Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 2:37 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Notion Thief + Sign in Blood, Compulsive Research or Nekusar is pretty cool too, though. I kinda wish he was legendary.

Notion Thief in a Nekusar deck really annoyed me last week because the guy was playing every Wheel of Fortune effect he could find in his "toned down" deck.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 2:45 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Notion Thief + Sign in Blood, Compulsive Research or Nekusar is pretty cool too, though. I kinda wish he was legendary.

Notion Thief in a Nekusar deck really annoyed me last week because the guy was playing every Wheel of Fortune effect he could find in his "toned down" deck.

Seems like a casual deck to me.

Would be more fun if he added Hive Mind :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 4:36 pm 

Joz wrote:

Well, it would be more fun for ME because he would have instantly decked himself (draw 7 x 4 x 4 = draw 112 cards = lose game).

My problem with it is that it's staggeringly annoying. Nekusar + Wheel I totally get and think is fine. Adding Notion Thief is just being a troll.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 4:56 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Joz wrote:

Well, it would be more fun for ME because he would have instantly decked himself (draw 7 x 4 x 4 = draw 112 cards = lose game).

My problem with it is that it's staggeringly annoying. Nekusar + Wheel I totally get and think is fine. Adding Notion Thief is just being a troll.

Why would Notion Thief be trolling? It changes Nekusar from "just another boring Wheel deck" to a card advantage engine that requires an entirely different win condition...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 12:41 am 

Just Consecrated Sphinx and teach him a lesson about replacement effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 1:50 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Why would Notion Thief be trolling? It changes Nekusar from "just another boring Wheel deck" to a card advantage engine that requires an entirely different win condition...

Do you enjoy playing against Consecrated Sphinx? Staple Myojin of Night's Reach to it, and that's basically what you get. "I'm gonna draw all the cards, while you guys play topdeck go". Now imagine this happening about turn 3.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 4:13 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

Do you enjoy playing against Consecrated Sphinx? Staple Myojin of Night's Reach to it, and that's basically what you get. "I'm gonna draw all the cards, while you guys play topdeck go". Now imagine this happening about turn 3.

Notion Thief is grossly different from Consecrated Sphinx. One is immediate, severe card advantage with 0 other cards needed baring instant speed removal, the other can give immediate reactionary benefit or requires multiple other cards to gain any advantage at all. Thief is an "answer" to excessive card draw just like mass discard. Unlike other formats, you always have at least one spell to play so "top deck mode" isn't the end of the world.

Yes, it can get pretty broken with things like Teferi's Puzzle Box or Wheel effects but there are lots of soft lock two card combos that really don't break the game at all. Sphinx combos just as well with those wheel effects but digs twice as deep... I would rather play vs the Thief every time. .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-06 12:28 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Notion Thief is grossly different from Consecrated Sphinx. One is immediate, severe card advantage with 0 other cards needed baring instant speed removal, the other can give immediate reactionary benefit or requires multiple other cards to gain any advantage at all. Thief is an "answer" to excessive card draw just like mass discard. Unlike other formats, you always have at least one spell to play so "top deck mode" isn't the end of the world.

Yes, it can get pretty broken with things like Teferi's Puzzle Box or Wheel effects but there are lots of soft lock two card combos that really don't break the game at all. Sphinx combos just as well with those wheel effects but digs twice as deep... I would rather play vs the Thief every time. .

OK... first off, I am ONLY talking about NT combined with wheel effects. I am not comparing it to CS in a vacuum. Secondly, I never said it was broken. I said it was annoying. Things can piss you off without being OP. Thirdly, when your opponent plays CS and wheel, while they do draw more cards than with NT, you get to have cards too, which means you MIGHT get an answer to their shenannigans.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-08 4:59 pm 

Generally when a person that would actually include a Sphinx in a deck gets to pick up their entire deck, it's game regardless (unless they're just terrible). You can pretend that the situation is "better" because you might draw an "answer" but the reality is he has every answer to your answer in his hand as well.

Either situation is an "answer now or else" situation. That is how combo works although this is more of a soft combo. There is, however, a big difference between one card that does everything and a card that can do many things in combination with other cards. You can't really compare a combo to a single card though.

I had a game once in my Lazav deck where I had Teferi's Puzzle Box out, drew Notion Thief and played it, then cloned it TWICE before passing the turn just in case someone had an answer to it. My wife untapped and cast Aurelia's Fury and did a point of damage to each in her upkeep... Also could have removed the box. Either potential answer wouldn't have mattered if it were a sphinx.

One toughness with no evasion or protection; the easiest type of creature to remove in the game. He's an answer to one of the most easily exploited strategies as well. He's basically the perfect creature as far as balance goes. Easily answered, is an answer himself and can also be a huge threat w/ all draw effects.

Just like ramp, card draw is a strategy that can be too powerful in this format because people "don't like" the answers to it. Notion Thief can help answer both since you can't drop in lands if you don't draw them. It might suck to have one ruin your day when you think you're winning but it's definitely a very good card for the format which cannot be said about the Sphinx...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 6:20 am 

best feeling in my deck is to have Kresh on the field, opponents tapped out with a plague wind in my hand, and then I draw natural affinity cue evil grin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 11:40 pm 

best feeling in my deck is to play Maelstrom Wanderer for 17URG only from lands (without doubling effects) and still having mana over for spells.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-10 12:50 am 

Built a new (and highly questionable) Sasaya deck. Flipped her by turn 5.

Killed the Derevi player with an X=138 Mistcutter Hydra. (Somewhere around turn 14.) Hydra dies to the remaining player's Angel of Despair (after I countered Putrefy with Avoid Fate, though!)

Next turn, casually drop and active Tower of Fortunes with one basic Forest. Draw Silklash Spider and Wurmcalling. Kill the Angel and the two copies of it from Retraced Image, make 6 10/10 wurms.

Having "finite but huge" amounts of mana is really amusing to me. Really, my only regret is that I drew Wurmcalling instead of Centaur Glade. That would have made this ending perfect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 9:24 am 

my favourite chuckle moments are when I get to twincast or fork ramp spells in my mono red or izzet decks. I HAVE THE POWAAARRR i shout as I slam my two mana copy spell onto the table and search for lands. 8)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 9:28 am 

Also when I get to use phyrexian metamorph to copy epic artifacts like mind's eye that is SO COOL (only play one metamorph in one of my 13 decks so it happens super rarely). I also did an awesome trick the other day, cloning a Karrthus to gain control of a field of dragons ready to kill me and then keeping my karrthus and letting his die, felt good! nothing memorable came of the move, think someone wrathed but damn I was proud! haha

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 9:46 am 

maiden77 wrote:
Also when I get to use phyrexian metamorph to copy epic artifacts like mind's eye that is SO COOL (only play one metamorph in one of my 13 decks so it happens super rarely). I also did an awesome trick the other day, cloning a Karrthus to gain control of a field of dragons ready to kill me and then keeping my karrthus and letting his die, felt good! nothing memorable came of the move, think someone wrathed but damn I was proud! haha

Hop! Next time, let your own die as you'll lose everything when he recasts his general.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next