Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-12 10:37 pm 

I was running a different build of Daxos a week or two ago, and out of 4, 3 of us were left facing down this monstrosity of a Sharuum net-deck. He had his entire engine out, and the Roon player was in a serious lock-down when Mr. Esper lay's down his Mycosynth Lattice and Unwinding Clock and a bunch of other stuff, tapping out.

Roon asks me what he should Krosan Grip and I suggest the Clock. That's when I topdeck my new tech and give it a whirl, Energy Flux. I have never quite seen a bitchfest about how all triggers go on the stack during an upkeep before anyone can respond, from said Sharuum player. He argued that one till he was blue. That Roon player did not mind losing half his mana base during his upkeep.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 8:37 am 

RoarMaster wrote:
Every card, from Sylvan Prime to Sundering Titan that have been banned are from 'Player Issues' as you so call them.

This was getting pretty far off-topic, so I started a thread in the rules forum if people want to talk about Zur there.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16748

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 9:01 am 

PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Shoe wrote:
kuntry816 wrote:
best feeling in my deck is to have Kresh on the field, opponents tapped out with a plague wind in my hand, and then I draw natural affinity cue evil grin

I love hitting Kresh, Jenara, Animar or any of the other +1/+1 counter Generals with Spike Cannibal

I didnt know that card existed.

Brb buying a million.

I dont think most people do...that's why its so satisfying to play it!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-17 10:39 pm 

Shoe wrote:
PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Shoe wrote:
I love hitting Kresh, Jenara, Animar or any of the other +1/+1 counter Generals with Spike Cannibal

Brb buying a million.

Well, I must thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Im almost scared to use it though... As soon as my friends see it, Im certain they will acquire thier own, and the card seems like it would give my Ulasht deck a hellish time.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 11:19 am 

PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Shoe wrote:
PredatoryAmoeba wrote:

Brb buying a million.

Well, I must thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Im almost scared to use it though... As soon as my friends see it, Im certain they will acquire thier own, and the card seems like it would give my Ulasht deck a hellish time.

LIKELY!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 12:10 pm 

It's a four-player game. I'm playing Bladewing the Risen. My opponents are Brion Stoutarm All-The-Flings, Marath Beast Tribal (not mine, a different one), and my Dosan deck which I had loaned to the guy for the game.

The Game is mine. Scourge of Valkas, Bladewing the Risen, and Moonveil Dragon are all on the field. My non-creatures consist of a bunch of mana rocks and Crucible of Fire, making my army of unstoppable Blood Dragons huge. My turn comes up. I topdeck Wound Reflection. This is it. The game is mine. I slap that thing down and get to swinging. Everyone is still at damn-near full health though. I could alpha-strike one guy, but I am nothing if not a merciful dictator. I spread the love around, one dragon at everyone, knocking them all to blinking range with wound reflection. I give them all one turn, mostly because I want to watch them squirm and beg before I destroy them. This game is mine. Today the table, tomorrow the world. No one can stop me now.

Brion's general is dead. He has no haste enablers. I gloat at him with a sinister smirk on my face. He recasts his general and passes the turn.

Marath has no flying defense and lost most of his creatures to my Living Death many turns ago. He swings at me pitifully with what little he has. I cackle in deviant glee. The fool barely dented me. He passes the turn.

Then it's Dosan's turn. He's been drawing nothing but lands, there are two forests in his hand. He has Caged Sun, Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, a Darksteel Ingot, and eight Forests in play. A possible recipe for danger, but it's Green. His stuff doesn't have haste, he has no board wipes, and his Silklash Spider died many turns ago. He can't stop my flyers and he can't kill me until the turn after, a privilege which I will not grant him. No matter what he throws at me, I'm safe.

Right?

And that's when I forgot that I had added Mistcutter Hydra to that deck.

Land for the turn. Mistcutter Hydra. Ingot for Green. X=18. Doubling Season kicks in. Hydra gets thirty-six counters. I'm tapped out. Hydra swings at me for 37. My jaw is trembling. Impossible! It wasn't supposed to end like this! NO! I'M INVINCIBLE! As that giant unstoppable engine of death rumbled towards me, all I could think was "I am dead, dead, dead..." I died in vengeance, fury, and many snapping heads. Then Brion killed the Hydra with Sudden Disappearance and the game went on.

Never before have I felt so much like a supervillain. It was awesome.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:16 am 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
It's a four-player game. I'm playing Bladewing the Risen. My opponents are Brion Stoutarm All-The-Flings, Marath Beast Tribal (not mine, a different one), and my Dosan deck which I had loaned to the guy for the game.

The Game is mine. Scourge of Valkas, Bladewing the Risen, and Moonveil Dragon are all on the field. My non-creatures consist of a bunch of mana rocks and Crucible of Fire, making my army of unstoppable Blood Dragons huge. My turn comes up. I topdeck Wound Reflection. This is it. The game is mine. I slap that thing down and get to swinging. Everyone is still at damn-near full health though. I could alpha-strike one guy, but I am nothing if not a merciful dictator. I spread the love around, one dragon at everyone, knocking them all to blinking range with wound reflection. I give them all one turn, mostly because I want to watch them squirm and beg before I destroy them. This game is mine. Today the table, tomorrow the world. No one can stop me now.

Brion's general is dead. He has no haste enablers. I gloat at him with a sinister smirk on my face. He recasts his general and passes the turn.

Marath has no flying defense and lost most of his creatures to my Living Death many turns ago. He swings at me pitifully with what little he has. I cackle in deviant glee. The fool barely dented me. He passes the turn.

Then it's Dosan's turn. He's been drawing nothing but lands, there are two forests in his hand. He has Caged Sun, Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, a Darksteel Ingot, and eight Forests in play. A possible recipe for danger, but it's Green. His stuff doesn't have haste, he has no board wipes, and his Silklash Spider died many turns ago. He can't stop my flyers and he can't kill me until the turn after, a privilege which I will not grant him. No matter what he throws at me, I'm safe.

Right?

And that's when I forgot that I had added Mistcutter Hydra to that deck.

Land for the turn. Mistcutter Hydra. Ingot for Green. X=18. Doubling Season kicks in. Hydra gets thirty-six counters. I'm tapped out. Hydra swings at me for 37. My jaw is trembling. Impossible! It wasn't supposed to end like this! NO! I'M INVINCIBLE! As that giant unstoppable engine of death rumbled towards me, all I could think was "I am dead, dead, dead..." I died in vengeance, fury, and many snapping heads. Then Brion killed the Hydra with Sudden Disappearance and the game went on.

Never before have I felt so much like a supervillain. It was awesome.

That was awesome commentary!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-05 11:12 pm 

So in my Toshiro Umezawa deck I used a buyback'd Slaughter to kill a random creature, then used Toshi's trigger to fake-flashback Fated Return and get a now-indestructible Admonition Angel.

Then the table killed the guy I stole it from by my next turn, so I lost it.

On the plus side, because of the stupid way stolen cards work in EDH, I was able to permanently exile a Caged Sun, which made my Night of Souls' Betrayal stop sucking, so hey, that was cool.

I scooped shortly afterward. Partly because there were a lot of Slivers on the board, and partly because it was time to play DnD at that point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 6:29 am 

On the plus side, because of the stupid way stolen cards work in EDH.

My favorite house rule is that stolen cards become tokens when their owner leaves the game. It allows players who are done to take their physical cards without disrupting the game state (and it undermines the power of the douchescoop, which is always a plus).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 2:45 pm 

On the plus side, because of the stupid way stolen cards work in EDH, I was able to permanently exile a Caged Sun, which made my Night of Souls' Betrayal stop sucking, so hey, that was cool.

First off, that's multiplayer in general, not an EDH rule. Secondly, I don't think it works that way. The player that owned the angel leaves the game, along with all cards he owns, but YOU were still in the game, and the angel's "leaves play" trigger would still go on the stack, since you controlled it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 10:37 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

First off, that's multiplayer in general, not an EDH rule. Secondly, I don't think it works that way. The player that owned the angel leaves the game, along with all cards he owns, but YOU were still in the game, and the angel's "leaves play" trigger would still go on the stack, since you controlled it.

Nope. The angel never "leaves play" it just ceases to exist. Also, who would control the trigger? It belongs to a player that no longer exists.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 11:39 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

True, unfair snub to the format, but yeah, it does work that way. A good way to think of it is more like Phasing than ETB/LTB. Works the same way with O-rings.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 6:32 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

True, unfair snub to the format, but yeah, it does work that way. A good way to think of it is more like Phasing than ETB/LTB. Works the same way with O-rings.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you back that up? I just read through the entire relevant section of the comp. rules, and I saw nothing that says that your trigger wouldn't go on the stack. I see the rule that says triggers belonging to the player that left the game don't go on the stack, but this wouldn't belong to him, it would belong to you. What am I missing?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 7:32 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Quote:
603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to
another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the
game. These are written as, but aren’t limited to, “When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . .”
or “Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . .” An ability that
attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone
that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone “from anywhere” is
never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the
battlefield.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-09 8:11 am 

Quote:
603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the game. These are written as, but aren’t limited to, “When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . .” or “Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . .” An ability that attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone “from anywhere” is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield.

So... I'm right on this one?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next