Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-17 8:59 am

Post subject: Forum behavior
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-21 10:54 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

It seems EDH is becoming more popular every month, and with it the number of forum users has also expanded dramatically. Unfortunately, the forums have also seen some growing pains -- more people means more opinions and not all of them have been mature and well mannered in their expression.

The last few weeks have seen a downward spiral in forum behavior, with unilateral declarations, accusations, and attacks getting out of hand. I'd ask everyone to take a step back, remain calm and considerate when discussing things. I realize that many of have very strong opinions about this format we love, but we should keep our emotions in check. Think twice before submitting rebuttals and ask yourself if it's unnecessarily inflammatory. Hopefully we can all police ourselves and keep things civil and positive.

For those who don't, the moderators will.

Gavin
EDH Forum Admin

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-22 3:55 pm 

Seconded.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-22 7:48 pm 

I'd like to apologize for anything that I did (particularly in my discussion on Hybrid mana) that contributed to this downward spiral in forum behavior. I'll try harder keep my behavior in check in the future.

I would ask, though, that we develop a somewhat strong identity for what exactly is "needlessly inflammatory." While I would agree that the behavior of Horse and cmb_master was banworthy, for example, I don't know how close to "over the line" I was in my discussion of Hybrid mana. I thought that our conversation was fine, and I would expect my comments to be fine in most other forums, but in a forum as relaxed and as casual in nature as this one, my comments might have seemed to be a bit too strong. The locking of the thread certainly suggests that they were a bit too touchy for this forum. If they were, I'd like to again apologize, but I'd like to have it clearly set out what is and what is not acceptable before dropping the banhammer.

The Wrath of Konda
Project Group Hug (Phelddagrif)
Sakashima the Imposter, My Own Worst Enemy
Ixidor's Metamorphosis
Adamaro, First to Desire (Land destruction)
Turbowall (Gwafa Hazid)
Snakes on a Plane (Seshiro the Annointed)
Balthor's Army of Darkness
Heartless Hidetsugu and His Army of Pingers

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 10:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

No need to apologize, I had no problems with your discourse on the hybrid thread.. in fact you were one of the people who made notably good contributions. I locked the thread because the arguments were becoming circular and getting longer and longer with less and less new content. That's a strong sign that the discussion has run its useful course. [Trying to win an argument on the internet by convincing the other side is usually futile... a better practice is for each side to voice their opinions, offer refutations, and for a third party to weigh and judge them against each other].

True, there were a few shots back and forth, but as a rule I (and the other moderators) will try to warn people when they cross a line. You can look to some of my posts in that thread and elsewhere to see what kinds of things we think are unacceptable. Only particularly egregious offenses will be met with summary banning and/or post deletion if necessary.

That said, I'm not going to give rules for good behavior... if in doubt, err on the side of politeness and you'll be safe. Vicious device is the refuge of the weak minded. :)

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 12:21 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
No need to apologize, I had no problems with your discourse on the hybrid thread.. in fact you were one of the people who made notably good contributions. I locked the thread because the arguments were becoming circular and getting longer and longer with less and less new content. That's a strong sign that the discussion has run its useful course. [Trying to win an argument on the internet by convincing the other side is usually futile... a better practice is for each side to voice their opinions, offer refutations, and for a third party to weigh and judge them against each other].

True, there were a few shots back and forth, but as a rule I (and the other moderators) will try to warn people when they cross a line. You can look to some of my posts in that thread and elsewhere to see what kinds of things we think are unacceptable. Only particularly egregious offenses will be met with summary banning and/or post deletion if necessary.

That said, I'm not going to give rules for good behavior... if in doubt, err on the side of politeness and you'll be safe. Vicious device is the refuge of the weak minded. :)

G

Oh, OK. Well, I'm glad that my general sense of things isn't too far out of touch with what is expected. Thanks for clearing that up, and so long as behavior is warned before being banned, I'm cool with the forum policy. Thanks for clearing that up!

The Wrath of Konda
Project Group Hug (Phelddagrif)
Sakashima the Imposter, My Own Worst Enemy
Ixidor's Metamorphosis
Adamaro, First to Desire (Land destruction)
Turbowall (Gwafa Hazid)
Snakes on a Plane (Seshiro the Annointed)
Balthor's Army of Darkness
Heartless Hidetsugu and His Army of Pingers

Offline Profile