Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Nov-22 1:57 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-11 5:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Oct-18 8:52 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oz
troacctid wrote:
This came up in another thread...why do we have Rule 4 (can't produce off-color mana) in addition to Rule 3 (banning off-color activations entirely)? Why is it part of the format? It strikes me as redundant.

Rule 3 only bans them from your deck; it doesn't stop you from using Control Magic etc. to play an opponent's off-(your)-colour abilities.
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

_________________
Kalterwolf wrote:
Shatter and Bloodshot Trainee may be confirmed via Orb of Insight, but dont quote me on it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-11 7:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Mar-24 12:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oakland, CA
Daf wrote:
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

True for Urborg, not for Lattice. Lattice and Celestial Dawn, among a few others, will let you use off-color activations of stolen/donated permanents, because the mana you are adding is not the wrong color, you simply may spend it as though it were another color.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-12 2:54 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Oct-18 8:52 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oz
intreped wrote:
Daf wrote:
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

True for Urborg, not for Lattice. Lattice and Celestial Dawn, among a few others, will let you use off-color activations of stolen/donated permanents, because the mana you are adding is not the wrong color, you simply may spend it as though it were another color.

Ahh, true. That will learn me to throw in a second example without RTFC properly. :)

_________________
Kalterwolf wrote:
Shatter and Bloodshot Trainee may be confirmed via Orb of Insight, but dont quote me on it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Aug-19 10:42 pm 

Joined: 2010-Aug-10 4:11 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: akron,OH
Moderator: Not an FAQ suggestion. Removed. Try the "Ban X" thread instead.

_________________
Adventure..excitement....A jedi craves not these things....only the MOON CABAGE


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Aug-24 8:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Oct-18 8:52 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oz
I suggest a FAQ for how to include card tags in your decklist posts (http://manabase.com/autocard.php)

_________________
Kalterwolf wrote:
Shatter and Bloodshot Trainee may be confirmed via Orb of Insight, but dont quote me on it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 12:35 pm 

Joined: 2010-Sep-08 9:21 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Is there a definitive answer on the Legendary Creature rule and how it applies to EDH? Also, is this rule being treated differently in the Commander format on MTGO?

I noticed two players were allowed to have the same Legendary Creature out if both were Generals, but if I Cloned or otherwise tried to duplicate said Legendary, only my copy was immediately nuked. However, if I Cloned a non-General Legendary creature, both copies were destroyed. Is this how it works IRL?

_________________
Current generals:

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 12:40 pm 

Joined: 2010-Sep-08 9:21 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Going by Rule 14:

Generals are subject to the Legend rule; they will be put into the graveyard or command zone at the same time as any other Legendary creatures with the same name.

This is definitely NOT how it works in Commander, which is really annoying for decks that duplicate a lot of creatures. Now that the recent patch created a zone just for Generals (and emblems), I was under the impression that Commander and EDH had the same rules. Apparently this is not the case.

_________________
Current generals:

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-17 5:38 pm 

Joined: 2010-Oct-17 5:27 pm
Age: Hatchling
I know it has been said, but...

Tsabo Tavoc. Once you hit 7 mana, no hero can survive without blocking activated abilities. I admit, Arrest helps, but then we're tying up a hero -- something we don't want.

I know people argue Kaervek, but to directly target generals and to out and out destroy them...ugh. The summoning costs would become outrageous.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-17 5:41 pm 

Joined: 2010-Oct-17 5:27 pm
Age: Hatchling
By the way - thanks for knocking out O-Ring on a general. That got annoying.

However, now Arrest can tie up a general indefinitely. I know an enchantment-thrashing spell can free him up, but the only difference between that and O-Ring for a general with activated abilities is that you could fry your own general with Arrest. (But maybe being able to fry him and "activated abilities" versus "static abilities" are enough).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-21 9:35 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
DiamondLOD wrote:
I know it has been said, but...

Tsabo Tavoc. Once you hit 7 mana, no hero can survive without blocking activated abilities. I admit, Arrest helps, but then we're tying up a hero -- something we don't want.

I know people argue Kaervek, but to directly target generals and to out and out destroy them...ugh. The summoning costs would become outrageous.

Is this a request to ban Tsabo Tavoc? I'm not sure what your point is, but Tsabo is not ruining the format and is not going to be banned.
DiamondLOD wrote:
By the way - thanks for knocking out O-Ring on a general. That got annoying.

However, now Arrest can tie up a general indefinitely. I know an enchantment-thrashing spell can free him up, but the only difference between that and O-Ring for a general with activated abilities is that you could fry your own general with Arrest. (But maybe being able to fry him and "activated abilities" versus "static abilities" are enough).

2 things about this;
1. Arrest was printed years before O-ring, so saying "now arrest is a problem" doesn't make any sense chronologically.
2. O-ring has not really changed. Pre command zone you could still re-cast your general from exile after it was O-ringed. Now you move it to the command zone when it's ringed and re-cast it. Either way, O-ring did not dispose of generals in any permanent fashion.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-21 3:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Oct-18 8:52 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oz
Plus, also, completely wrong thread.

_________________
Kalterwolf wrote:
Shatter and Bloodshot Trainee may be confirmed via Orb of Insight, but dont quote me on it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-24 6:02 pm 

Joined: 2007-Jun-04 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Gainsville, FL
intreped wrote:
Daf wrote:
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

True for Urborg, not for Lattice. Lattice and Celestial Dawn, among a few others, will let you use off-color activations of stolen/donated permanents, because the mana you are adding is not the wrong color, you simply may spend it as though it were another color.

Sunglasses of Urza is a terrible but funny card that works well. Talk about flavor.

_________________
Growing Darkness, taking Dawn; I was me, but now he is gone - Metallica, "Fade to Black"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 10:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Oct-14 7:43 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Daf wrote:
troacctid wrote:
This came up in another thread...why do we have Rule 4 (can't produce off-color mana) in addition to Rule 3 (banning off-color activations entirely)? Why is it part of the format? It strikes me as redundant.

Rule 3 only bans them from your deck; it doesn't stop you from using Control Magic etc. to play an opponent's off-(your)-colour abilities.
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

Kind of a late reply, but...yeah, duh. That's what the rule does. I was asking about why we need a rule that does this in the first place.

Anyway, still no sign of an FAQ. Hopefully someone in a position to post one will get around to it. :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-29 8:14 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-09 4:17 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Calgary, AB
It's on the schedule for late November/early December as part of a bundle of site updates.

G

_________________
Remember: Most legendary creatures have a gender, and most non-legendary ones don't! Use proper pronouns! ;)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-05 1:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Oct-27 10:19 am
Age: Drake
Location: Midwest, USA
I would suggest adding a rule that bans the use of other legendary creatures beyond the player's general. In my opinion, the ability to add plainwalkers and other legendary baddies to one's deck after the general is counter intuitive and convolutes the rule about having a general in the first place.

Think about it. You announce your general, whom which is a legendary creature, and then you play a deck that is riddled with other legendary creatures. Basically, in this context, you are playing more than one general in certain respects. And, yes, I fully understand that these other legendary creatures aren't treated in the same manner as the player's general (i.e. the command area, etc), but they seem to (imoh) take away from the concept of having a general...
Apart from my opinions on the matter, I do hear the question about the ability to play more than one legendary creature and plainswalkers asked.


Last edited by Majus on 2010-Nov-17 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: