need in a multi-player format.

2. Absolute Grace / Absolute Law - The statistics on the number of decks/cards these two little cheap enchantments fuck over would be amazing.

3. Hunter's Insight - Unless you're a token deck, most green decks could get a shit-ton of cards with this.

4. Aura Shards - artifact/enchantment hate that you can deploy when and where you choose seems good

5. Descendant of Soramaro - Blue loves to draw, and this guy provides premium draw sculpting

6. Mystic Speculation - more deck sculpting!

7. The medallions (Ruby Medallion, etc) - particularly strong in mono-colored decks, but any deck with a good color focus can benefit

8. Citanul Flute - People say it's too expensive, but in EDH the recurrable tutoring effect is really strong

9. Hibernation's End - Just absurd in most games where this sticks around

10. Hall of Gemstone - slows down multi-color decks immensely, but without the total hobbling of LD

Thanks for this list. I have a scry deck and I forgot the descendant and Mystic Speculation. Although I've tried using Hunter's Insight and it invariably leads to the death of my critters. Maybe I need to use more hexproof and indestructibles...hmmm...

As for my underated faves: I have always loved Pestilence and think it is underplayed in this format. Also big on Indrik Stomphowler, Rush of Knowledge (though have the same problem as with the Insight at times!), Deserted Temple, and Winged Coatl. Now to post and see if I spelled them right for gather to find them!

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 12:27 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
kaldare wrote:
He speaks the truth. CE is pretty sweet against Uril and other shroud/hexproof generals.

Also, it's bonkers in Zedruu.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 10:17 am 

Celerus wrote:
Corx wrote:

I don't think Samite Elder is as good as you think. You can only give your creatures protection from a color(s) of a permanent you control. Unless your general is 5C or you're stealing permanents it is likely you won't be able to protect your creatures from a color your opponent(s) is playing. Mother of Runes however can give a creature pro any color, regardless of the permanents you control. Plus she can be searched for with Ranger of Eos and retrieved with Reveillark.

Have you tried this card out? Note the "put in a five color deck for maximum abuse". Even in a deck that includes white and common "kill creature" colors, it can cause a headache for your opponents. Its very utility in that it can protect your creatures, allow them to block without penalty, and alpha strike. I run one in my Horde of Notions deck and it does a damn fine job.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 12:36 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hidden Gems: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/20222_Embracing_the_Chaos_Hidden_Gems_Part_1_of_2.html
Hidden Gems Part 2: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/20257_Embracing_the_Chaos_Hidden_Gems_Part_2_of_2.html
Hidden Gems Redux: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/commander/23761_Hidden_Gems_Redux.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 6:13 pm 

Sudden Spoiling- This is not a combat trick. This is THE combat trick. Stir the Pride, Decree of Savagery, and Vitalizing Wind all cry themselves to sleep at night knowing they will never be as good as this card.

Sudden Death- In case I haven't made it clear, split second is the power of Christ. The ability to smack down utility dudes at that speed is certainly worth 1BB.

Decree of Stuff- I love cycling. I love effects that are really hard to counter. The decrees, more than any other cards, are where those two great tastes taste great together. Whether it's a canned army, an attacker suddenly getting a lot more threatening, or just a plain ol' Armageddon, there's a Decree out there to suit your needs.

Diviner's Wand- Y helo thar, colorless draw engine that doesn't tap or cost an arm and a leg. It's cards like this that make me wonder why Scepter of Insight got printed. And while we're on the topic...

Icy Manipulator and it's big brother, Scepter of Dominance- Such a simple effect, really, but in a format full of game-changers like Prime Time and Cabal Coffers, being able to keep something permanently tangled up on the board is actually one of the better methods of dealing with it.

Onslaught and Lorwyn blocks- Yeah, this is cheating, but I'm a huge fan of tribal, and even cherry-picking the good stuff would take all day. There were a ton of quality cycles in these blocks- just off the top of my head, the Gempalms, Warchiefs, Harbingers, Bannerets, and tribal lands all have worthwhile applications. Then there's the non-tribe-specific goodstuff like Distant Melody, Aphetto Dredging, and Harsh Mercy.

Offline Profile