Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:17 am

Post subject: Panoptic Mirror
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 2:55 am 

First, before I start discussing it, I want it to be known that this isn't me trying to say that Panoptic Mirror should be unbanned.

I was just curious about the specific causes that led to the banning of panoptic mirror as a card. Is it mostly for the ability to pay 5, imprint time warp and win the game? Is there something else that I'm just missing? I can see that the whole take infinite extra turns thing on a 2 card combo would be pretty annoying for 5 mana, but I just want to make sure that's the main reason. I mostly ask because I know that the RC is very careful about their bans and they really try to avoid banning cards with applications that aren't degenerate, so I'm guessing that panoptic mirror ended up being really degenerate. I don't know much of the long-term history of the format, so I'm not really sure what led to the Mirror being banned, and would really appreciate knowing (mostly to sate my own curiosity).

See, told you that I wasn't going to start pushing for an unban. I would also appreciate it if this didn't turn into a "Unban this card" thread!

Thraximundar - Thraximundar hates you. A lot.
Animar, Soul of Elements - Animar's Petting Zoo
Ghave, Guru of Spores - Token Control
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Reanimation Beatdown
Kangee, Aerie Keeper - Birds!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Panoptic Mirror
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 5:13 am 

It's not just that Time Warp can be put on the mirror for infinite turns, it's that so many other spells, that seems cool to put on it, end up being not-fun.

Armageddon (or similar effects) is one category of spell that falls under this, any discard (especially mass discard), and I'm sure there are others as well.

It's just one of those cards that look like it should be fun in this kind of format - but ends up making games suck for almost everyone involved more times than not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 6:59 am 

Its banned mostly because you can just toss anything on it, then counterspell whatever tries to blow it up. Then you win.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 7:54 am 

The fact that so many cards can be put on it effectively makes Panoptic Mirror a one card combo. This is similar to Protean Hulk is in the same boat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 8:06 am 

I'm pretty sure it was originally banned for its interaction with extra turn effects.

More recently, Sheldon requested that people test it and see if it could be a fun card in circles not trying to abuse it. The general consensus was that it was even worse that people thought it would be, ruining games pretty much regardless of what was imprinted on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 4:36 pm 

Alright, thanks for all the information guys. I really appreciate the quick answers.

Thraximundar - Thraximundar hates you. A lot.
Animar, Soul of Elements - Animar's Petting Zoo
Ghave, Guru of Spores - Token Control
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Reanimation Beatdown
Kangee, Aerie Keeper - Birds!!!

Offline Profile