All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 6:25 pm

Post subject: Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [Sea Monster Jank]
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-23 10:14 pm 

Sail the Scrying Seas

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Quote:
"Into its maw went the seventh sea, never to be seen again while the world remains."
—Esper fable

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Quote:
Multiplayer Vorthos Jank Deck

I have attempted to build a super janktastic sea monster deck based on Quest for Ula's Temple. Focuses on fetching Torpor Orb and some way to cheat monsters into play (Quest for Ula's Temple, Summoner's Egg, Quicksilver Amulet, etc). Lots of scry/filter effects, and as many on bodies as possible.

Built for casual multiplayer. Trying to build a less powerful, more fun deck than usual.

Looking for some input / ideas of how to make this work, or anything blatantly missing. Thanks!

Quote:
My Metagame

I generally play with a group of three other guys. Two of them I have been playing with for ~2 years, and the other is new to our circle (as well as the game). It is a casual group, though we play to win. We combo out on occasion, build ridiculous board states only to lose the game two turns later, and occasionally we are too wasted to remember to draw. We drink, we smoke, and we call each other names alluding to our inferior genetics and/or obscure sexual preferences. Typical guy's night out, kitchen-table shenanigans.

Player "X": This is me. Played when I was in elementary school, and just picked up the game again two years ago. I am a Johnny, through and through. My "Good U/C" boxes are full of interesting cards, as well as time-tested staples. I read on other people's strategies before building decks, and will occasionally order 30+ cards because I've never played a specific archetype before. I love to combo out, or create vast armies of tokens. I play green in almost every deck. I favor pillow forts over control, and I favor utility over strength. I don't win all my games, but it's usually splashy when I do.
Player X: Johnny, BUGW, Combo/Token.

Player "N": Long-time player, occasional standard FNM or Modern tourney. He's our Spike. He plays blue and/or black in every deck. Grixis is no stranger to our table. He has the largest, and most impressive collection at the table, and his decks show this He is my arch-nemesis, and has been for a while. We take most opportunities to stop the other in their tracks, regardless if they're the biggest threat at the time. He favors hard removal, well-timed sweepers, and counter-spells.
Player N: Spike, UBRG, Removal/Counters.

Player "J": My former roommate, started playing about three months after I did. With a gracious donation of THOUSANDS of cards from a co-worker, we began cobbling together causal 60-cards deck to bring to our regular gathering. When Player N started playing EDH, so did we. He favors large creatures, splashy spells, and tends not to remove threats until they affect him directly. His favorite deck is Mayael, and he continuously looks for ways to improve it. He relies on packs for his staples, rarely making the trip to our LGS or ordering singles.
Player J: Timmy/Johnny, RGWU, Fatties/High CMC.

Player "A": Brand-new player. No experience in constructed, started playing EDH with us a couple months ago using C13 pre-cons and donated staples. His card pool is narrow, new, and inexpensive. He is slowly learning the ropes, and we coach him as best we can. He gets to "redo" or "rethink" when needed. Prefers large effects and keeps to himself when playing. We try not to kick his teeth in too hard, unless absolutely necessary. Currently playing Jaleva and Derevi.
Player A: Ultra-Timmy, WUBRG, "It looked good."

Terrors from the Depths
More to come...

Chants of the Drowned
More to come...

Treasures of the Seven Seas
More to come...

Isles of the Dead
More to come...

Changelog
Needs more ... cinnamon? — Jan. 12, 2014
The deck needed a little something. Was it nutmeg? Cinnamon? Pinch of salt? Nah, it was card advantage. Got rid of some of the scry for more draw/filter cards, plus added some plain draw and clones.

Out:
-1 Eater of Days: Quite possibly the most detrimental hard-cast if Torpor Orb is not in play. Even more devastating than Jokulmorder .
-1 Viscera Seer: Wasn't doing enough, and this isn't a sac deck. Sorry, bud.
-1 Coldsteel Heart: You are the weakest rock.
-1 Memory Jar: I have too many artifacts, and I already am running Magus of the Jar .
-1 Cryptic Gateway: Too conditional to rely on as a cheater. What if I only have one leviathan?
-1 Library of Leng: Is sort of bonkers with Memory Jar /Magus of the Jar , but I don't have enough draw to require it.
-1 Sage Owl: Simply worse than Augury Owl .

In:
+1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter: Repeatable, reusable copy. Copy fatties, yessir! And works really well if Torpor Orb goes missing, because when I morph, it's not actual ETB.
+1 Clone: I never thought I'd run him after they changed the Legendary rule. It's been a while since I needed to copy my own threats. I usually just run a different threat.
+1 Preordain: Scry + Draw = Win
+1 Foresee: Just the big sister to Preordain . Freaky four-eyes.
+1 Raven Familiar: Filter and draw, ca-caw, ca-caw!
+1 Bident of Thassa: Draw off my massive combat damage, or make my opponent's utility creatures swing into a wall of leviathans.
+1 Sphinx of Uthuun: It's Fact or Fiction on a body. And Ula's Temple needs bodies. Plus, the body is a flying beatstick.

Mana:
+2 Island // -2 Swamp

Quick Change — Jan. 25, 2014
Just one card in/one card out. Tore apart my Vorel deck, so I had some extra goodstuffs.

Out:
-1 Clockspinning: Meta-dependent card that has been under-performing.

In:
+1 Rite of Replication: Now with 5x more Clone!

** Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UG Combo-Infect]
** Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [UB Sea Monster Jank]

TappedOut: ErantyInt

Last edited by Eran on 2014-Jan-25 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [Sea Monster Jank]
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-24 1:10 am 

Maybe it's just because I love Coleridge, but I think 4th Ed. Scathe Zombies and Will-o'-the-Wisp would be fun, janky, and on-theme.

Out of BNG, that new guy, Tromokratis looks good. There's also some common/uncommon krakens coming out in the next set too, but I forget what they do. Other classics include Leviathan (the one and only), Denizen of the Deep (fun with Torpor Orb), Marjhan (surprisingly good, mostly for the ping ability), and Trench Gorger (lands are overrated).

Not really understanding Clockspinning on this list. Fake proliferate with Skellyboat's -1/-1 counters? If that's the main purpose, Inexorable Tide might work just as well. Wind down the Mercadian kraken faster? He doesn't seem that important. Meta card? I guess I could see that.

Levitation or one of its variants might be good either on offense or defense. Not only does it push your guys through, but you seem to be somewhat vulnerable to flyers. Predator, Flagship also adds spot removal if you've got mana lying around.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [Sea Monster Jank]
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-25 10:18 am 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
Maybe it's just because I love Coleridge, but I think 4th Ed. Scathe Zombies and Will-o'-the-Wisp would be fun, janky, and on-theme.

Out of BNG, that new guy, Tromokratis looks good. There's also some common/uncommon krakens coming out in the next set too, but I forget what they do. Other classics include Leviathan (the one and only), Denizen of the Deep (fun with Torpor Orb), Marjhan (surprisingly good, mostly for the ping ability), and Trench Gorger (lands are overrated).

Not really understanding Clockspinning on this list. Fake proliferate with Skellyboat's -1/-1 counters? If that's the main purpose, Inexorable Tide might work just as well. Wind down the Mercadian kraken faster? He doesn't seem that important. Meta card? I guess I could see that.

Levitation or one of its variants might be good either on offense or defense. Not only does it push your guys through, but you seem to be somewhat vulnerable to flyers. Predator, Flagship also adds spot removal if you've got mana lying around.

Clockspinning is a total meta card, but it also allows you to pop off Quest for Ula's Temple in one turn. It really hasn't been performing up to snuff though. I just cut it for Rite of Replication to add another clone (or five).

** Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UG Combo-Infect]
** Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [UB Sea Monster Jank]

TappedOut: ErantyInt

Offline Profile