Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-09 5:10 am

Post subject: Frustrated...
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-22 4:56 am 

Ever feel frustrated by the poor plays of your co-players?

In a three way, one guy (Merfolk Tribal), with no board presence (not through my machinations) completely blacked out, and remove souled my (Teneb Rock) desperate fleshbag marauder to stop the runaway 7/7 vinelasher kudzu of the third player (Loam-Strip-Fetch-Cycle).

Lately, my deck-topping skills have abandoned me, but that play was the last insult, that broke my sanity.

Afterwards, I think we all just looked at each other and wondered what the hell was he thinking of.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Frustrated...
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-22 6:10 am 

We've got 2 players who, about 6 months ago were at the same level. One doesn't listen and refuses to take any advice. "You play your game and let me play mine!" is his motto. The second is now a threat in our playgroup with decks that are both fun and powerful. He plays well and follows you afterwards to have us explain why we headslapped when he made a boneheaded move. He generally doesn't do it twice.

So yeah, you get frustrated and sometimes it gets better. Other times you have to accept that there's a joker in the pack.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-23 7:37 am 

zimagic wrote:
So yeah, you get frustrated and sometimes it gets better. Other times you have to accept that there's a joker in the pack.

Sound advice indeed.

Our group is super casual, threat assessment is present but often gets overriden by Spite/Malice, Angerand the like.

Pefect example:

People are building up, not much going on when I attack J. He reacts strongly about it...
"You have a Life from the Loam engine, if you're dead you can't use it."
"I don't HAVE that in here! Why don't you attack K. before he builds up a planeswalker?"
*ponders*
"Didn't you attack me with a bunch of 2/2 Soldiers with Wake/Decree of Justice a while back?"
*Swing into him*

They say I'm like the barbarians in the Civilization PC game, heh. :oops:

Another time, we had a Thraximundar deck, Kemba, Horobi and Sen Triplets. The Triplets player had won a few games and we had a chance to destroy him...instead the Kemba player aggros on me because Horobi was killing his equip ability, fair enough. After that, everyone forgets about the combat step, Triplets starts ramping up and eventually gets going, using Kemba's resources while using Mindslaver/Ruins on another player. We all concede. Oh, the Thrax player was attacking Kemba, making him lose a single token each time...sigh.

Aaaah well, they can't all be oil paintings. :)

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-16 12:03 am 

Sorry for the necro, but I absolutely needed to explain situations like this.

The biggest one I remember was one game when me and my friends were playing and I threw down a Prototype Portal with Ancient Den on it and also had Darksteel Forge on the field. For some stupid reason, one of the players, using another of my decks, played Armageddon in what he thought was an effort to, ahem, "remove the Ancient Den from the Prototype Portal." Not only did I want to strangle him for his outright stupidity, but so did my friends, basically determining I'd won and proceeding to continue anyways without me and kill him. The Armageddon was in that deck for either that one drastic measure or for a Barren Glory (though that latter never seemed to go off).

Other times have involved people who simply didn't know how to play my decks at all, whether they'd seen me use them or not. A lot of times they feel like they'll just play it how they want, but then this is the reason why you can't simply play a top tier net deck and hope to be a god with it just because you're playing it.

Other frustration comes not from games but rather from simple deckbuilding. A friend of mine asked me to build him a Grixis-themed deck after he saw my Crosis deck and stated how he liked the colors. I saw the deck as a strong amount of experimentation with the likes of infect and dealing damage through drawing cards. My deck ultimately failed and then one day I was playing MTGO and had the Mind Over Matter + Temple Bell combo pulled out on me which got me thinking about trying my first combo deck based on a lot of other combos I'd seen. I built said friend this deck and also, at the same time, showed it to my other friends. They all said that for our meta it was a damn fine build and might only have changed literally one or two cards in the entire thing. However, the friend who comissioned it from me was demanding change after change, ultimately butchering and diluting the deck's power. This was just frustratingly painful beyond belief and a lot of my friends went off on him in much the same way.

/rant

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-19 7:40 pm 

It is when people have their own interpretation of the card.

Generally commanding Captain Sisay and Karn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-24 10:29 pm 

I think building and playing with one's own deck is definitely a step in the right directions. Having someone else build a deck for you will simply result in a difference of opinion on how a deck should function, as with over 11,000 cards, there are likely to be one or two that one player prefers over others.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 1:45 pm 

Quote:
However, the friend who comissioned it from me was demanding change after change, ultimately butchering and diluting the deck's power. This was just frustratingly painful beyond belief and a lot of my friends went off on him in much the same way.
It sounds like you built the deck for you, not for him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 4:59 am 

Fugu wrote:
Quote:
However, the friend who comissioned it from me was demanding change after change, ultimately butchering and diluting the deck's power. This was just frustratingly painful beyond belief and a lot of my friends went off on him in much the same way.
It sounds like you built the deck for you, not for him.

Not really, it was more I built it for him based on the kinds of things he was asking me for but when I presented it he was asking about cards like saying Crosis was bad as a general because half our group plays multicolor (not like Persecute isn't good in multicolor or anything), criticizing that the signets had no point in it (which they did), saying Dark Ritual is bad, things like that.

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-27 11:02 am 

Well ... Dark Ritual usually is a little sub-par in EDH ... trading card advantage for a tempo increase isn't the best trade in a multiplayer format with 40 life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-16 4:40 am 

I definitely had no control over other people's personality and intelligence. I did not choose their cards for them nor force them to play.

Generally commanding Captain Sisay and Karn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-16 6:40 am 

Multiplayer tourneys, 4 man pods:

Nath, 3 random generals:
Nath has his general in play plus Geth's Grimoire in play. Random player cast Wheel of Fortune...
Guess who won.

Karthuss (me), <Random blueish general>, Ertai the Corrupted, Nath (also in that order at the table):
Nath starts ramping up and becoming a bit of a problem. Ertai control magics Nath with a Sower of Temptation to keep him in check. Random blueish general has crystal shard in play and bounces Sower at the end of Ertai's turn. Nath proceeds to vampiric tutor in response for his sadistic hypnotist and wins from there. Blueish general's reason for that: Ertai was tapped out and Nath is dangerous, Ertai must have been up to something.

Rhys the Redeemded (me), Kiki-Jiki, Brion Stoutarm, Nath (also in that order at the table):
Kiki is a bit screwed and has not much of a board presence. Brion is getting beat down by Nath. I'm trying to build up an army so i can eventually explode with my Beast master ascension + Akroma's memorial in my hand. Nath has a ton of tokens, Eldrazi monument and some other stuff. I finally drop my Akroma's memorial and swing into Nath taking a decent chunk of his life and making my Ascension in hand lethal. Brion untaps, draws, slams Rout. All our armies die besides Nath, since his is indestructible. Nath untaps, drops contamination and proceeds to win the game. Brion's reason for that: by wrathing he thought he could convince Nath to stop attacking him so he could become second in the pod. Add insult to injury, Nath indeed didn't slap him for making such a stupid move and proceeds to finish the other players first even though we were all locked under contamination.

I -hate- people like that, ruining games by sheer stupidity. Practically giving players the victory.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-27 10:35 am 

It sounds like contamination ruined that game ten times more than an ill placed rout did.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-27 11:01 am 

EarthBowser wrote:
It sounds like contamination ruined that game ten times more than an ill placed rout did.

I disagree, contamination never ruins games.

DONT TOUCH MY CONTAMINATION!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-29 7:59 am 

Joz wrote:
EarthBowser wrote:

I disagree, contamination never ruins games.

DONT TOUCH MY CONTAMINATION!

Well of course I wasn't talking about your contamination. I would never touch that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-07 3:07 pm 

EarthBowser wrote:

Without that Rout i would have just bashed Nath to pulp on the back of Akroma's Vengeance. I would rather have 10 contamination's in my game than a Rout played like that. But that might be personal :)

Offline Profile