Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-16 4:27 pm

Post subject: Re: Commander preview cards
AgePosted: 2011-May-31 5:56 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
There will be a card here each day next week, and I'll have one on Monday and one on Wednesday on SCG...plus we'll be doing further art previews as well!

Does that mean we won't be seeing any more card previews this week? Or just that we'll be getting them on Mon/Wed/Fri this week and every day next week? (Guess based on Geno mentioning eight previews.

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth here, just asking for clarification. I got all excited when I heard that previews started on the 30th and then was disappointed when I checked the forums late last night for the second one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-31 6:47 pm 

You might want to hear this:
So, on Monday, this site uploaded the image of Edric a little early to an open directory.
Code:
http://mtgcommander.net/images/

But they were informed so as not to make the same mistake. They have uploaded a file today
Code:
Sbepr bs Jvyy.jpg

This file is currently forbidden.

BUT, if you put every letter through a ROT13 cipher you get Force of Will.

I'd preorder now if I had the cash. If this ends up helping you out, you owe me. ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-31 8:00 pm 

I hope there is one tonight. So far this preview week has been dull due to the leak.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-31 9:48 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
\Mana-charged Dragon.

Art by Mike Bierek.

Playmat please?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 1:16 pm 

So Sheldon said one monday, wednesday, and five next week. That makes 7/8 preview cards. Is there another this week or not?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 7:08 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

So when WotC said we could use high resolution art from the new set to spice up the site, one particular card caught my eye. Concocting crazy new decks is one of my favourite parts of edh, and this card has a great arcane, experimental feel.

I left the cardname partially intact to hint about what was coming, and a few people have enjoyed pairing that with the sneak peaks of the same legend on the outside of the box. They were wondering about "this guy", in particular, and since good speculation requires hints, here's some more...

Wait a sec... that's definitely not a "guy." She looks interesting though. Any bets as to her abilities (beyond what's visible on the box front? :) )

As always, please reference the artist (Steve Argyle), Wizards' copyright, and mtgcommander.net as the preview source if copying to other sites.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 7:27 pm 

Sweet. Legendary Gorgon. Most probably Black and Green. And depending on her abilities she might replace Sisters of Stone Death.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-01 7:37 pm 

My guess is:

Damia, Sage of Stone 1UBG
Legendary Creature - Gorgon Wizard
Deathtouch
Skip your draw step.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card.
3/4

Seems like there might be some ability that plays off deathtouch better, but maybe not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 3:51 am 

How about if she was like:

Damia, Sage of Stone
1UBG
Legendary Creature - Gorgon
1) XB - Target creature opponent controls gains deathtouch UEOT and must attack this turn if able (can only be used once per turn)
2) XU - If target creature opponent controls (would be/is) put into a graveyard from play this turn, draw a card (can only be used once per turn)
3) XG - Target creature opponent controls must block this turn if able (can only be used once per turn) (or gaines some sort of greenish ability UEOT)
3/4

Abilities I think that would be doable are rated from 1 to 3, with Cervid's "Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card." being more likely if just the first ability would exist.

Too many words, but meh, one can dream!

As for that Force of Will thingy, it's interesting, and it's not on the reserved list. Would there be some sort of "cycle" of cards, one of each color, that would be of the same coolness factor from the way back when machine that arn't on the reserved list that are legal only in vintage & legacy that most people would love to see reprinted in these decks?

W - Enlightened Tutor
U - Force of Will <--would be the speculated high-water mark.
B - Demonic Tutor
R - Sneak Attack
G - Natural Order
Art - Sol Ring
Land - Maze of Ith, Wasteland?

Depends how much WotC is paying attention to the secondary market, this is pure speculation...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 5:17 am 

I seem to remember seeing statements from various WotC-ers saying that while these cards are Eternal-legal, they were specifically not going to use this release to fuel Legacy or Vintage.

Seems like reprinting Wasteland, Natural Order, or Force Of Will would pretty much send speculation through the roof as the Legacy guys scramble to pick up cheap must-haves and dealers go through the roof to "correctly price" these things...

--->DJ

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 5:58 am 

Another card that will look spectacular as an oversized foil.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 2:45 pm 

So the commander logo... Is that a hand flipping the bird? Because that would actually make a lot of sense. At least at our tables.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 3:32 pm 

spammeister wrote:
How about if she was like:

Damia, Sage of Stone
1UBG
Legendary Creature - Gorgon
1) XB - Target creature opponent controls gains deathtouch UEOT and must attack this turn if able (can only be used once per turn)
2) XU - If target creature opponent controls (would be/is) put into a graveyard from play this turn, draw a card (can only be used once per turn)
3) XG - Target creature opponent controls must block this turn if able (can only be used once per turn) (or gaines some sort of greenish ability UEOT)
3/4

Abilities I think that would be doable are rated from 1 to 3, with Cervid's "Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card." being more likely if just the first ability would exist.

Too many words, but meh, one can dream!

As for that Force of Will thingy, it's interesting, and it's not on the reserved list. Would there be some sort of "cycle" of cards, one of each color, that would be of the same coolness factor from the way back when machine that arn't on the reserved list that are legal only in vintage & legacy that most people would love to see reprinted in these decks?

W - Enlightened Tutor
U - Force of Will <--would be the speculated high-water mark.
B - Demonic Tutor
R - Sneak Attack
G - Natural Order
Art - Sol Ring
Land - Maze of Ith, Wasteland?

Depends how much WotC is paying attention to the secondary market, this is pure speculation...

We know from pictures of the boxes that she has Deathtouch, and "Skip your draw...".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 5:39 pm 

She might have an ability that's a varient of Farsight Mask;
i.e.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you you may draw a card, or
Whenever you're dealt combat damage you may draw that many cards, and probably
BG: Target creature must attack you this turn, if able.

What I'd really like to see, though, is something like this:
Damia, Sage of Stone
UBG
First Strike, Regeneration
B: Regenerate
BG: Target creature must attack you this turn
Skip your draw step.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature put a Stone counter on the damaged creature and draw a card.
Creatures with Stone counters can't attack, or block, or use any activated abilities. Whenever a creature with a Stone counter becomes the target of a spell or abilitiy return that creature to its' owners hand.

4/3
Her embrace is eternal

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 7:32 pm 

I think I'm in love with Damia. Once the petrification ends, it won't matter though.

Offline Profile