Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-22 1:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-11 5:27 pm 

troacctid wrote:
This came up in another thread...why do we have Rule 4 (can't produce off-color mana) in addition to Rule 3 (banning off-color activations entirely)? Why is it part of the format? It strikes me as redundant.

Rule 3 only bans them from your deck; it doesn't stop you from using Control Magic etc. to play an opponent's off-(your)-colour abilities.
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-11 7:19 pm 

Daf wrote:
Rule 4 says that even with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth or Mycosynth Lattice in play you can't generate the off-colour mana.

True for Urborg, not for Lattice. Lattice and Celestial Dawn, among a few others, will let you use off-color activations of stolen/donated permanents, because the mana you are adding is not the wrong color, you simply may spend it as though it were another color.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-12 2:54 am 

intreped wrote:
Daf wrote:

True for Urborg, not for Lattice. Lattice and Celestial Dawn, among a few others, will let you use off-color activations of stolen/donated permanents, because the mana you are adding is not the wrong color, you simply may spend it as though it were another color.

Ahh, true. That will learn me to throw in a second example without RTFC properly. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-19 10:42 pm 

Moderator: Not an FAQ suggestion. Removed. Try the "Ban X" thread instead.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-24 8:49 pm 

I suggest a FAQ for how to include card tags in your decklist posts (http://manabase.com/autocard.php)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 12:35 pm 

Is there a definitive answer on the Legendary Creature rule and how it applies to EDH? Also, is this rule being treated differently in the Commander format on MTGO?

I noticed two players were allowed to have the same Legendary Creature out if both were Generals, but if I Cloned or otherwise tried to duplicate said Legendary, only my copy was immediately nuked. However, if I Cloned a non-General Legendary creature, both copies were destroyed. Is this how it works IRL?

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 12:40 pm 

Going by Rule 14:

Generals are subject to the Legend rule; they will be put into the graveyard or command zone at the same time as any other Legendary creatures with the same name.

This is definitely NOT how it works in Commander, which is really annoying for decks that duplicate a lot of creatures. Now that the recent patch created a zone just for Generals (and emblems), I was under the impression that Commander and EDH had the same rules. Apparently this is not the case.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-17 5:38 pm 

I know it has been said, but...

Tsabo Tavoc. Once you hit 7 mana, no hero can survive without blocking activated abilities. I admit, Arrest helps, but then we're tying up a hero -- something we don't want.

I know people argue Kaervek, but to directly target generals and to out and out destroy them...ugh. The summoning costs would become outrageous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-17 5:41 pm 

By the way - thanks for knocking out O-Ring on a general. That got annoying.

However, now Arrest can tie up a general indefinitely. I know an enchantment-thrashing spell can free him up, but the only difference between that and O-Ring for a general with activated abilities is that you could fry your own general with Arrest. (But maybe being able to fry him and "activated abilities" versus "static abilities" are enough).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-21 9:35 am 

DiamondLOD wrote:
I know it has been said, but...

Tsabo Tavoc. Once you hit 7 mana, no hero can survive without blocking activated abilities. I admit, Arrest helps, but then we're tying up a hero -- something we don't want.

I know people argue Kaervek, but to directly target generals and to out and out destroy them...ugh. The summoning costs would become outrageous.

Is this a request to ban Tsabo Tavoc? I'm not sure what your point is, but Tsabo is not ruining the format and is not going to be banned.
DiamondLOD wrote:
By the way - thanks for knocking out O-Ring on a general. That got annoying.

However, now Arrest can tie up a general indefinitely. I know an enchantment-thrashing spell can free him up, but the only difference between that and O-Ring for a general with activated abilities is that you could fry your own general with Arrest. (But maybe being able to fry him and "activated abilities" versus "static abilities" are enough).

2 things about this;
1. Arrest was printed years before O-ring, so saying "now arrest is a problem" doesn't make any sense chronologically.
2. O-ring has not really changed. Pre command zone you could still re-cast your general from exile after it was O-ringed. Now you move it to the command zone when it's ringed and re-cast it. Either way, O-ring did not dispose of generals in any permanent fashion.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-21 3:50 pm 

Plus, also, completely wrong thread.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-24 6:02 pm 

intreped wrote:
Daf wrote:

Sunglasses of Urza is a terrible but funny card that works well. Talk about flavor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 10:49 pm 

Daf wrote:
troacctid wrote:
This came up in another thread...why do we have Rule 4 (can't produce off-color mana) in addition to Rule 3 (banning off-color activations entirely)? Why is it part of the format? It strikes me as redundant.

Rule 3 only bans them from your deck; it doesn't stop you from using Control Magic etc. to play an opponent's off-(your)-colour abilities.

Kind of a late reply, but...yeah, duh. That's what the rule does. I was asking about why we need a rule that does this in the first place.

Anyway, still no sign of an FAQ. Hopefully someone in a position to post one will get around to it. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-29 8:14 am 
EDH Rules Committee

It's on the schedule for late November/early December as part of a bundle of site updates.

G

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-05 1:47 am 

I would suggest adding a rule that bans the use of other legendary creatures beyond the player's general. In my opinion, the ability to add plainwalkers and other legendary baddies to one's deck after the general is counter intuitive and convolutes the rule about having a general in the first place.

Think about it. You announce your general, whom which is a legendary creature, and then you play a deck that is riddled with other legendary creatures. Basically, in this context, you are playing more than one general in certain respects. And, yes, I fully understand that these other legendary creatures aren't treated in the same manner as the player's general (i.e. the command area, etc), but they seem to (imoh) take away from the concept of having a general...
Apart from my opinions on the matter, I do hear the question about the ability to play more than one legendary creature and plainswalkers asked.

Last edited by Majus on 2010-Nov-17 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next