Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 10:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Using cards against their owners 101 - Funny
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-28 2:12 pm 

One of my favorite instances of this was actually a near miss. Four person game. Guy next to me is playing Geth, I'm on Norin, and then there was Teysa and Azami. Geth player had had his Mindslaver countered by the Azami player, who is now trying t to combo out. I have Goblin welder in play, so I decide to welder the Mindslaver back in for the Geth player to put the kibosh on the Azami madness. Mindslaver manages to come back, and the Azami player proceeds to dig through his entire deck for an answer. Eventually, after a bunch of complicated what-have-you, he manages to overload a cyclonic rift and bounce everything. We delayed the combo for a turn, then proceeded to get picked off by a giant Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts everyone had forgotten about because of the Azami shenanigans. I love Goblin Welder.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-29 12:02 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
We delayed the combo for a turn, then proceeded to get picked off by a giant Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts everyone had forgotten about because of the Azami shenanigans.

How did Teysa stay on the table through Cyclonic Rift?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-29 12:58 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:
We delayed the combo for a turn, then proceeded to get picked off by a giant Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts everyone had forgotten about because of the Azami shenanigans.

Maybe she got delay flickered, and returned at EOT?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-29 2:10 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:

Honestly I don't remember. I was too amused with the Welder shenanigans.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-03 8:57 am 

my Niv-Mizzet vs. Rosheen...Rosheen genesis wave's for 16...I commandeer it, then reverberate it...Rosheen scoops

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-01 4:33 am 

I have an especially juicy bit for you: A triple case!

I was playing a test game with my friend. We were testing his new Phenax deck and my trial for him in this case was Kurkesh (and Titania, but that's irrelevant to the story). So he drops Phenax amongst several other creatures and begins to grind libraries into tiny cardboard bits, when I draw into Avarice Totem. I used it to exchange Thran Dynamo for Phenax to shut him down.
I subsequently animated my Mishra's Factory. More precisely, my Thespian's Stage, copying Phenax's Mishra's Factory. I then equipped it with Slagwurm Armor. Which was, in fact, my Sculpting Steel, copying Phenax's Slagwurm Armor. That's a hattrick right there, folks 8)
So I take my (his) Factory, animate it, put my (his) armor on and use the ability granted by my (his) Phenax to mill the hell out of him. I go through the loops with the Factory, of course, because it's an artifact creature while animated, so I can copy the milling ability with Kurkesh that way :wink:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-01 9:54 pm 

Antis wrote:
So he drops Phenax amongst several other creatures and begins to grind libraries into tiny cardboard bits, when I draw into Avarice Totem. I used it to exchange Thran Dynamo for Phenax to shut him down.

Either you forgot to add an important detail here, or you need to reread how Avarice Totem works.

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-01 11:09 pm 

Maluko wrote:
Antis wrote:
So he drops Phenax amongst several other creatures and begins to grind libraries into tiny cardboard bits, when I draw into Avarice Totem. I used it to exchange Thran Dynamo for Phenax to shut him down.

Either you forgot to add an important detail here, or you need to reread how Avarice Totem works.
I apologize, that was a shortcut for:

1) Activate Totem, targeting my Thran Dynamo.
2) Copy the ability with Kurkesh, change the target of the copy to Phenax.
3) The copy resolves, exchanging Totem for Phenax.
4) The original ability resolves, exchanging Totem for Dynamo.

Net result: Exchange any nonland permanent I control for any one of my opponent's for 5R (assuming no interference).

BONUS: My friend pointed out to me the other day that if I control Sensei's Divining Top, I can do the above in response to activating the card drawing ability of the Top. The total result of that is stealing any nonland permanent and drawing one card for 6RR.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-02 3:56 am 

Antis wrote:
BONUS: My friend pointed out to me the other day that if I control Sensei's Divining Top, I can do the above in response to activating the card drawing ability of the Top. The total result of that is stealing any nonland permanent and drawing one card for 6RR.

The rule for "exchange" stops that trick; if there aren't two things to exchange, the exchange doesn't occur.

Edit for completeness sake:
Quote:
701.8a A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or
contro
l of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the
entire exchange can’t be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.

This rule is why Gilded Drake has one of the strangest lines of oracle text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-02 4:12 am 

JJackson wrote:
Antis wrote:

The rule for "exchange" stops that trick; if there aren't two things to exchange, the exchange doesn't occur.

The trick does work, if you do things in the right order.

Step 1: activate Top's ability, retaining priority,
Step 2: activate Totem, targeting the thing on the other side of the table,
Step 3: Kurkesh's triggered ability triggers. Assuming no responses, pay for the ability when it resolves and put a copy of Totem's ability on the stack, targeting the Top,
Step 4: the copied ability resolves, swapping control of the Totem and the thing on the other side,
Step 5: the original ability resolves, swapping control of the Totem and the Top,
Step 6: the Top's ability resolves, drawing you a card then bouncing it to the top of its owner's (I.e. your) Library.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Last edited by Masked Thespian on 2015-Mar-02 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-02 4:13 am 

JJackson wrote:
Gilded Drake has one of the strangest lines of oracle text.

For reference:
Gilded Drake wrote:
Flying

When Gilded Drake enters the battlefield, exchange control of Gilded Drake and up to one target creature an opponent controls. If you don't make an exchange, sacrifice Gilded Drake. This ability can't be countered except by spells and abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)

"can't be countered except by spells or abilities" doesn't appear on any other Magic card, and is necessary to make the card function as intended. It refers to the way an ability (or spell) is countered if all of its targets have become illegal by the time of resolution.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-02 5:07 am 

MT's got it almost right :)
Example wrote:
I control Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient, Sensei's Divining Top and Avarice Totem. The whole cycle would look like this:

1) Activate SDT to draw a card. This triggers Kurkesh. I pay R for the trigger and copy the ability.
2) With both SDT abilities still on stack, I activate AT targeting SDT. This triggers Kurkesh. I pay R for the trigger, copy the ability and change the target of the copy to whatever I want to steal.
The stack at this moment looks like this (leftmost is the first in, last out ability):

SDT :arrow: SDT(copy) :arrow: AT(SDT) :arrow: AT(copy)(whatever)

From this point, I'll just let it all resolve:
Example wrote:
3) Resolve AT(copy) :arrow: exchange AT with (whatever).
4) Resolve AT :arrow: exchange AT (now under another player's control) with SDT.
5) Resolve SDT(copy) :arrow: Draw a card, put SDT to the top of my library.
6) Resolve SDT :arrow: Draw a card (the SDT I put there a moment ago, assuming no interference).
7) Cast SDT.
The net result of this whole cycle is one stolen nonland permanent and one card drawn for me for the cost of 6RR (5 for the totem, RR for two Kurkesh's triggers and 1 to re-cast SDT). A sweet deal for a monored deck, I'd say :)

FYI, yes, it took me quite a few games to memorize this sequence right, so don't feel bad if you didn't see it right away. The most counterintuitive part, I feel, is the fact that you must target the permanent you want to give away with the original activation of the Totem, since that is the exchange that happens later, the one that gives the Totem back to you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-02 6:51 am 

Masked Thespian wrote:
The trick does work, if you do things in the right order.

Mmm, that is saucy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-10 6:33 am 

This happened yesterday, when I was testing my newest changes. One of the weirdest game starts I've seen. It's Evershrike vs. Ephara, God of the Polis:

Turn 1:
Shrike plays a Plains, casts Sol Ring and Orzhov Sigil
Ephara plays Halimar Depths.

Turn 2:
Shrike plays a Swamp, casts Evershrike.
Ephara plays a Plains, casts Gilded Drake, steals Evershrike, laughs madly.

Turn 3:
Shrike plays another Plains, casts Academy Rector, kills it immediately with Orzhov Charm, searches for Eldrazi Conscription, ANNIHILATES Ephara :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-10 7:03 am 

Antis wrote:
This happened yesterday, when I was testing my newest changes. One of the weirdest game starts I've seen. It's Evershrike vs. Ephara, God of the Polis:

Turn 1:
Shrike plays a Plains, casts Sol Ring and Orzhov Sigil
Ephara plays Halimar Depths.

Turn 2:
Shrike plays a Swamp, casts Evershrike.
Ephara plays a Plains, casts Gilded Drake, steals Evershrike, laughs madly.

Turn 3:
Shrike plays another Plains, casts Academy Rector, kills it immediately with Orzhov Charm, searches for Eldrazi Conscription, ANNIHILATES Ephara :twisted:

something is unclear here...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next