Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 5:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call for FAQs
AgePosted: 2010-May-31 10:50 am 

The legality of Trinisphere (Colored mana reminder text) and Soul Burn(Old printing had R mana symbol) and the Bringers used to be a hot topic of debate

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 10:52 am 

Genomancer wrote:
(If the General is in an identical sleeve, there are other minor steps players can take to make sure it doesn't get "lost in exile")

I'm late to commenting on this, but I would like to state that what I would do in these cases (and even in contrast to different sleeves) is to visibly mark the back of the sleeve itself.

This causes, other than when it is on the top of the deck or near the top as given by an effect such as scry, that the position of the general is usually unknown while the location is.

I really don't like the idea of someone putting their general in a different sleeve, though. There are too many effects similar to say... Phyrexian Portal (which comes up quite a bit, at least for me) that it messes with the game with, where it exceeds more than just location.

--Though, I must ask, shouldn't this be more in a rules discussion rather than a FAQ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 4:09 pm 

If Generalness is a property does this mean that each summon of a general is considered the same summon?

e.g. Will Circu, Dimir Lobotomist's third ability stay active even after he has left play and returned? or will casting Artificial Evolution on Reaper King stick between castings?

(This has probably been asked a million times but how does one get the card images to pop up?)

Last edited by Fadier on 2010-Jun-21 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 5:29 pm 

No. The card is a new object, even though its Generalness stays the same.
Fadier wrote:
(This has probably been asked a million times but how does one get the card images to pop up?)

Don't put "=" after "card" and use / instead of \ at the end.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 7:05 pm 

Drat, I had / initially and changed it :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-23 5:52 pm 

How morphed/ face down generals work (do they do 2 general damage? Can you somehow turn them back up?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-23 5:53 pm 

People ask the wishes question an awful lot these days.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-23 5:57 pm 

Urtho wrote:
Philatio wrote:
I think there's better justification in unbanning Library of Alexandria, since it's cheaper in cost than these others, can go in nearly any deck, and yet it has multitudes of answers. Not to mention it's unbanned in type1 and they aren't playing more than on, because they want blue mana. Similarly, our highest priority in EDH is the lushness of our colored mana, which LoA does not produce, so I don't think we'd run 4 if we did. LoA has tons of answers, isn't abusive and is the weakest of the card of its ilk.

LoA is not banned, but it IS restricted in Vintage, thus the reason to not run more than one. If it was an option I would not be surprised to see a deck that came about designed to abuse it.

Most of the discusson on themanadrain.com seems to indicate blue control decks would not use more than one LOA, even if it were unrestricted. I'd argue colored mana is just as important, if not more, in this format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-23 6:01 pm 

"Can I use off-color multilands in my deck - they don't have mana symbols on them. I want to make High Tide / Bubbling Muck better."

I have heard this one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 10:22 pm 

zimagic wrote:
intreped wrote:
zimagic wrote:
I'm fairly sure that Exiled face down is not a public zone though.

Comp Rules wrote:
400.2. Public zones are zones in which all players can see the cards' faces, except for those cards that some rule or effect specifically allow to be face down. Graveyard, battlefield, stack, exile, ante, and command are public zones. Hidden zones are zones in which not all players can be expected to see the cards' faces. Library and hand are hidden zones, even if all the cards in one such zone happen to be revealed.

It says quite clearly that it is, although that's more than a little bit awkward for Jester's Scepter, Grimoire Thief, and Shared Fate in "normal" Magic as well as EDH.

Maybe my understanding of Eenglish isn't so good but:
Comp Rules wrote:
400.2. Public zones are zones in which all players can see the cards' faces, except for those cards that some rule or effect specifically allow to be face down.

...seems to suggest that Exiled face down is not a public zone.

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but I think you need to be a little clearer than just reposting the same comp rule that validates my arguament allows you to be. :?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure necropotence doesn't let any player look at the cards, until the end of turn, when the owner of Necro gets to see them once they are in his hand. This made the "old way" of wishes working to be very difficult to interpret with necro, especially the ones that specified a type to get.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-08 12:10 pm 

There is no "exiled face down" zone. There is simply an Exile zone, and a card placed in exile is face-up and visible to all players unless a card or effect says otherwise. If such an effect exists, then nobody can look at the card except players that are specifically allowed to by that effect. So with Necropotence, there is no looking for anybody.

On a related note, are there any cards that cause graveyards or parts of graveyards to be face-down?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-08 12:28 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
On a related note, are there any cards that cause graveyards or parts of graveyards to be face-down?

No. Wizards has been very careful with avoiding that. If you can find a card trick to pull it off anyways, there is still the problem of the following rule:

Quote:
404.2. Each graveyard is kept in a single face-up pile. A player can examine the cards in any graveyard at any time but normally can't change their order. Additional rules applying to DCI-sanctioned tournaments may allow a player to change the order of cards in his or her graveyard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-08 4:53 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
There is no "exiled face down" zone. There is simply an Exile zone, and a card placed in exile is face-up and visible to all players unless a card or effect says otherwise. If such an effect exists, then nobody can look at the card except players that are specifically allowed to by that effect. So with Necropotence, there is no looking for anybody.

With Jester's Scepter you can permanently remove a general from the game if you set it up right. At least that is my understanding of the ability and the replacement effects for a general. Even if they know their general is one of the cards exiled, since it is face-down they wouldn't be able to return it to the command zone.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-09 6:04 pm 

Fadier wrote:
If Generalness is a property does this mean that each summon of a general is considered the same summon?

e.g. Will Circu, Dimir Lobotomist's third ability stay active even after he has left play and returned? or will casting Artificial Evolution on Reaper King stick between castings?

There is a "card" button below the "bold" button; that's the easiest way. I asked the same question a few weeks ago (actually I suggested this feature before I was informed it already existed).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-11 5:16 pm 

Boshea wrote:
With Jester's Scepter you can permanently remove a general from the game if you set it up right. At least that is my understanding of the ability and the replacement effects for a general. Even if they know their general is one of the cards exiled, since it is face-down they wouldn't be able to return it to the command zone.

Sorry but, no, that won't work; Geno clarified this on the previous page:
Genomancer wrote:
...the location of a General is known to all players at any time no matter which zone it's in, or whether it's face down/face up. That includes being in the library or face-down from something like Tuck+Grimoire Thief, and it means a player has the option to Command-zone their General instead of it being exiled face down.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next